it is sad when people don't know some great anime (not talking obscure

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2011.
Auron_of_Boston
Experienced Poster

Post by Auron_of_Boston »

a good amount of people i talked to this weekend didn't even know what Yu Yu Hakusho is, that was a total shock to me, it is such a fantastic anime with a great plot and great action, and it was totally mainstream not some obscure anime that only a few people know about. it just makes me sad that so many people don't know what they are missing.
Staren
Veteran Poster

Post by Staren »

That does surprise me. I would expect a lot of people to at least know the dub. YYH was one of the big shows on Cartoon Networks anime block (post Toonami if I remember right) for awhile.
AB attendee every year since 2010.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Well, YYH has been off the air for years now. It is like asking younger kids what the Flintstones and Jetsons are. Sadly, not many will even know outside of possible Christmas movies.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
DuckTapeBunny
AB Alumni

Post by DuckTapeBunny »

I noticed that too, I was cosplaying Ranma and quite a few people snapped a picture although they didn't know who I was. and Ranma 1/2 is such a classic. I think it's a de-facto of the shifting age range. Are there anime classics panels? There should be if they're not.
stray-x
Veteran Poster

Post by stray-x »

[quote=Green_Lantern]a good amount of people i talked to this weekend didn't even know what Yu Yu Hakusho is, that was a total shock to me, it is such a fantastic anime with a great plot and great action, and it was totally mainstream not some obscure anime that only a few people know about. it just makes me sad that so many people don't know what they are missing.[/quote]
Were you the guy cosplaying Yusuke from YuYu Hakusho? If so, great cosplay! :)
Auron_of_Boston
Experienced Poster

yea, i was dressed as yusuke urameshi from yu yu hakusho, i even had my spirit gun, and some people were asking who i was, and i was noticing that its mostly the younger people, made me feel real old
guiiii
AB Staff

Post by guiiii »

YYH rocks! One of the first animes I've seen :)
I did not see you dressed as yusuke but I saw a guy dressed as Botan :)
Always tell the truth, even if you have to lie
Guilherme Z. Machado
AB Security Assistant Manager
06-07-08-09-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-X-X-23
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Same. I saw a male botan....I think I saw a female one too. I never saw a Yusuke.
Auron_of_Boston
Experienced Poster

well this one was me,
http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 8412_n.jpg i thought it was obvious enough who i was
coolforever
AB Alumni

Post by coolforever »

I noticed a lot less mainstream anime's being cosplayed by people this year and/or talked about, such as Inuyasha, Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto, and ESPECIALLY Kenshin. I would say wolf's rain too but I've never really seen Wolf's rain cosplayers at the convention in general besides a few, including myself.

Mike Sweeney
Anime Boston Game Show Staff 2018 & 2019

Previous Anime Boston Badge Names:

AB 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011: Kiba. AB 2007: Shin'ichi Kudo. AB 2012: Kiba the Eurobeat Lover.
AB 2013: Kaitou Kid the Eurobeat Lover. Anime Boston 2014: Kaitou Kid the 80's J-Pop Lover.
AB 2015: Kaitou Kid the Sonic Fan. AB 2016: Kaitou Kid the Wolfman. AB 2017: Kaitou Kid the Rocketeer.

Wolf's Rain will always be my #1 favorite Anime of all time. :)
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Yeah. I can see it. The thing is though, from a distance, without something dead giving away, like a certain kind of wings, or horns, or dress, or two heads or something, it does look like from the back, that you could probably be one of many kinds of school students. Also, like said before, the show isn't been on in ages.... I have even seen a drop in practically all mainstream anime. Only anime this year I have noticed a large, large jump in was Hetalia. Even Naruto is taking a hit.

Anywho, I spent alot of time in the Dealers room, and have went to alot of gameshows. Other times, we would be out eating, or at the hotel. I see you were on the third floor in that picture. I don't know if that was your main area all con long or not, but I can say as much as the fact, that I myself, never went up there until 3PM Sunday afternoon.

Anywho, it is how it goes though. New people come to cons each year, and younger kids come to cons each year. As the years go on, less and less people will most likely know the show, as sad as that may sound.... but hey, if someone, even one person could recognize me cosplaying something like that.... well then, I would be proud to know is isn't completely forgotten. I like others also got into anime fandom with YYH. Not my first anime ever (Maya the Bee....heh.......) but did it start something? You bet, and I will not forget it, so as long as I go to AB, there will always be someone who knows YYH.
Syagria
Obsessed Poster

Post by Syagria »

Sad, but true. Almost no one had heard of "The Vision of Escaflowne" which is a fantasy anime classic and staple of the genre; when I told them that was what my cosplay was from, I mostly got a blank stare and an "oh..." - which, in fact, I expected. After all, Escaflowne is now something like 17 years old, which means the current crop of young anime fans weren't even *alive* when it came out.

