people asking what was going on

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2011.
ninja_girl21
Obsessed Poster

Post by ninja_girl21 »

i hated when someone ask me in broken english what was going on. i like dude it is anime conevention. one person like were is it. i like go straight you find it.
i been going to anime boston since 2004
meerkat
Expert Poster

Post by meerkat »

you like no right to talk bout broken english cause like you no type properly. Stop trying.
Toph88
Expert Poster

Post by Toph88 »

I actually got hit on by someone asking me what was going on. It was kinda odd seeing how I was crossplaying at the time. But yeah, I was asked a few times throughout the con, in the mall area, what was going on & why everyone was dressed up. I was nice to them seeing how most people still don't know what Anime is & whatnot ^^;;
Cons been to: Anime Boston '09, '11, '12, '13, '14
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

[quote=scd250]you like no right to talk bout broken english cause like you no type properly. Stop trying.[/quote]

And stop trolling threads if you have nothing to contribute other than berating other posters.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
Salith
Obsessed Poster

Post by Salith »

I guess this can turn into a thread about stories about people asking you what was going on? If so I have one:

My friend and I were dressed as HarleyQuinn and Joker. We were staying at the Marriot Hotel and were heading back up to our room. We were on the 26th floor so it took a while.

There was this little old lady looking around the elevator (since there were a few other cosplayers in there at the same time) and she asked what was going on.

We explained an Anime Convention, a con for japanese animation, comics and culture (simple as that).

She asked us how long it lasted and my friend told her "The entire weekend, it ends tomorrow and then boston can return back to normal from it's chaotic state (something along those lines).

She smiled and laughed and it was her floor and told us to have a wonderful time and she left.
kumorin
Getting the hang of this...

Post by kumorin »

A ton of non-congoers asked me what was going on, both in the mall and in the hotel elevator/lobby/halls. Even on the T to south station (we were carrying our props and stuff, not a recommended course of action if you actually like them). Most people were pretty cool about it :] I love how parents use us to make their kids stop crying XD
Aviflora
Determined Poster

Post by Aviflora »

Since I didn't dress up this year (super sadface), I was often asked what was going on.

I was riding up the lulevator (full of lulz) and a quaint old couple came in with me. Their faces were completely filled with curiosity, so I took the initiative to ask them if they knew what was going on. It was adorable! The little old woman said how she loved the costumes and how it was so exciting for her, whereas the husband was like... "Yeah, I have no idea." They were coincidentally staying the entire weekend, and we had a quick chat before they got off. Very nice, open people. :D
AB '07 - Myself <3
AB '08 - Orihime Inoue [Bleach]
AB '09 - Miwako Sakurada [Paradise KISS]
AB '10 - Did not attend :C
AB '11 - Myself
AB '12 - Summoner Yuna [FFX]
AB '13 - Summoner Yuna [FFX]
AB '14 - Summoner Yuna [FFX]

AB '15 - Ruby Rose [RWBY]
AB '16 - Ruby Rose [RWBY]
AB '17 - Season 4 Ruby Rose [RWBY],
Yennefer [Witcher 3]
lordshamus
AB Staff

Post by lordshamus »

One of the things I like to do at con is treat my lungs with the same contempt that I treat my liver, and that means a lot of stops at the smoking areas. These tend to be located at the periphery of the venue, which is the *perfect* place to run into wicked confused normies. It seems like every time I went out, someone would ask me "what's up with the costumes". One older woman pushing a baby carriage asked me if we were protesting something. Maybe Tuan should start making "SO YOU WANT TO KNOW WHAT A CON IS?" pamphlets.

I remember last year, some people attended church services in cosplay and that freaked out some of the olds, but I didn't hear anything about it this year.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Shamus Mahan
Legatus Legionis
AB Security
Consul
NEAS

“Uneasy lies the head that wears a hilarious novelty hat.” -Wm Shakespeare
momoney781
Veteran Poster

Post by momoney781 »

Some guy asked me why everyone was dressed up when I was in the cheesecake factory. I told him it was casual friday
Nothing is true, Everything is permitted

AB 11' Ezio Auditore
AB 12' Altair-Assassin's Creed
Kratos- God of War
SSJ Goku- Dragon Ball Z
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

[quote=momoney781]Some guy asked me why everyone was dressed up when I was in the cheesecake factory. I told him it was casual friday[/quote]

