Marco Polo

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2011.
komamura-okami
Getting the hang of this...

Marco Polo

Post by komamura-okami »

Not easily done when the person that yells I'd in a crowd of hundreds or is doing it on the move in said crowd.
Suna Sato
Veteran Poster

Marco Polo

Post by Suna Sato »

then obviously your hearing them less and less sincether moving away from you now aren't you? if there a good person they will stop after a few people ask if they keep it up then most likely security will notice
Of Course im Jenova again this year! Join me my children the year of the Jenovas Witness begins!!!!
APimpNamedGendo
Expert Poster

Marco Polo

Post by APimpNamedGendo »

my friend had to threaten many with stabbing to get people to shut up.... it worked once!
WigglyOwl
AB Staff

Marco Polo

Post by WigglyOwl »

[quote=Suna Sato]I have PTSD and im sorry i think thats a BS answer for someone whos annoyed with something. I think this can be resolved very easily. If you have an issue with someones noise level simply walk up to them and Say "Could you keep it down" Like humans talking to humans. If the person persists get an AB Staff to ask them to Keep it down. If that doesn't work Hynes Security! We dont needs rules we just need people to treat each other like humans! Marco polo can still be played but it should be played Respectfully. If someones being overly loud and obnoxious that is grounds for discussion. Its harmless. If your PTSD is so Severe that you can handle a sudden increase in someones voice maybe you shouldnt be at a anime convention. Perhaps you should be with a counselor where i was learning to handle it...[/quote]

A lot of these people were SCREAMING randomly, and I was not expecting it so suddenly. Iv been in therapy and stuff for almost 10 years, thank you. The traumatic stuff I dealt with as a child involved random screaming and it's a horrible trigger. Otherwise, I had absolutely NO other problems. I dont like people being right next to me, perfectly calm, and then them SCREAMING at the top of their lungs. Also, I did ask a few of them to quiet down, but it would be ridiculous to have to say it to everyone who was yelling, since there was a lot of people doing it. The buttscratcher people we're all in one area when I saw them, I heard them as I was going close to them so it wasnt alarming. Unlike the Marco Polo people who would just scream it randomly.
Vi Brea
Security Staff
Operations Division
2016-2024

Guest Selection Committee
2023-2024
lordshamus
AB Staff

Marco Polo

Post by lordshamus »

Ah, Marco Polo. Bane of our existence. Sadly, there's really nothing I can do about it, unlike, for example, the boomboxes. The boomboxes produce a sustained high-decibel noise, and are big frigging things that I can see and take away. So if I say "Boomboxes are banned," enforcing it is super easy. Hear boombox, see boombox, take boombox. But with Marco Polo, on the other hand, anyone, without any special equipment, can just belt out a quick "MARCO" and then it's all done. To try and "ban" that is absolutely infeasible. It would be impossible to enforce, and would quite likely make the problem worse.

I'll tell you what I will do, though. I'm going to carry my bullhorn, the Anime Boston Enloudenator 5000, whenever I have to leave Security HQ and when I hear someone shout "MARCO!" or "BUTTSCRATCHER!" I am going to turn on the bullhorn and make fun of them viciously. Hopefully this will eventually encourage them to get new jokes.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Shamus Mahan
Legatus Legionis
AB Security
Consul
NEAS

“Uneasy lies the head that wears a hilarious novelty hat.” -Wm Shakespeare
Suna Sato
Veteran Poster

Marco Polo

Post by Suna Sato »

well i love the idea that is just more noise polution isnt that what there all whining about?
Of Course im Jenova again this year! Join me my children the year of the Jenovas Witness begins!!!!
Suna Sato
Veteran Poster

Marco Polo

Post by Suna Sato »

[quote=Vyka][quote=Suna Sato]I have PTSD and im sorry i think thats a BS answer for someone whos annoyed with something. I think this can be resolved very easily. If you have an issue with someones noise level simply walk up to them and Say "Could you keep it down" Like humans talking to humans. If the person persists get an AB Staff to ask them to Keep it down. If that doesn't work Hynes Security! We dont needs rules we just need people to treat each other like humans! Marco polo can still be played but it should be played Respectfully. If someones being overly loud and obnoxious that is grounds for discussion. Its harmless. If your PTSD is so Severe that you can handle a sudden increase in someones voice maybe you shouldnt be at a anime convention. Perhaps you should be with a counselor where i was learning to handle it...[/quote]

