Marco Polo

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2011.
Aviflora
Determined Poster

Marco Polo

Post by Aviflora »

You gotta admit, though...

The bathroom-yelling meme is a pretty darn good idea. Then you'd know who *not* to let hug you.
AB '07 - Myself <3
AB '08 - Orihime Inoue [Bleach]
AB '09 - Miwako Sakurada [Paradise KISS]
AB '10 - Did not attend :C
AB '11 - Myself
AB '12 - Summoner Yuna [FFX]
AB '13 - Summoner Yuna [FFX]
AB '14 - Summoner Yuna [FFX]

AB '15 - Ruby Rose [RWBY]
AB '16 - Ruby Rose [RWBY]
AB '17 - Season 4 Ruby Rose [RWBY],
Yennefer [Witcher 3]
Fyrii
Experienced Poster

Marco Polo

Post by Fyrii »

Definitely agree with your post.

I just get so flabbergasted when other people on this thread are being so incredibly nice when explaining their issue with the excessive use of this chant and then they are shot back with no respect or sympathy at all.

I personally have not had as much as a botherance with this as other people have, but when the attitude for them is that they should "put up or shut up" and to stop "crying" about it, it upsets me that there appears to be no concern for how they feel.

Previous Cons:
CTCon ‘08
CTCon ‘09
CTCon ‘10

Anime Boston ‘11
CTCon ‘11
Anime Boston ‘12
CTCon ‘12
Another Anime Convention ‘12
Suna Sato
Veteran Poster

Marco Polo

Post by Suna Sato »

i didn't mean to come across so angry I can understand the people who are irritated with Marco polo. But as it was stated earlier the staff cant stop it only the Con goers can. You cannot expect the world to adapt for you.... and I honestly think its harmless. If your at an event with 20,000 people especially one with Kids and Teens you cannot possibility expect the noise levels to not be high.... I honestly rarely heard marco polo and i am one of those people who shouted it from time to time but this year i got alot less responses so it was less fun. If anyone had simply came up to me and said "Excuse me that was kinda loud could you do that somewhere else your disrupting my ________" i would have stopped. But seeing as i did it maybe .....3 times the entire con and usually away from the back of someones head no one did.... I really only heard Marco Polo 10 or 12 times this year... maybe its because i did so many events instead of hall wandering....
Of Course im Jenova again this year! Join me my children the year of the Jenovas Witness begins!!!!
Nyiana
AB Alumni

Marco Polo

Post by Nyiana »

You know, I would be one of those people to point out who didn't wash their hands.

I now know what I'll do in my free time next year. :)
Samantha Normandin
2017 Convention Operations Staff

2015-2016 Attendee
2014 ConOps
2013 Attendee
2010-2012 ConOps
2007-2009 Attendee
Suna Sato
Veteran Poster

Marco Polo

Post by Suna Sato »

not gonna lie thats creepy....
Of Course im Jenova again this year! Join me my children the year of the Jenovas Witness begins!!!!
tetsujin
Veteran Poster

Marco Polo

Post by tetsujin »

[quote=Suna Sato]I'm saying lock the thread because staff has responded to the issue.[/quote]

And it was nice of them to address the point. And I can understand and accept that there's not much they can do to actually stop it.

Personally I see no reason the discussion should end, if people are still interested in having this conversation. It's not just about calling this to the attention of staff, it's also about blowing off steam about an issue that frustrates people (the kind of steam built up by restraining the impulse to punch somebody) - it's about finding a sympathetic ear and it's about facing the challenge of opposing viewpoints (and the legitimate points that are often raised in them).

Whether the discussion should end is simply not your decision to make.
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Marco Polo

Post by royalbakaness »

Basically the only meme I enjoy is Caramelldansen, and I actually like the whole para para dance (in an area where it won't disrupt panels, etc and doesn't cause clogging of the hallway traffic).
And I do agree that needless shouting is annoying...but if something has to be exclaimed throughout the con, couldn't it relate to anime? I mean it IS an ANIME convention...perhaps it could have something to do with it???
A swirly ice-cream cone of good and evil
AB 10: Ryo-ohki
AB 11: Touko Amano, Luna in cat form, Ryo-ohki
AB 12: Belarus, Hungary, fem!Canada
AB 13 : Eponine, GLaDOS, Sunako Nakahara
AB 14 : Princess Cadance, GLaDOS, Applejack
AB 15: Makise Kurisu
AB 16: GLaDOS, Steampunk Alice, Scarlet Benoit
AB 17: Ryo-ohki, Rei Hino (school uniform), Sunako Nakahara
AB 18: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles), casual steampunk
edgukated
Experienced Poster

Marco Polo

Post by edgukated »

[quote=Kiarrens]Out of curiosity, how would you guys recommend we, as staff, deal with this issue?
[/quote]

Perhaps one way is to post a very large, politely worded sign (right at the main entrance) reminding guests of proper con etiquette. You might even put a few smaller signs in the hallways.