If you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go sit in my rocker and wonder where I left my hearing aids.
Anime Boston Cosplays:
14: Death
13: Wonder Woman, Kitsune
12: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Wonder Woman
11: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Princess Eries Aston
10: Princess Eries Aston, Zatanna
09: Hermes (1st Place Intermediate), Lotis Master Alice Seno
08: Haruhara Haruko, Sumomo, Lotis Master Alice Seno
07: Haruhara Haruko, R. Dorothy Wayneright
Skanking_Pickle
Expert Poster

Post by Skanking_Pickle »

Ah gawd I love Yu Yu Hakusho and I plan n doing Hiei cosplay eventually =( it's unfortunate that no one knows about it much. It was hugely popular on CN when I was like 11.
Cosplay.com page- BlondieSundae
Deviantart- SkullsAndStripes
Cosplay Tumblr- The Cosplay Compendium
Salith
Obsessed Poster

Post by Salith »

Ah YuYuHakusho.

I was going to do a Kurnoue cosplay this year but money fails. I was also trying to get to visit at least 1 of the 4 meetups even just to take photos planned but that failed as well (stuff to do at the time and I woke up late x.x)

I saw your Yusuke cosplay and meant to ask for a photo but then you vanished x.x I also saw
Youko Kuramas
Kuramas
Hieis
Botans
but that's about it : /
Auron_of_Boston
Experienced Poster

thats too bad, i love posing for pictures, ab is the one time of year that i allow myself to be vain and want everyone to take my picture :p
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

I was actually pleased with the fact that several young kids knew some old school (if you care to call it that) anime. My friend and I were Ryo-ohki and Sasami, and I had several younger kids get excited to see us. My friend was so impressed that a little 8-year-old girl knew she was Sasami. Well done parents!! Help your kids appreciate some classic anime!!!
Also, YYH cosplayers were awesome!!
A swirly ice-cream cone of good and evil
AB 10: Ryo-ohki
AB 11: Touko Amano, Luna in cat form, Ryo-ohki
AB 12: Belarus, Hungary, fem!Canada
AB 13 : Eponine, GLaDOS, Sunako Nakahara
AB 14 : Princess Cadance, GLaDOS, Applejack
AB 15: Makise Kurisu
AB 16: GLaDOS, Steampunk Alice, Scarlet Benoit
AB 17: Ryo-ohki, Rei Hino (school uniform), Sunako Nakahara
AB 18: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles), casual steampunk
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

I'm sorta on the opposite side of that spectrum - i find that i just don't know any of the NEWER stuff..i can't keep up, and people don't recognize the little bits of fanart i have at my table in the AA....

and yes, teaching our kids is the best way to go and keep up the old school - for instance:

my 5 year old can recite the dragon slave (and others) by heart from Slayers. she wants to build the Mach5 when she gets older, and she has imaginary play dates with the DragonBall crew....

she's also obsessed with Totoro, Kiki's Delivery service, tenchi muyo and one piece. and she has stolen all my mario games (dressed up as mario last year for halloween) and my chocobo tales...(and dressed as a chocobo for halloween one year as well)
Nikki O'Shea Bean
http://www.dragonpressgraphics.com
http://www.bardscomic.com

Artists Alley Manager 2008-2017
Artists Alley Co-Manager 2005-07
Attendee 2004
Artists Alley Accidental Volunteer 2003
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

Your kid rocks!!
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

[quote=Tuberat]I'm sorta on the opposite side of that spectrum - i find that i just don't know any of the NEWER stuff..i can't keep up, and people don't recognize the little bits of fanart i have at my table in the AA....

and yes, teaching our kids is the best way to go and keep up the old school - for instance:

my 5 year old can recite the dragon slave (and others) by heart from Slayers. she wants to build the Mach5 when she gets older, and she has imaginary play dates with the DragonBall crew....

she's also obsessed with Totoro, Kiki's Delivery service, tenchi muyo and one piece. and she has stolen all my mario games (dressed up as mario last year for halloween) and my chocobo tales...(and dressed as a chocobo for halloween one year as well)[/quote]