A lot of these people were SCREAMING randomly, and I was not expecting it so suddenly. Iv been in therapy and stuff for almost 10 years, thank you. The traumatic stuff I dealt with as a child involved random screaming and it's a horrible trigger. Otherwise, I had absolutely NO other problems. I dont like people being right next to me, perfectly calm, and then them SCREAMING at the top of their lungs. Also, I did ask a few of them to quiet down, but it would be ridiculous to have to say it to everyone who was yelling, since there was a lot of people doing it. The buttscratcher people we're all in one area when I saw them, I heard them as I was going close to them so it wasnt alarming. Unlike the Marco Polo people who would just scream it randomly. [/quote]
im terriably sorry you have a Trama like PTSD living with it myself i know what its like when you have a trigger but you cannot honestly expect the world to change because of your issue. If loud noises are you trigger wear ear plugs. Mine is the rolling stones. If i hear them I have to leave the room its playing in. I go into full blown panic . Unfortunately its dealing with the disorder. I do believe some people can get obnoxious about MArco polo but theres nothing staff can do to stop it and to be honest its really not hurting anyone intentionally. Most people dont have triggers...
komamura-okami

Marco Polo

Post by komamura-okami »

[quote=lordshamus]Ah, Marco Polo. Bane of our existence. Sadly, there's really nothing I can do about it, unlike, for example, the boomboxes. The boomboxes produce a sustained high-decibel noise, and are big frigging things that I can see and take away. So if I say "Boomboxes are banned," enforcing it is super easy. Hear boombox, see boombox, take boombox. But with Marco Polo, on the other hand, anyone, without any special equipment, can just belt out a quick "MARCO" and then it's all done. To try and "ban" that is absolutely infeasible. It would be impossible to enforce, and would quite likely make the problem worse.

I'll tell you what I will do, though. I'm going to carry my bullhorn, the Anime Boston Enloudenator 5000, whenever I have to leave Security HQ and when I hear someone shout "MARCO!" or "BUTTSCRATCHER!" I am going to turn on the bullhorn and make fun of them viciously. Hopefully this will eventually encourage them to get new jokes.[/quote]

Oh please do!
Aviflora
Determined Poster

Marco Polo

Post by Aviflora »

Good heavens, I didn't think this issue would get so psychologically in-depth...

I think overall, people perhaps should just be more socially aware of where they are, and know that not everyone enjoys the yelling. Of course, asking people to quiet down could possibly work, but many people are too timid to talk to strangers in a negative way. Also, with people of so many different backgrounds, you never know what could be a trigger for them. I think just being mindful of the surroundings and empathetic to those who could be harmed by loud noises would help immensely.

I personally dislike the Marco Polo yelling and whatnot. I find it's only fun in the summer time, in a pool. But that's just my opinion, cuz I'm an old-fashioned kinda girl.
AB '07 - Myself <3
AB '08 - Orihime Inoue [Bleach]
AB '09 - Miwako Sakurada [Paradise KISS]
AB '10 - Did not attend :C
AB '11 - Myself
AB '12 - Summoner Yuna [FFX]
AB '13 - Summoner Yuna [FFX]
AB '14 - Summoner Yuna [FFX]

AB '15 - Ruby Rose [RWBY]
AB '16 - Ruby Rose [RWBY]
AB '17 - Season 4 Ruby Rose [RWBY],
Yennefer [Witcher 3]
Serenatai

Marco Polo

Post by Serenatai »

[quote=ErinErin]How about everyone stops yelling pointless stuff in the hallways all together? [/quote]

Agreed. Hard to enjoy the con when people are yelling. Especially with an over-tired baby.
ninja_girl21
Obsessed Poster

Marco Polo

Post by ninja_girl21 »

i loved shouting that and adventure time was the biggest no Tom Selleck'ed it up i love that one
i been going to anime boston since 2004
Blaze
Veteran Poster

Marco Polo

Post by Blaze »

Ive loved doing marco polo for the past few years at the con but yes, my god! I wanted to just make them just shut up by saturday morning! Even sunday morning when the hall was almost empty people yelled it out and all i had to respond was just a louder "SHUT UP"

I didnt know what else to do! I was enjoying some peace and quiet after a hectic saturday
I like Hugs,,
ErinErin
Expert Poster

Marco Polo

Post by ErinErin »

I would like to see a "no disruptive behavior" rule that clearly defines nonsensical yelling/screaming in the hallways. Maybe post some "no yelling" signs in the hallway. It's not perfect, but it's a start.

The only reason anyone should be raising their voice is if there is an emergency and the person needs help or if a staff member is trying to communicate information to a large number of people (like a line).