I went to the Cheesecake factory and was talking to our waiter, while wearing my staff shirt. I apologized for any of our kind who might've been a pain that weekend. But to my pleasant surprise he said all the convention people he's seen have been the nicest customers he's had in a long time. Everyone was great and he loved them all.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

[quote=Faceman][quote=momoney781]Some guy asked me why everyone was dressed up when I was in the cheesecake factory. I told him it was casual friday[/quote]

I went to the Cheesecake factory and was talking to our waiter, while wearing my staff shirt. I apologized for any of our kind who might've been a pain that weekend. But to my pleasant surprise he said all the convention people he's seen have been the nicest customers he's had in a long time. Everyone was great and he loved them all.[/quote]

My group WAS going to eat there once, but the line was far too long. Anywho, outside of the rowdiness, I would have to say, in the restaurants I have been to, the cosplayers HAVE seemed to behave themselves. Heck.... I don't even recall bad behavior anywhere.... Shaws was great, Unos was great, Legal Seafood was great... if there was any place there was a problem, it probably would have been at the food court. Heck, I myself tried being on my best behavior at those eateries myself. Last thing you want next year is for their staff to say "Oh great, it is that nerd thing again..... I am calling out...."
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
DoubleEdgeSword
Experienced Poster

Post by DoubleEdgeSword »

[quote=Yukito Kunisaki][quote=Faceman][quote=momoney781]Some guy asked me why everyone was dressed up when I was in the cheesecake factory. I told him it was casual friday[/quote]

I went to the Cheesecake factory and was talking to our waiter, while wearing my staff shirt. I apologized for any of our kind who might've been a pain that weekend. But to my pleasant surprise he said all the convention people he's seen have been the nicest customers he's had in a long time. Everyone was great and he loved them all.[/quote]

My group WAS going to eat there once, but the line was far too long. Anywho, outside of the rowdiness, I would have to say, in the restaurants I have been to, the cosplayers HAVE seemed to behave themselves. Heck.... I don't even recall bad behavior anywhere.... Shaws was great, Unos was great, Legal Seafood was great... if there was any place there was a problem, it probably would have been at the food court. Heck, I myself tried being on my best behavior at those eateries myself. Last thing you want next year is for their staff to say "Oh great, it is that nerd thing again..... I am calling out...."[/quote]

Next year if I do decide to cosplay (I was so busy with training that I was too frazzled to dress up this year D: ) I might try to go in a restaurant just to see what kind of reaction I'll get... if I'm brave enough to do it of course lol
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

[quote=DoubleEdgeSword][quote=Yukito Kunisaki][quote=Faceman][quote=momoney781]Some guy asked me why everyone was dressed up when I was in the cheesecake factory. I told him it was casual friday[/quote]

My group WAS going to eat there once, but the line was far too long. Anywho, outside of the rowdiness, I would have to say, in the restaurants I have been to, the cosplayers HAVE seemed to behave themselves. Heck.... I don't even recall bad behavior anywhere.... Shaws was great, Unos was great, Legal Seafood was great... if there was any place there was a problem, it probably would have been at the food court. Heck, I myself tried being on my best behavior at those eateries myself. Last thing you want next year is for their staff to say "Oh great, it is that nerd thing again..... I am calling out...."[/quote]

Next year if I do decide to cosplay (I was so busy with training that I was too frazzled to dress up this year D: ) I might try to go in a restaurant just to see what kind of reaction I'll get... if I'm brave enough to do it of course lol[/quote]

If you are brave enough to walk out in public like that, I see no reason to feel any bit more afraid to enter a restaurant like that. If you could only see what I wore into Shaws and Legal Seafood, you would see exactly what I mean, haha.
Aviflora
Determined Poster

Post by Aviflora »

[quote=DoubleEdgeSword][quote=Yukito Kunisaki][quote=Faceman][quote=momoney781]Some guy asked me why everyone was dressed up when I was in the cheesecake factory. I told him it was casual friday[/quote]

Next year if I do decide to cosplay (I was so busy with training that I was too frazzled to dress up this year D: ) I might try to go in a restaurant just to see what kind of reaction I'll get... if I'm brave enough to do it of course lol[/quote]

OR OR OR you could have fellow cosplayers accompany you! I certainly love going out in public in costume, and heavens knows, the more the merrier! :D
AB '07 - Myself <3
AB '08 - Orihime Inoue [Bleach]
AB '09 - Miwako Sakurada [Paradise KISS]
AB '10 - Did not attend :C
AB '11 - Myself
AB '12 - Summoner Yuna [FFX]
AB '13 - Summoner Yuna [FFX]
AB '14 - Summoner Yuna [FFX]