I too, am pretty much there with ya. I know GTO, Sailor Moon, Ranma 1/2, Full Moon Wo Sagashite, Cardcaptor Sakura, Tokyo Mew Mew, Rurouni Kenshin, Yu Yu Hakusho, and many others. A few years ago, I could name all that walked by me. This year, I had little to no clue.... I mean, heck, I asked a Cheza from Wolf's Rain if she was Tyria from Ar Tonelico 3. I hate when I ask someone who they are, and get egg on my face like that. =/
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

thanks royal! :D
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
Tuberat
AB Staff

Post by Tuberat »

i've done the same thing - though i DID see a Ranma running around. i miss seeing Ryoga's...maybe i should do one :P i have an umbrella i could totally paint for it...lol

i tend, now, just to take pics of some very 'non' anime stuff like dr who cosplays, firefly cosplays.
i also tend to take a lot of steampunk cosplays and i guess the lolita stuff? just cause its so interesting and i don't feel so dumb not knowing what they are! :D
Nikki O'Shea Bean

Attendee 2004
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

[quote=Tuberat]i've done the same thing - though i DID see a Ranma running around. i miss seeing Ryoga's...maybe i should do one :P i have an umbrella i could totally paint for it...lol

i tend, now, just to take pics of some very 'non' anime stuff like dr who cosplays, firefly cosplays.
i also tend to take a lot of steampunk cosplays and i guess the lolita stuff? just cause its so interesting and i don't feel so dumb not knowing what they are! :D[/quote]

Back in 2005, I was a very....very low budget Ryoga. Only got like....2 pictures, lol. Was cool though. Ryoga rocks. :)
KingPads
Expert Poster

Post by KingPads »

I guess you (OP) are referring to people like me, I don't know most of the more popular anime, though I try to see as much of it as possible. Im a video game nut, so I fit way better at PAX and such, but Anime Boston is a lot of fun to go to even when you don't know anime very well. AB is fun to go to just to be in costume with everyone, and I LOVE going through the Artist Alley and Dealers Room. The panels and such are just a bonus on top of that, and some of my favorites you don't need to know anime to enjoy. And, every year I get a little more into anime than the year before!
Aviflora
Determined Poster

Post by Aviflora »

I totally understand this thread. I can't even begin to say how excited I was when I saw a Washu from Tenchi Muyo! That, and the Sailor Scouts will never go away, Sailor Moon is way too much of a staple in conventions.

However, some precious gems (Slayers, Tenchi, Fushigi Yugi, Ranma etc...) just aren't as popular as they used to be. Whereas now, Vocaloid is *everywhere*. I'm not even sure if that's an anime. I thought it was just personifications of technologically modified voices... But I could be wrong.

That, and the population of Naruto/Bleach/Final Fantasy cosplays went from abundant to endangered. What's happening to this wooorld D:
AB '07 - Myself <3
AB '08 - Orihime Inoue [Bleach]
AB '09 - Miwako Sakurada [Paradise KISS]
AB '10 - Did not attend :C
AB '11 - Myself
AB '12 - Summoner Yuna [FFX]
AB '13 - Summoner Yuna [FFX]
AB '14 - Summoner Yuna [FFX]

AB '15 - Ruby Rose [RWBY]
AB '16 - Ruby Rose [RWBY]
AB '17 - Season 4 Ruby Rose [RWBY],
Yennefer [Witcher 3]
ZenErik
Veteran Poster

Post by ZenErik »

You know. I never see too many (often not any) cosplayers from Patlabor, Gunbuster, Wings of Honneamise, or even Escaflowne. And I'm not too surprised when people don't know what they are, even Escaflowne.
DoubleEdgeSword
Experienced Poster

Post by DoubleEdgeSword »

I'm pretty much stuck in between both the old and newer animes... Most newer ones I'll hear about from my friends online even though I normally don't have the free time to sit down and watch them. On the other hand, I've looked at some much older anime and find it a little disappointing to not see it in many cosplays. Oh well...

Perhaps if I ever choose to go as Hotohori from Fushigi Yuugi, I just might get lucky enough to find a fan who has watched it... wishful thinking of course.
plantea80
Experienced Poster

Post by plantea80 »

@ Tuberat: That is awesome to hear! I'm hoping that I can have the pleasure of enlightening my nephew when he comes to say hello to the world ^_^

but yeah, I agree with everyone on here. the classic anime shows are not being cosplayed a lot. I found it awesome that I saw a few cosplayers from Rayearth. That was one of the first few series that got me into anime overall (in the sense of watching the videos non-stop, and not like toonami and such where you had to wait every week)

And the feeling was felt with naruto/bleach/other mainstream series. From what I saw, there were 4 Jiraiya's (including myself) at the con, and a few Naruto cosplayers. Although I think its not too too bad. That sense of fulfillment is reached if you can have one person recognize you in cosplay...
Auron_of_Boston
Experienced Poster

Fushigi Yuugi was one of my first animes once i actually knew what anime was. although i do remember in elementary school waking up at like 6 to watch sailor moon.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

[quote=DoubleEdgeSword]I'm pretty much stuck in between both the old and newer animes... Most newer ones I'll hear about from my friends online even though I normally don't have the free time to sit down and watch them. On the other hand, I've looked at some much older anime and find it a little disappointing to not see it in many cosplays. Oh well...