Would this type of behavior be condoned at any other event or public setting? Just because AB is a weekend away from Mom and Dad for most attendees, doesn't mean all rules and manners go out the window. Yes conventions are loud, but you should still be able to hear the person next to you speak or be able to hear any important announcements coming from the staff.
DoubleEdgeSword
Experienced Poster

Marco Polo

Post by DoubleEdgeSword »

I heard Marco Polo a few times during the weekend and just kept quiet (I don't enjoy using my voice at loud volumes anyways) and I finally learned what the whole buttscratcher thing was about (I do have to admit, I kinda enjoy Family Guy references...)

But yes, when someone just suddenly shouts these things right in my ear, it makes me cringe. So thanks, participaters, for making my headaches worse... :/
Clueless

Marco Polo

Post by Clueless »

I can see where it's annoying to have it happen all the time...

But, if this is the ONLY CON you go to, it's NOT like you say it anywhere else.
It is a large, long con. People may be on their first con run, and not realize there are people who want to shove their faces into walls for doing it.

The staff has too much on their plate to worry about people shouting some harmless stuff. It's not the fault of the con goer or staff if you've got nervous issues/ptsd/what have you. If you know you're like that, you need to carefully consider what you're getting into by going into anime boston. People WILL yell, whether it be memes, hey over here, a pic? or whatever can pop out of their mouth. People will swear. They will shove. They will laugh loudly, move fast, and in general do whatever they will. Staff can't run around with markers everytime someone says Marco, especially if 90+ people RESPOND.

Headphones. Earplugs. In general, deal with it. Or, when you hear it, don't respond. The less people respond, the faster it dies.
I swear, there's got to be a thread complaining about this every year. They're doing it to spite you now.
Holymist
Expert Poster

Marco Polo

Post by Holymist »

[quote=Clueless] you need to carefully consider what you're getting into by going into anime boston. People WILL yell, whether it be memes, hey over here, a pic? or whatever can pop out of their mouth. People will swear. They will shove. They will laugh loudly, move fast, and in general do whatever they will. Staff can't run around with markers everytime someone says Marco, especially if 90+ people RESPOND.

Headphones. Earplugs. In general, deal with it.[/quote]

This in general is a reason why more and more people every year get upset. The general "just deal with it" attitude.

No one, anywhere, should be pushing or shoving anyone. Even at Anime Boston. It's a family con, not a high schoolers paradise to act like children because they are out of sight of their parents for a weekend.

It's not JUST Marco Polo or meme's it's the people screaming in other peoples faces and ears with them. I like my ear drums in tact. I don't go to Anime Boston under the pretense of having to wear ear plugs because someone wishes to be rude.
Anime Boston 2013
Belle - Once Upon a Time
Prince Charming - Once Upon a Time
Yammark
Determined Poster

Marco Polo

Post by Yammark »

Im confused, are people in this topic mad, or are we just having fun :D
Yamma!
Holymist
Expert Poster

Marco Polo

Post by Holymist »

Not mad, the topic is simply being discussed with strong opinions. Text never conveys feelings well, so some almost look angry when they are not.
Anime Boston 2013
Belle - Once Upon a Time
Prince Charming - Once Upon a Time
J-Man

Marco Polo

Post by J-Man »

There definitely needs to be a firm "No yelling" rule established. I've been going to every AB since 2003 and the Marco Polo craze that has become louder and more dominant over the last three years has me seriously considering not coming back. It makes me feel like outgrown Anime Boston.

Seriously, if this sort of thing happened at any other event, the offenders would be immediately thrown out. Why can't Anime Boston do the same?
Suna Sato
Veteran Poster

Marco Polo

Post by Suna Sato »

Seriously this is all i gotta say on the matter.

This is not a life or death problem. No one is getting hurt. Theres so many other things the staff should focus on.

If Marco Polo Drives you so insane DONT ANSWER IT

IF you have ever been online theres an expression "Dont feed the troll" It will die people!

If its to the point that its upsetting you SPEAK UP. Dont be a freaking tattle tale on the forums we are all grown people now. Most people are very kind and understanding.

If you have an issue with loud noises get ear protection. When i have my child i already have baby ear muffs that cancel noise so i can enjoy the con. I dont expect the world to accommodate me.

America is the land of the free. People will do what they want and just putting more rules makes poopy dumb. Lets treat each others like humans and worry about ourselves. now lets end topic!
PatrickD
AB Staff

Marco Polo

Post by PatrickD »

Why can't you kids do a useful meme? ...like watch who doesn't wash their hands in the bathroom and then make sure everyone knows it. At least they'd be shamed into being healthy and stopping the spread of con plague. ;)
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
Fyrii
Experienced Poster

Marco Polo

Post by Fyrii »

I don't believe the point of attending a convention is to wear ear plugs so other people can be as inconsiderately loud as they want.