AB '15 - Ruby Rose [RWBY]
AB '16 - Ruby Rose [RWBY]
AB '17 - Season 4 Ruby Rose [RWBY],
Yennefer [Witcher 3]
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

[quote=Runia][quote=DoubleEdgeSword][quote=Yukito Kunisaki][quote=Faceman][quote=momoney781]Some guy asked me why everyone was dressed up when I was in the cheesecake factory. I told him it was casual friday[/quote]

OR OR OR you could have fellow cosplayers accompany you! I certainly love going out in public in costume, and heavens knows, the more the merrier! :D[/quote]

Exactly. Go in cosplay as a group.... hell, I would outside of the con if I had the costumes and the group. :D
DoubleEdgeSword
Experienced Poster

Post by DoubleEdgeSword »

[quote=Yukito Kunisaki][quote=Runia][quote=DoubleEdgeSword][quote=Yukito Kunisaki][quote=Faceman][quote=momoney781]Some guy asked me why everyone was dressed up when I was in the cheesecake factory. I told him it was casual friday[/quote]

OR OR OR you could have fellow cosplayers accompany you! I certainly love going out in public in costume, and heavens knows, the more the merrier! :D[/quote]

Exactly. Go in cosplay as a group.... hell, I would outside of the con if I had the costumes and the group. :D[/quote]

Yeah...just gotta find a group though. *curses for having just moved from California and not knowing many people* I wonder if I dress up as Gabe *points to her avatar* people will call me sir... XD
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

[quote=DoubleEdgeSword][quote=Yukito Kunisaki][quote=Runia][quote=DoubleEdgeSword][quote=Yukito Kunisaki][quote=Faceman][quote=momoney781]Some guy asked me why everyone was dressed up when I was in the cheesecake factory. I told him it was casual friday[/quote]

Exactly. Go in cosplay as a group.... hell, I would outside of the con if I had the costumes and the group. :D[/quote]

Yeah...just gotta find a group though. *curses for having just moved from California and not knowing many people* I wonder if I dress up as Gabe *points to her avatar* people will call me sir... XD[/quote]

Could happen. Worked vise versa for me. :D
Estarose
Experienced Poster

Post by Estarose »

[quote=Faceman][quote=scd250]you like no right to talk bout broken english cause like you no type properly. Stop trying.[/quote]

And stop trolling threads if you have nothing to contribute other than berating other posters.[/quote]

I actually thought his comment was appropriate and the OP deserved it because he was being rather rude making fun of normal people in the mall when even he himself can't speak properly.
sakura_blossom25
I'm new!

Post by sakura_blossom25 »

no he was making fun my girly ninja girl she can't type correctly niether can i. but i think everyone ran into someone this year who ask them was going on.
Yammark
Determined Poster

Post by Yammark »

"Why the worlds largest roleplaying fetish gathering is being held here, what else could it be?"
Yamma!
chibikakashi0101
Veteran Poster

Post by chibikakashi0101 »

Many old people decided to ask me and my friend what the heck was going on. Our answers?
1. Anime Boston, DUUUHHHH
2. [while were both in costume]: I'm just as confused as you are.
3. If you don't know I'm not telling you!
4. The Apocalypse. Run.
and many other funny things I can't remember.
kmcwilliams94
Determined Poster

Post by kmcwilliams94 »

a non-con goer chased my sister in the mall and asked her to take a picture with her baby, my sister was in full on dance gear with 8 inch platform boots, cyberlox and dreads, a make and everything. lol
AB 2015
Mami Tomoe (Friday),
Armin (Saturday)
Sailor Moon (Sunday)
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

[quote=chibikakashi0101]Many old people decided to ask me and my friend what the heck was going on. Our answers?
1. Anime Boston, DUUUHHHH
2. [while were both in costume]: I'm just as confused as you are.
3. If you don't know I'm not telling you!
4. The Apocalypse. Run.
and many other funny things I can't remember. [/quote]

Some of those probably made them see all of us as arrogant more than anything. Some people who ask are actually really interested in what is going on.
Starwind
Expert Poster

Re: people asking what was going on

Post by Starwind »

Some ghetto woman outside the Prudential thought I was Spider-Man. I don't think Peter Parker did martial arts and had a Tyrannosaurus robot.
2006: State Alchemist from FMA
2011: Red Ranger from MMPR
2012: Red Ranger from MMPR