The sign could give specific examples of things not to do such as yelling (specifically Marco Polo), boom boxes, and running in the halls.

I was surprised at the number of large groups (5 or more people) chasing each other through the halls.

The sign wouldn't solve the problem but it could help. Even if it doesn't stop people from yelling "Marco" it might stop them from yelling "Polo".

...timmy
meerkat
Expert Poster

Marco Polo

Post by meerkat »

[quote=royalbakaness]Basically the only meme I enjoy is Caramelldansen, [/quote]

I never quite understood this one...it's a swedish song set to korean characters being set at a japanese anime convention...but I also have no problem with it.
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Marco Polo

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=royalbakaness]
And I do agree that needless shouting is annoying...but if something has to be exclaimed throughout the con, couldn't it relate to anime? I mean it IS an ANIME convention...perhaps it could have something to do with it???[/quote]
*frantically waves hands* No! No! Shhh! You'll have them shouting "BELIEVE IT"! DON'T GIVE THEM IDEAS!
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
PatrickD
AB Staff

Marco Polo

Post by PatrickD »

[quote=edgukated]Perhaps one way is to post a very large, politely worded sign (right at the main entrance) reminding guests of proper con etiquette. You might even put a few smaller signs in the hallways. [/quote]
Unfortunately, VERY FEW people read signs with rules. ...and about the same number actually read the program guide. Not many.
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
Naomi-Ai
Experienced Poster

Marco Polo

Post by Naomi-Ai »

[quote=scd250][quote=royalbakaness]Basically the only meme I enjoy is Caramelldansen, [/quote]

I never quite understood this one...it's a swedish song set to korean characters being set at a japanese anime convention...but I also have no problem with it.[/quote]

This. I actually made that comment to a friend last year. It is def my favorite meme and I enjoy seeing people rock out to it (off to the side of course ^-^)

Anyways, I enjoyed Marco Polo for a whole 5 minutes, then it got old fast. I think the worst was on Saturday when I got a wicked headache from people continually shouting (especially Marco Polo). Usually when I want down time/quiet time, I go to the manga library to relax and read something. Even that wasn't a safe haven for some peace and quiet as without fail someone would run past the door screaming something or the rumbles of the ill beast that is Marco Polo would ECHO. I often wonder if people realize how loud things get in the Hynes...
AB 2013
-----
Fri - ???
Sat - Classic Lolita
Sun - lolita!fem!Sweden
J-Man
Getting the hang of this...

Marco Polo

Post by J-Man »

Hopefully, this nonsense will die out in a year or two. Anything that's done enough times always gets old. Especially when the people who do it start to grow up and realize what morons they looked like as kids.
Acechris89

Marco Polo

Post by Acechris89 »

Over the summer I went to Otakon'10 and on the site and on several signs there was a strict "No Vuvuzela" policy(World Cup happening at the time). I think it carried the weight of possible expulsion from the con. I'm not sure if doing the same for people yelling memes is too strict or not, but I don't remember the con being all that disruptive.

Personally, I'm not too keen on Marco Polo, but with a huge volume of people at one place at one time, not much can be done.
alissa37
Expert Poster

Marco Polo

Post by alissa37 »

[quote=Suna Sato]But seeing as i did it maybe .....3 times the entire con and usually away from the back of someones head no one did.... I really only heard Marco Polo 10 or 12 times this year... maybe its because i did so many events instead of hall wandering....[/quote]
A big issue is that if you shout "Marco" around three times, you are letting other people (such as con newbies) think that that kind of behavior is funny and acceptable. For some, you are basically making them aware of the concept of Marco Polo. So "Marco Polo" spreads to become this neverending echo.

On top of that, if 10% of congoers, or roughly 2,000 people, shouted "Marco" around three times, you'd have 6,000 Marco Polo's resounding around the convention center throughout the con.