Perhaps if I ever choose to go as Hotohori from Fushigi Yuugi, I just might get lucky enough to find a fan who has watched it... wishful thinking of course.[/quote]

I remember years ago, I considered doing Tasuki. Oh right! I saw a Chichiri there this year. I didn't get to comment to him, but it made me happy.
DoubleEdgeSword
Experienced Poster

Post by DoubleEdgeSword »

Aww man! I was still living in California back then lol but gosh, I would've just high-fived you and tell you that you're better than Tamahome right on the spot! XD
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Well, I didn't actually do Tasuki, I was planning on it, but didn't. :P... Love the guy though. Always made me laugh. Never saw much of FY, but yeah, I had enough Tasuki moments viewed, haha.
Skybreaker07
I'm new!

Post by Skybreaker07 »

Ah DUDE I knew I saw a Yusuke. You ran around with the guys carrying the stereo playing obscure songs. I was standing right besides you at the beginning of the con. Haha, check me out on my video. I went as his demon form the Yokai clan transformation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWk-nNKzHrM
Syagria
Obsessed Poster

Post by Syagria »

[quote=DoubleEdgeSword]Perhaps if I ever choose to go as Hotohori from Fushigi Yuugi, I just might get lucky enough to find a fan who has watched it... wishful thinking of course.[/quote]

I did see a Miaka Yuki, in the Suzaku summoning priestess robes, this year!

Two or three years ago, I was dressed as Alice Seno from "Alice 19th" (by Yuu Watase, just like "Fushigi Yuugi") and I took a photo with two girls who were dressed as Priestess Miaka and Schoolgirl Miaka. There's still some FY out there!
Anime Boston Cosplays:
14: Death
13: Wonder Woman, Kitsune
12: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Wonder Woman
11: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Princess Eries Aston
10: Princess Eries Aston, Zatanna
09: Hermes (1st Place Intermediate), Lotis Master Alice Seno
08: Haruhara Haruko, Sumomo, Lotis Master Alice Seno
07: Haruhara Haruko, R. Dorothy Wayneright
Master of NERV
Dedicated Poster

Post by Master of NERV »

Here's a list of anime, reasonably well known in their time, that's gotten me a lot of blank stares from the young folk over the last couple of ABs:

Martian Successor Nadesico
The Irresponsible Captain Tylor
Fushigi Yugi
Escaflowne
Tenchi Muyo!
Serial Experiments Lain
Lost Universe

...and I could go on and on, but I trust my point is made. (Which is why the "I Love the 90's" panel was such fun for me!..)

In fairness, my late wife and I had the budget to buy these and many more series on DVD; for many teens and even some college students, the only things they know are what they can find on TV.

I make it a point to take pictures of any 16-21 year old honoring vintage anime with well-executed cosplay--like the Dr. Blackjack and Sae Sawanaguchi (Magic Users Club) back in '07, the Captain Tylor I saw in '08, and the Magic Knights this year. It's my way of encouraging the younger set into digging into the past and finding the gems that are there! :)
AB 2003-2023 -- pre-reged for 2024!
2006, '12, '13: Commander Ikari (Evangelion)
2007: Dr. Akai (Maburaho)
gyminus5
Expert Poster

Post by gyminus5 »

i agree withe you the some anime are unpopular. i dont see any Yumeria, or UFO Valkyrie cosplayers
Check out My Videos- http://www.youtube.com/gyminus23
Double G Streamz- http://www.twitch.tv/gyminus54
Folow Me On Twitter- #Goldenmindvids

Cosplay List
AB 2009- Zero / Code Geass
AB 2012- Junpei Iori / Persona 3
AB 2013- Skipped
AB 2014- Skipped
AB 2015- Skipped
AB 2016- ???
Nashida
Expert Poster

Post by Nashida »

It's really kind of sad that there are some great cosplays out there based on some of the classics, and no one has any idea who they are. I know my weekend was made when I found Washu from Tenchi.