Respect is something everyone should have for each other. If people say Marco Polo sparingly, others will probably be more okay with it happening. The only reason it has become a problem is because that's ALL people hear.

Plus, just cause America is coined as "land of the free" doesn't mean you can do whatever you want. If that was true, you could kill someone and that'd be totally okay. America is not actually free in the sense you are using the word free as.

Previous Cons:
CTCon ‘08
CTCon ‘09
CTCon ‘10

Anime Boston ‘11
CTCon ‘11
Anime Boston ‘12
CTCon ‘12
Another Anime Convention ‘12
DoubleEdgeSword
Experienced Poster

Marco Polo

[quote]Why can't you kids do a useful meme? ...like watch who doesn't wash their hands in the bathroom and then make sure everyone knows it. At least they'd be shamed into being healthy and stopping the spread of con plague.[/quote]

Considering how I'm stuck in bed with one of the worst colds of the year... yeah, that'd be a great idea. *blows nose*
Sayoria
AB Staff

Marco Polo

Post by Sayoria »

Oh, jeez, do I agree. Now, I am not a germophobe, but I have my germophobic side when it comes to bathroom cleanliness. If you ever been to the garage mall where Tokyo Kid is, and used that bathroom..... oh my God. I normally use paper towels to open a bathroom door, but that place uses hand dryers...To leave the bathroom, I either wait for someone to come, or I hold the door open with my foot after opening it, reach around to the sink, wash my hands, then leave. I cann't count how many times I leave that, and most other bathrooms without people washing their hands.

What reaaaaallly sucks is when you live with people who don't. >_>
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
lordshamus
AB Staff

Marco Polo

Post by lordshamus »

I will say this again for the benefit of people who like me to say things multiple times and with numbered lists.

1) There will never be a "ban on yelling" at anime boston. Such a ban would be impossible to enforce and would be seen as petty and draconian.

2) Other public events of similar size include lots of yelling. Have you ever been to Fenway Park? Or a rock concert? Or an anime convention anywhere else ever?

3) I hate Marco Polo and I wish you little scamps would think of something new to yell.

4) Really, I'd just as soon you not yell at all, but see #1.

tl;dr - I hate the yelling but I can't do anything about it. Only you can prevent forest fires.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Shamus Mahan
Legatus Legionis
AB Security
Consul
NEAS

Suna Sato
Veteran Poster

Marco Polo

Post by Suna Sato »

thank you thats exactly what i was trying to say!!!!!!
Suna Sato
Veteran Poster

Marco Polo

Post by Suna Sato »

[quote=Fyrii]I don't believe the point of attending a convention is to wear ear plugs so other people can be as inconsiderately loud as they want.

Respect is something everyone should have for each other. If people say Marco Polo sparingly, others will probably be more okay with it happening. The only reason it has become a problem is because that's ALL people hear.

Plus, just cause America is coined as "land of the free" doesn't mean you can do whatever you want. If that was true, you could kill someone and that'd be totally okay. America is not actually free in the sense you are using the word free as.

[/quote]

im not saying you have to but as said above there will never be a rule against it so either put up or shut up! Stop feeding the damn trolls! If the yelling is upsetting get ear plugs or learn to ignore it. Theres no way to control it so stop crying and get over it!!
DoubleEdgeSword
Experienced Poster

Marco Polo

[quote]Oh, jeez, do I agree. Now, I am not a germophobe, but I have my germophobic side when it comes to bathroom cleanliness. If you ever been to the garage mall where Tokyo Kid is, and used that bathroom..... oh my God. I normally use paper towels to open a bathroom door, but that place uses hand dryers...To leave the bathroom, I either wait for someone to come, or I hold the door open with my foot after opening it, reach around to the sink, wash my hands, then leave. I cann't count how many times I leave that, and most other bathrooms without people washing their hands.

What reaaaaallly sucks is when you live with people who don't. >_> [/quote]

I always get angry when my youngest sister doesn't wash her hands after using the bathroom... personally I'd love to give her a good scare on what kind of nasty parasites you could get from that kind of behavior but...