I don't enjoy Marco Polo. I stupidly try to hold conversations in large convention centers filled with people, and screams of "Marco Polo" and other memes make conversations switch from merely hard to hear to impossible to hear.
Sometimes I even like to wait in line by myself and not talk to anyone, but I like to do it peacefully without the guy behind me screaming things in my ear.
President Aria
Veteran Poster

Marco Polo

Post by President Aria »

[quote=J-Man]Hopefully, this nonsense will die out in a year or two. Anything that's done enough times always gets old. Especially when the people who do it start to grow up and realize what morons they looked like as kids.[/quote]

I first started going to Anime Boston in 2006. Marco Polo was around then. Here it is, 2011, and Marco Polo is still around. The problem is that there is always a new crop of morons who think it's fresh and new and that no one could possibly get sick of something that's oh so funny.
Shinden
Veteran Poster

Marco Polo

Post by Shinden »

Complaining about people shouting dumb things is like going to an island nation and complaining that there is too much fish on the menu.

Really there is nothing you can do about it but be annoyed by it.
2012: I, Otaku
2013: off
2014: An Introduction to Kill La Kill
2015: Beyond Honnouji
2016: Japanophile's Guide to Boston, Nippon wo Mamore
2017: All About the Imperial Family
2018: Contrasts of Tezuka
Mama Undertaker
Dedicated Poster

Marco Polo

Post by Mama Undertaker »

the marco Polo is not so much of an issue for me cause It only seens to happen when I am not around to hear it. How ever i get teh "i Tom Selleck'ed it up" So if any one heard me at the con aleast on person had to have. My responce was " I am so sorry you just now realized you Tom Selleck'ed it up 3 years after it had ended." I had a few around me chuckle and it made the first person look at me with a rather ammusing dumb founded look.
Anime Boston 2014 Booya peoples I am coming back!! I have for my Line up Captain James Kidd (AC4) Queen Undertaker and regular Undertaker (black butler, Raichu (pokemon)
PatrickD
AB Staff

Marco Polo

Post by PatrickD »

Last year, someone yelled "I lost the game" and I saw them do it. I went over to them and said, "I'm sorry, if you want to come with me I can help you find it. Have you checked lost and found?"

...and it wasn't the first time I've done that.
-Patrick Delahanty

View my Convention List
Sayoria
AB Staff

Marco Polo

Post by Sayoria »

[quote=PatrickD]Last year, someone yelled "I lost the game" and I saw them do it. I went over to them and said, "I'm sorry, if you want to come with me I can help you find it. Have you checked lost and found?"

...and it wasn't the first time I've done that.[/quote]

Oh boy, that's awesome. :D... I wish I could have seen their expression.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
yunaofparadise
Dedicated Poster

Marco Polo

Post by yunaofparadise »

Why not not chant something obvious? "We love Anime Boston." Problem solved?.......
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Marco Polo

Post by royalbakaness »

[quote=Kiarrens][quote=royalbakaness]
And I do agree that needless shouting is annoying...but if something has to be exclaimed throughout the con, couldn't it relate to anime? I mean it IS an ANIME convention...perhaps it could have something to do with it???[/quote]
*frantically waves hands* No! No! Shhh! You'll have them shouting "BELIEVE IT"! DON'T GIVE THEM IDEAS![/quote]
Ha, sorry, no more ideas for noise pollution ^_^
Mama Undertaker
Dedicated Poster

Marco Polo

Post by Mama Undertaker »

[quote=PatrickD]Last year, someone yelled "I lost the game" and I saw them do it. I went over to them and said, "I'm sorry, if you want to come with me I can help you find it. Have you checked lost and found?"

...and it wasn't the first time I've done that.[/quote]

you are my hero now!

I Dont see the issue with stupid chants but the same ones over and over every year gets annoying as all. Its like get Creative.
Anime Boston 2014 Booya peoples I am coming back!! I have for my Line up Captain James Kidd (AC4) Queen Undertaker and regular Undertaker (black butler, Raichu (pokemon)
ClockworkDragon
Veteran Poster

Marco Polo

Post by ClockworkDragon »

I honestly think Marco Polo will never end... xD It didn't happen that often this year though... Or maybe I didn't notice?
Naomi-Ai
Experienced Poster

Marco Polo

Post by Naomi-Ai »

[quote=ClockworkDragon]I honestly think Marco Polo will never end... xD It didn't happen that often this year though... Or maybe I didn't notice?[/quote]

I think you didn't notice lol as I thought it was worse this year and definitely got a headache from it and the general increase in volume.
AB 2013
-----
Fri - ???
Sat - Classic Lolita
Sun - lolita!fem!Sweden
Seer
Experienced Poster

Marco Polo

Post by Seer »

[quote=Guiiii]Can we let go of the Marco Polo already? I thought this year would be different with Friday and all but we still got a lot of Marco Polo. It was kind of fun 4 years ago but now it's boring. Even butt scratcher is better at this point.
You know what, I challenge you guys to come with something better for 2012.
We'll be waiting :)[/quote]

It does get annoying, I know, but complaining about it won't solve everything. Only half the people, and this is speaking optimistically, will listen and stop (until someone else starts up).