I remember being in the elevator at the Sheraton next to a Joe Shimura from Cyborg 009, and the guy cosplaying him was floored by the fact that I not only knew the anime, but the character's name on top of that. I like to think I made his weekend.
Axel (KHII): AB07,AB08 (Cosplay Chess-Team Evil)
Reno(FF:AC): AB10
Riley (Pokemon): AB11
N Harmonia (Pokemon): AB12
deviantART Cosplay.comFacebookMy website
pasttheshy
Getting the hang of this...

Post by pasttheshy »

I'm rather surprised at the lack of Ghibli cosplayers. Yeah, there's always a few, but only for the big titles and not a lot of boundary pushers. I was Nausicaa this year and I'm hoping to make her formal outfit for AAC in October. Whenever anyone does Nausicaa it's almost always her pilot outfit. It seems like everyone thinks the dresses are too simple so nobody does them.I also want to make the red version of her dress w/the yellow hood.
Lordpants
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Lordpants »

I was happy that I was the first person to take your picture (You politely bowed and said it was that's how I know) I do agree that there isn't enough recognition but that's just what happens sometimes when all the new anime comes this way.

Awesome Yusuke none the less.
Auron_of_Boston
Experienced Poster

thanks, and always happy to be remembered :)
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

I loved seeing the Chichiri cosplayer's face light up when we recognized him. Sad we didn't get to catch the Rayearth cosplayers, but they went by too fast. Saw quite a few Botans and probably one of the Kuramas wander by our table but never saw Yuusuke, and the Suzaku no Miko style Miaka was happy we recognized her. And I overheard one Ranma cosplayer venting to a nearby artist because everyone kept asking him if he was China from Hetalia. The other artist and the two of us commisserated with him.

I also had two different Kagomes laugh and nod when I jokingly asked if people kept calling them Sailor Jupiter, and I swear I overheard a Sailor Jupiter ask her friend why people kept calling her Kagome. ::boggle::
Mama Undertaker
Dedicated Poster

Post by Mama Undertaker »

I like a lot of the animes you guys said. Like Escaflowne i watched when i was like 8 it was on fox kids on saturday morning for like 2 weeks cause 4kids tried dubbing it. Then i actually got to watch all of it when I was 12. And I hated the movie. YuYu was a good anime loved it but i got lost at the battle areana arch. ANother few good anime are Utawararoman And Moribito, and Samurai 7

This past year I did a character called Sizer. SHe is from an anime called Violinest of Hemeln. The anime was destoyed due to low funding but the manga was amazing.
Anime Boston 2014 Booya peoples I am coming back!! I have for my Line up Captain James Kidd (AC4) Queen Undertaker and regular Undertaker (black butler, Raichu (pokemon)
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

[quote=Nashida]I know my weekend was made when I found Washu from Tenchi. [quote]

I was so excited too!!!! AND I was dressed up as Ryo-ohki when I found her!!! Which was awesome!!! ;)
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

[quote=C.RoW White]This past year I did a character called Sizer. SHe is from an anime called Violinest of Hemeln. The anime was destoyed due to low funding but the manga was amazing.[/quote]

I wouldn't say the anime was destroyed. More that it took a definitely different approach than the manga/movie. Manga and movie were intended to be goofy, as I recall, kind of off-the-wall. The anime, on the other hand, was played dead serious.
Mama Undertaker
Dedicated Poster

Post by Mama Undertaker »

[quote=Kogarashi][quote=C.RoW White]This past year I did a character called Sizer. SHe is from an anime called Violinest of Hemeln. The anime was destoyed due to low funding but the manga was amazing.[/quote]

I wouldn't say the anime was destroyed. More that it took a definitely different approach than the manga/movie. Manga and movie were intended to be goofy, as I recall, kind of off-the-wall. The anime, on the other hand, was played dead serious.[/quote]

The manga was a mix of goofy and serious it had its time for both. With the anime, i enjoy serious animes I really do, but it was more like screen shots with sound added. Like if someone spoke you only saw there face but their mouth didnt move, you had a few walking scenes, and fight scenes were the same as talking.. I think if they could redo the anime so it was fully animated it would be a really good show and alot of people would like it.
Anime Boston 2014 Booya peoples I am coming back!! I have for my Line up Captain James Kidd (AC4) Queen Undertaker and regular Undertaker (black butler, Raichu (pokemon)
samlauncher
I'm new!

Re: it is sad when people don't know some great anime (not t

Post by samlauncher »

hey frndz m looking for sad quotes plz help....
Onipuck
Veteran Poster

Re: it is sad when people don't know some great anime (not t

Post by Onipuck »

There is also the same problem with fans of good Videogames of years past, such as Final Fantasy 6.