And god, I've become so skilled at using my feet to manipulate doors in public bathrooms that I can open and close a stall with one shoed foot. I blame my germaphobia for that... (another reason why you wanna wash your hands, people!)
meerkat
Expert Poster

Marco Polo

Post by meerkat »

[quote=heartstarmagick][quote=Suna Sato]Cant you guys just enjoy the con its not like this really hurt anyone okay its an old joke but so arent most of the funny ones. just shrug it off![/quote]

First off: Mother! <3

And second: I totally agree. I mean, honestly, it's an Anime convention; one in which a majority of the attendees are high school age or younger. You have to expect them to act like highschoolers. Is it annoying? Yes, it can be, but it's not like it's hurting anyone. From my experience, the mall right outside the con and the entire hallway where the game room was situated was quiet (well...as quiet as a con can be).
Marco Polo/The Game/Buttscratcher didn't irk me nearly as much as the constant barrage of people stopping in the middle of the hallways to take pictures. I feel like that's more of a problem than loudness at a convention. But hey, maybe I'm just a bit cruel. [/quote]

Yes, because an anime convention is TOTALLY an excuse to act in a way that is NOT socially acceptable. Wow, I can feel the IQ in this thread dropping with every post...
Anime World Order

Marco Polo

Post by Anime World Order »

[quote=lordshamus]I hate the yelling but I can't do anything about it. Only you can prevent forest fires.[/quote]

But see, here's the thing: as the one in charge of security, you CAN do something about it!

Certainly, the solution is not a hardline "you do this and you're out" rule, as it could never be realistically enforced. But let's look at the rules at other conventions:

[quote=The Anime Weekend Atlanta Rules]
AWA Guidelines: "If you feel like running around and hollering like maniacs, go outside in the sunshine and run around and yell your fool head off. Just do it outside.

Important Rules: Disruptive and obnoxious behavior such as hollering, noisemakers, obstruction of hallways or foot traffic, and other really annoying activity is totally against the rules and may result in you getting ejected from AWA. If you want to cause a ruckus, go outside."
[/quote]

Those excerpts are from page one of the con guide, and that convention is of roughly comparable size and held in a similar style of venue (hotel + convention center with nearby mall) as Anime Boston. Otakon has a similarly generalized policy. As does Anime Expo. Is there no such disruptive behavior at these other cons whatsoever? Of course not; it's still present. But the issue here is one of the effect of enforcement upon concentration and frequency.

And I'll confess: until I just checked, I was under the impression Anime Boston didn't even have such a rule in place at all. Finding the rules in the Anime Boston con guide is a little tricky; they're not at the very front and they're not at the very back, so you really have to be specifically looking for them. But they do say this:

[quote=Anime Boston Rules]
Please be kind and courteous to your fellow attendees, guests, dealers, and staff at all times. Disruptive behavior that disturbs others is not allowed. This includes running, screaming, yelling, playing loud music, horseplay, unsolicited physical contact, or any other such behavior as deemed disruptive by convention staff.[/quote]

Perfect! So you see, there is ALREADY a rule against the behavior that is being complained about! All we are asking is that AN ATTEMPT be made at enforcing the existing rules already in place. Approach violators, show them this rule in the guide (it is the 2nd rule), tell them to "please stop what you're doing or we'll have to take your badge and escort you out," and I imagine several--not all, granted--will take your words to heart.

Obviously you can't just stop everyone from being a jerk. But you can ask your own staff to practice even a "selective enforcement," akin to how highway patrol officers pull over speeders. Consider this: when you see one guy pulled over for speeding, your immediate response is to check how fast you're going and slow down in case you're over the limit too. Similarly, if people see other people being reprimanded by staff for disruptive behavior, they'll at least think to themselves "we'd better make sure none of them are around before we try it again." If you engaged in selective enforcement--catch who you can where everyone will see you doing so--and make sure that security was always present in the mostly high traffic areas, I can practically guarantee that would result in a noticeable difference.
lordshamus
AB Staff

Marco Polo

Post by lordshamus »

The rules we have in place for this issue are deliberately vague and all-encompassing, specifically so we have a rule to cite when we stop people from doing something clearly disruptive. And believe me, we do so all the time. I just don't think that we can "eliminate" marco polo and the like without a grassroots movement from the attendees. You want them to stop yelling it? Make it unpopular to yell it. Behavioral norms in subcultures are enforced by a shared value system. I'll tell you one thing; if nobody responded "POLO", people would stop saying marco pretty quick. In the meantime, all I can do is stop people from actively being disruptive or unsafe.
Last edited by lordshamus on Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: hurp dee doo
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Shamus Mahan
Legatus Legionis
AB Security
Consul
NEAS

heartstarmagick
Experienced Poster

Marco Polo

Post by heartstarmagick »

[quote=scd250][quote=heartstarmagick][quote=Suna Sato]Cant you guys just enjoy the con its not like this really hurt anyone okay its an old joke but so arent most of the funny ones. just shrug it off![/quote]