Then you need to take into account how many people who are new who come and aren't familiar or haven't gotten tired of it. Hell, there are people out there who don't even realize it's annoying yet.

Same with "It's Adventure Time" or "Butt Scratcher" and, obviously, Marco Polo. Even "You Just Tom Selleck'ed it up" (you fell into my trap) is still amusing to some.

I actually remember walking by these two girls and one of them says in a soft voice "the game". Her friend then turned to her and said "no, no, you have to say 'you just Tom Selleck'ed it up' ". She did it again but still in a soft voice. It was adorable if not for the annoying subject.

Really, we have to come to terms that these things are part of convention life. They are ingrained in it. And, really, it isn't that bad. There are worse things they could be shouting; at least it's in good fun, come on.
J-Man

Marco Polo

Post by J-Man »

[quote=Seer]
Really, we have to come to terms that these things are part of convention life. They are ingrained in it. And, really, it isn't that bad. There are worse things they could be shouting; at least it's in good fun, come on.
[/quote]

No, it isn't in the early years on Anime Boston, you never heard any yelling at all. It wasn't until 2008 that all this Marco Polo crap started. And it's been getting worse and worse every year.

And it's not exactly "good clean fun" is people are doing it right outside a room where you're attending a panel or watching anime. and frankly, I found it rather troubling that people are even shouting outside the Hines and in the mall. Not only does it make us look bad, but pressure from the people who run the mall may make Anime Boston's days at the Hines Convention Center numbered.

I have to be honest, Anime Boston is starting to get a bad reputation because of this. When people are degradingly referring to it as "Marco Polo Con," vowing they'll never come back and scaring away potential attendees, then there's clearly a problem.

Frankly, this needs to be made a badge-pulling offense. The staff and security needs to grow a spine and crack down on this, or it will get even further out of hand.
LusciousGrapes
Expert Poster

Marco Polo

Post by LusciousGrapes »

[quote=J-Man]
I have to be honest, Anime Boston is starting to get a bad reputation because of this. When people are degradingly referring to it as "Marco Polo Con," vowing they'll never come back and scaring away potential attendees, then there's clearly a problem.
[/quote]

Really? Sure, Marco Polo is getting really annoying, but is it really that bad? Seriously guys. Be part of the solution, not the problem. If it's really bothersome then come up with a better solution than "I'm never coming back because of this." There are plenty of great suggestions for stopping, or at least quieting down, Marco Polo in this thread. :(
formerly: xturbulancexx
AB12: Subaru Sumeragi [Tokyo Babylon], Roxy Lalonde [Homestuck (God Tier)]
AB13: Latula Pyrope (God Tier, casual), Aradia Megido (God Tier, casual), possible Altair, Dave Strider, Subaru Sumeragi
RayneDeanZ
Expert Poster

Re: Marco Polo

Post by RayneDeanZ »

This year was my first time at AB and I enjoyed the whole Marco Polo thing, which is why I'm surprised you guys are upset. The way my friends explained it, it's like a tradition. And not to be mean to you who want to change it, but why ruin a tradition? If you don't like it, just ignore it. But for those of us who were new to con or enjoy this tradition, it added to the experience.
Been coming since 2011

Anime Boston 2017:
Mastermind!Chihiro Fujisaki (Dangan Ronpa)
Makoto Naegi (Dangan Ronpa)

Anime Boston 2018:
Shintaro Kisaragi (Kagerou Project)
Yasuke Matsuda (Dangan Ronpa)
Kiki (Kiki’s Delivery Service)

AB 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts)

AB 2022:
Kazuichi Souda (Danganronpa)

AB 2023:
Kazuichi Souda (Danganronpa)
Pathfinder

Post by Pathfinder »

It IS rather obnoxious when you're in a panel and the speaker is very quiet and all you can hear is people screaming internet memes in the halls. Couldn't we just come up with a designated area for screaming? o.O; Maybe a panel on who can scream the loudest?
Joshua Dauphinais, Anime Boston Hall Cosplay Coordinator 2009-2012.

My Law cosplay brings all the girls to the yard.