And second: I totally agree. I mean, honestly, it's an Anime convention; one in which a majority of the attendees are high school age or younger. You have to expect them to act like highschoolers. Is it annoying? Yes, it can be, but it's not like it's hurting anyone. From my experience, the mall right outside the con and the entire hallway where the game room was situated was quiet (well...as quiet as a con can be).
Marco Polo/The Game/Buttscratcher didn't irk me nearly as much as the constant barrage of people stopping in the middle of the hallways to take pictures. I feel like that's more of a problem than loudness at a convention. But hey, maybe I'm just a bit cruel. [/quote]

Yes, because an anime convention is TOTALLY an excuse to act in a way that is NOT socially acceptable. Wow, I can feel the IQ in this thread dropping with every post...[/quote]

Excuse me? Did you just call me stupid? I'll have you know, SIR that I'm in all honors classes, and have been since the start of my MIDDLE SCHOOL CAREER. I'm sorry, what did you dress as at the convention? Would you go to your workplace dressed like that? Would that not be socially-bloody-acceptable?
I'm fracking done arguing. I hope next year they're twice as loud toward people like the quoted. If you want to disagree, fine but do NOT call me stupid. You don't know me, you don't know my IQ and you didn't even give a valid argument rebutting me.
I apologize if I've offended anyone reading this that has actually argued this matter civilly. I obviously do not take well to being insulted.
AB 2012!!
Superior Xemnas (with my Org. XIII group) from Kingdom Hearts
Mother JENOVA (with my Professor Hojo) from Final Fantasy VII
AB 2013!!
Axel {and possibly/probably Xemnas} (with my Saix) from Kingdom Hearts
Lucrecia Crescent (with my Professor Hojo) from FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus
Spirit Albarn (with my Stein) from Soul Eater {extremely tentative}
DoubleEdgeSword
Experienced Poster

Marco Polo

Let's not get blood on the walls, people. Thanks.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Marco Polo

Post by Sayoria »

Oh my...... the crystal ball shows a lock in the future of this thread.
lordshamus
AB Staff

Marco Polo

Post by lordshamus »

Man, we really need a post icon to represent like seven hundred monocles popping out.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Shamus Mahan
Legatus Legionis
AB Security
Consul
NEAS

meerkat
Expert Poster

Marco Polo

Post by meerkat »

[quote=heartstarmagick][quote=scd250][quote=heartstarmagick][quote=Suna Sato]Cant you guys just enjoy the con its not like this really hurt anyone okay its an old joke but so arent most of the funny ones. just shrug it off![/quote]

Yes, because an anime convention is TOTALLY an excuse to act in a way that is NOT socially acceptable. Wow, I can feel the IQ in this thread dropping with every post...[/quote]

Excuse me? Did you just call me stupid? I'll have you know, SIR that I'm in all honors classes, and have been since the start of my MIDDLE SCHOOL CAREER. I'm sorry, what did you dress as at the convention? Would you go to your workplace dressed like that? Would that not be socially-bloody-acceptable?
I'm fracking done arguing. I hope next year they're twice as loud toward people like the quoted. If you want to disagree, fine but do NOT call me stupid. You don't know me, you don't know my IQ and you didn't even give a valid argument rebutting me.
I apologize if I've offended anyone reading this that has actually argued this matter civilly. I obviously do not take well to being insulted. [/quote]

Actually I wore jeans and a t-shirt. Middle school, huh? Just more evidence that thirteen year olds shouldn't be given internet access.

Also...IQ and honors classes mean NOTHING. Do you hear me? NOTHING. I know some brilliant software engineers that dropped out of high school.
DoubleEdgeSword
Experienced Poster

Marco Polo

[quote=scd250][quote=heartstarmagick][quote=scd250][quote=heartstarmagick][quote=Suna Sato]Cant you guys just enjoy the con its not like this really hurt anyone okay its an old joke but so arent most of the funny ones. just shrug it off![/quote]

I apologize if I've offended anyone reading this that has actually argued this matter civilly. I obviously do not take well to being insulted. [/quote]

Actually I wore jeans and a t-shirt. Middle school, huh? Just more evidence that thirteen year olds shouldn't be given internet access.

Also...IQ and honors classes mean NOTHING. Do you hear me? NOTHING. I know some brilliant software engineers that dropped out of high school.[/quote]

What did I just say, people?

It'd be great if we didn't have yet another flame war on this topic. Thank you.
meerkat
Expert Poster

Marco Polo

Post by meerkat »

[quote=DoubleEdgeSword][quote=scd250][quote=heartstarmagick][quote=scd250][quote=heartstarmagick][quote=Suna Sato]Cant you guys just enjoy the con its not like this really hurt anyone okay its an old joke but so arent most of the funny ones. just shrug it off![/quote]

Also...IQ and honors classes mean NOTHING. Do you hear me? NOTHING. I know some brilliant software engineers that dropped out of high school.[/quote]

It'd be great if we didn't have yet another flame war on this topic. Thank you.[/quote]

And yet you respond anyway. The idiocy of people astounds me.
heartstarmagick
Experienced Poster

Marco Polo

Post by heartstarmagick »

Hah, nice try. I'm actually 18. I was alluding to the fact that my IQ's been significantly on the high side since adolescence. Guess that was too much for your head to wrap around.
Whatever. You're not worth my time. Enjoy being jelly.

ANYWAY AS I WAS GOING TO SAY. Shamus has the right idea. If no one responds, it'll become uncool and not be said at all. It'll doe and be probably be replaced with something new. *shrug* I'm pretty neutral on both sides, but i do know that if people know it pisses others off, they'll do it more.
AB 2012!!
Superior Xemnas (with my Org. XIII group) from Kingdom Hearts
Mother JENOVA (with my Professor Hojo) from Final Fantasy VII
AB 2013!!
Axel {and possibly/probably Xemnas} (with my Saix) from Kingdom Hearts
Lucrecia Crescent (with my Professor Hojo) from FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus
Spirit Albarn (with my Stein) from Soul Eater {extremely tentative}
DoubleEdgeSword
Experienced Poster

Marco Polo

[quote=scd250][quote=DoubleEdgeSword][quote=scd250][quote=heartstarmagick][quote=scd250][quote=heartstarmagick][quote=Suna Sato]Cant you guys just enjoy the con its not like this really hurt anyone okay its an old joke but so arent most of the funny ones. just shrug it off![/quote]

It'd be great if we didn't have yet another flame war on this topic. Thank you.[/quote]

And yet you respond anyway. The idiocy of people astounds me.
[/quote]

/facepalm/ I try to keep things peaceful and this is what happens.

Here's some lube for your butthurt, sir.
meerkat
Expert Poster

Marco Polo

Post by meerkat »

Lube is for you. That comes BEFORE the anal penetration, not after.

Also, high IQ means nothing. Enjoy your slavery like existence at a low-paying job that you got because you majored in something dumb.
Faceman
AB Executive

Marco Polo

Post by Faceman »

This thread was started to discuss the Marco Polo situation and other similar disturbances. It has deviated off course. I'm putting it back on course. I don't want to see disrespectful, non-constructive, or childish posts. You all have a choice to censure yourself, or have me do it for you.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!
tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Marco Polo

Post by tetsujin »

[quote=heartstarmagick]I went to panels. Couldn't hear it. I went to screenings. Couldn't hear it.[/quote]

I think I was the only one who mentioned hearing it in a panel setting: and that was a couple years ago. If that was an isolated incident... well, good. I don't like the "Marco Polo" thing but I'm really starting to feel that I should work to develop more of a "live and let live" attitude about it. Specifically: as long as it's not actually disrupting another con event it should be allowed to pass. In practical terms, as long as incidents like the one I mentioned are not repeated, there shouldn't be a problem.

If the shouting does cause problems in the future, then maybe the thing to do is establish "relatively quiet zones" in the hallways outside panel and video rooms. Set boundaries for where this behavior is acceptable, make them make some kind of sense.

I suppose some people yell just to piss people off - but I think a lot of people yell because it's fun and they don't see the harm. I think the latter group of people, at least, could be convinced to respect clearly-demarcated "relatively quiet zones"...

[quote=Suna Sato]
America is the land of the free. People will do what they want and just putting more rules makes ******** dumb. Lets treat each others like humans and worry about ourselves. now lets end topic!
[/quote]

You get your say and then call for the discussion to be immediately ended? What a load of crap. What's the matter? Can't handle a rebuttal? "Quick, lock it down before someone points out the giant flaws in my argument!"

There's a rule that's very common in swimming pools: "Don't pee in the swimming pool." Or, the one people are more likely to ignore once they're beyond grammar school age, "wash yourself before swimming in the pool."