NERDXL0VIN

Post by NERDXL0VIN »

I yelled "OHHHHH!!!!!" in front of the gamers room last year because there was a group doing it to one of their friends due to something they did (Im not sure what, I was just walking out and heard 3 people going OHH so I yelled it really loud) and then everyone around me yelled OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at the top of their lungs...it was a lot better than the typical Marco......POLO!!!!! annoyance. it sounded like an army xD
Anime Boston 2012 Cosplays:
Link - LoZ, OoT (my girlfriend will be going as Navi)
Kazuya Kujo - Gosick (my girlfriend will be going as Victorique de Blois)
..more to come..
iamgiselle

Post by iamgiselle »

ok, just throwing my two cents out there.

I think the marco polo "thing" has gotten a bit old and now it seems like its not being used at the right time and place (while youre not in a crowd, only in the halls). it feels like nowadays its just 13 year olds belting it out while at an event. Hopefully a new meme will come around so at least itll be new and funny for a year or two. until then, i just hope it doesnt get too bad.
NERDXL0VIN

Post by NERDXL0VIN »

iamgiselle wrote:ok, just throwing my two cents out there.

I think the marco polo "thing" has gotten a bit old and now it seems like its not being used at the right time and place (while youre not in a crowd, only in the halls). it feels like nowadays its just 13 year olds belting it out while at an event. Hopefully a new meme will come around so at least itll be new and funny for a year or two. until then, i just hope it doesnt get too bad.

Agreed, a lot of the times it seemed it was people yelling it at the wrong times (like in front of panels when the halls are empty) I'm hoping for a new chant, but I won't be too disappointed if there isn't one next year. I'll have to make one up if no one else does :mrgreen:
Anime Boston 2012 Cosplays:
Link - LoZ, OoT (my girlfriend will be going as Navi)
Kazuya Kujo - Gosick (my girlfriend will be going as Victorique de Blois)
..more to come..
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Post by Phantom 1 »

The problem with the Adventure Time meme is that last year I didn't bring my watch so I had to keep asking people what time it was. Guess what they replied with... :roll:
yoshimitsu101
Experienced Poster

Post by yoshimitsu101 »

madman1502 wrote:This year was my first time at AB and I enjoyed the whole Marco Polo thing, which is why I'm surprised you guys are upset. The way my friends explained it, it's like a tradition. And not to be mean to you who want to change it, but why ruin a tradition? If you don't like it, just ignore it. But for those of us who were new to con or enjoy this tradition, it added to the experience.

i agree
"Over confidence is your greatest enemy" - Yoshimitsu
Amu-Chan128
Veteran Poster

Post by Amu-Chan128 »

ok i dont mind the shouting its a con and everyone is gonna do it no matter what. but as long as they make sure its only like those main hallways i wouldnt mind cause its to noisy. but understand that it can get annyoing. not gonna lie.
if im asking someone the time i rather have them tell me the real time and not say advanture time. thats why i always charge my phone fully and keep it with me or always have a watch.
my friends just started this that if someone asked what time is it. they say time to get a watch, it was sooooo annyoeing i hated that afterwords.
~Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of equivalent exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one and only truth.~FM~

so good luck and have fun and do your best to stay in character.
Happy Cosplaying ^_^

l、
(゚、 。 7
 l、 ~ヽ
 じしf_,)ノ Meow!RAWR
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

Amu-Chan128 wrote:if im asking someone the time i rather have them tell me the real time and not say advanture time.
Ha, I found that Adventure Time thing annoying from the beginning (not a fan of the show as it is), so my brother and I, in fear of getting that response, kept asking each other what time it was in Spanish ^_^
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

Idea: Anytime at AB 2012 you hear someone yell MARCO, do not yell back POLO.
Instead, yell back PUT THEM DOWN!

He lift things up, he puts them down.
HE IS THE ROADIE!
PatrickD
AB Staff

Post by PatrickD »

Fetch wrote:Idea: Anytime at AB 2012 you hear someone yell MARCO, do not yell back POLO.
Instead, yell back PUT THEM DOWN!
How about if you don't yell anything and just give Mr. "Marco" a glare.

The last thing we need is more people yelling in the halls. This thing just needs to friggin' die.
-Patrick Delahanty

View my Convention List
FarFromRedemption
Dedicated Poster

Post by FarFromRedemption »

PatrickD wrote:How about if you don't yell anything and just give Mr. "Marco" a glare.

The last thing we need is more people yelling in the halls. This thing just needs to friggin' die.
Agree Agree Agree 100%
Potential Cosplays for 2022
Ban (The Seven Deadly Sins)
Archon Rex Lapis/Zhongli (Genshin Impact)
Nikaido (DoroheDoro) *maybe*
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

And I think that this thread has died. Locking it -.-'
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!