People should be able to ignore those, right? 'Cause it's the land of the free and all that? Well, no, actually, because their behavior is negatively impacting other people who want to enjoy that shared resource.
komamura-okami

Marco Polo

Post by komamura-okami »

[quote=lordshamus]The rules we have in place for this issue are deliberately vague and all-encompassing, specifically so we have a rule to cite when we stop people from doing something clearly disruptive. And believe me, we do so all the time. I just don't think that we can "eliminate" marco polo and the like without a grassroots movement from the attendees. You want them to stop yelling it? Make it unpopular to yell it. Behavioral norms in subcultures are enforced by a shared value system. I'll tell you one thing; if nobody responded "POLO", people would stop saying ymarco pretty quick. In the meantime, all I can do is stop people from actively being disruptive or unsafe.[/quote]
I think making it uncooked is the way to go here. If some one yells it make them feel foolish some how.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Marco Polo

Post by Sayoria »

Didn't the Marco Polo thing also originate from Family Guy?..... not "Marco Polo" and it's pool game in general, but this fad..... just like Buttscratcher, and the less heard, but still said "Bird is the word"?....

Fun is great, but yeah, it would definitely be more fun if people could find:

A - Something new each year, or
B - tone down on doing it every waking minute.

I suppose it could be worse though.... "BELIEVE IT" "BELIEVE IT" "BELIEVE IT" "BELIEVE IT!".... I myself ignore the shouts, and of course, it doesn't help, but they are pretty hard to just say you ignore them when you still acknowledge it being said. To be honest, personally, the only thing that annoys me is "The game". Cool the first year.... now when I see it, I just brush it off and say to myself "Great, another one of those years"
Ponyta
Expert Poster

Marco Polo

Post by Ponyta »

Once in a while, a 'Marco Polo' can be fun. But everyone else seems to hear it every five seconds, which isn't cool. If only people could be reasonable with the game and not act like annoying brats about it. Oh, to dream. :[
..except in bed.
Suna Sato
Veteran Poster

Marco Polo

Post by Suna Sato »

I'm saying lock the thread because staff has responded to the issue. MArco polo can only be stopped if the masses stop it. This is not gonna end peacefully so i want to see this thread locked. Stop attacking people that disagree with you. I couldnt care less if peopel shouted marco polo it didnt bother me. I try to defend people from angry responders though. We shouldnt be threatening to hurt each other because where irritated thats childish. And we shouldnt be flipping out on the staff because of how they handle it. Your arguement is like a childs "Well billys mom lets him do this" Its silly.

[color:red]PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD ITS GETTING VIOLENT!!!![/color]
meerkat
Expert Poster

Marco Polo

Post by meerkat »

[quote=Suna Sato]I'm saying lock the thread because staff has responded to the issue. MArco polo can only be stopped if the masses stop it. This is not gonna end peacefully so i want to see this thread locked. Stop attacking people that disagree with you. I couldnt care less if peopel shouted marco polo it didnt bother me. I try to defend people from angry responders though. We shouldnt be threatening to hurt each other because where irritated thats childish. And we shouldnt be flipping out on the staff because of how they handle it. Your arguement is like a childs "Well billys mom lets him do this" Its silly.

[color:red]PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD ITS GETTING VIOLENT!!!![/color][/quote]

HAHAHAH. Help, I can feel myself bleeding out right now from that sucking chest wound the person I disagreed with gave me. :)
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Marco Polo

Post by kiarrens »

Guys, look. This is what it boils down to.

Yes, the meme is obviously hurting some people, as has been displayed in this thread. Sufferers of PTSD, migraines, people with small children... So let's just agree that yes. It can be harmful.

Now, we have that point established. Do you really want to hurt other people? :( ESPECIALLY at an anime convention, where everyone around you is kind of like family? We've all been treated differently or socially outcast at least once for this weird little interest/hobby we've got, and I've always viewed anime cons as that one place you can go to be surrounded by people like yourself. That makes you all family, in my book.

And it hurts ME when my family is in pain, as some people here have mentioned. "It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye." This is a saying which can be applied quite easily to this situation.

By all means, HAVE FUN. That's why we are all at AnimeBoston! But if you are hurting other people, it's not fun anymore. Certainly not for the person in pain. It is impossible to please everyone, of course. But why engage in obviously disruptive behavior when there are plenty of other fun things you could be doing?

As staff, there is only so much we can do to stop the problem. We will do what we can, all we can do in addition is ask you guys to help us. Don't engage in disruptive behavior, and politely ask those around you who are to stop. That's all. :(
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
Faceman
AB Executive

Marco Polo

Post by Faceman »

The thread will remain unlocked as long as civil discussions can continue. It seems the last few posts have been, so I'll leave it as be for now. If individuals become disruptive again, they may find their ability to post anywhere on the forums temporarily revoked, and the discussion may continue on without them.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!