The 'That looks like date-r*pe' guys

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2011.
Ponyta
Expert Poster

Post by Ponyta »

At the Saturday night dance I was dancing with a guy who ended up getting a little too frisky when my friend came over and took me to get a cup of water. Later she told me that a couple of guys had noticed my predicament and informed my friend so she could help me out. So if you happen to be on the forums, I just want to thank you very much for your help. It was very appreciated, and I hope you enjoyed the rest of the convention, lol :]
Fyrii
Experienced Poster

Post by Fyrii »

Same thing happened to me..some guy grabbed me from behind and tried dancing with me...then he started rubbing my neck (wtf?) so I tried to get away, which was hard considering the lack of room anywhere on the floor. >_> It just kinda creeps me out when someone doesn't ask me first and grabs at me.
Previous Cons:
CTCon ‘08
CTCon ‘09
CTCon ‘10

Anime Boston ‘11
CTCon ‘11
Anime Boston ‘12
CTCon ‘12
Another Anime Convention ‘12
Om Nom Nom
I'm new!

Post by Om Nom Nom »

This happened to my best friend as well. We weren't at the dance Saturday night for five minutes before this tall guy with a blue baseball cap grabs her from being and starts rubbing her neck, kissing her, feeling her up and absolutely WOULDN'T let her go until one of our guy friends made him go away. This almost ruined our night as my friend was terrified and crying after. People are so messed up these days D:<

On a happier note, guys like the people who helped you out are awesome : )
~AB 2012~
Sat: Rei Miyamoto (Part two) from HOTD
Jen-Chan
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Jen-Chan »

Yea I got a couple 'not asked for' dances with a couple guys. Even one that was very persistent even after I walked away uninterested. It got to the point where me and my friends walked into the mosh to get away from them. I was also invited to several 'after partys' and 'booty calls' I found these funny and just threw the invites away. I guys in a way I liked the attention (for once) but I wasn't about to let people take advantage of me!
Ponyta
Expert Poster

Post by Ponyta »

On the plus side, mine was consensual until the last bit. I had met him before, and come to find out he was actually very drunk. :\ But when his friends told him what happened, he genuinely apologized.
Reading these responses though, I had no idea that people like that were such an issue. This was my fourth AB, but the first time I've had an issue at the dances. Aside from my buddy, another guy kept trying to dance with me and my friends after we made it clear we weren't interested. At one point he tried to forcibly remove my hand from my friends waist to dance with her. In the end my other friend told him off and then he got offended. It's such a shame that some people can't take hints.. Or have some concept of respect for others. :p
..except in bed.
Huui
I'm new!

Post by Huui »

I've been depressed now since the Saturday night dance because of something that happened. I think it was around 11pm...I feel horrible :( There was this girl dancing next to me who I thought was really cute, so I asked how old she was because she looked young. She told me 21, which is the same age as me. I'm normally shy and have a hard time talking to girls but after a few minutes I decided to get over it and just ask her to dance.

She said yes and for the 5 minutes it lasted I was so happy. I don't know what I did wrong but she left for water and never came back. T.T I was too sad to dance the rest of the night so I just sat and tried to enjoy the good music. I never made a friend at Anime Boston and I was hoping we could talk and get to know eachother better while being dancing buddies but I guess I did something wrong.

The girl was petite, had nice red hair/wig, lip stick, jeans on, and a pretty face. If you're reading this, I'm sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable at the dance, and thank you for dancing with me. I was happy ^^;
Crinoline

Post by Crinoline »

I'm always looking out for you girl :^>
Anime Boston 2013 Cosplay:
Friday
Claire Redfield (Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles)
Saturday
Older Malon (Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)
Sunday
Team Magma Member (Pokemon Ruby and Emerald)
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

I didn't attend the dance but Saturday night we were outside the Sheraton waiting for our friend to come pick his daughter and niece up (whom had accompanied us to the con) and these two guys (not in cosplay) came up and asked if they could by our badges off of us to go to the dance. My brother and I made up some elaborate story about how strict they are about checking badges and they left. But I could totally see them only going to pick up young girls. Hope they never made it in @_@
A swirly ice-cream cone of good and evil
AB 10: Ryo-ohki
AB 11: Touko Amano, Luna in cat form, Ryo-ohki
AB 12: Belarus, Hungary, fem!Canada
AB 13 : Eponine, GLaDOS, Sunako Nakahara
AB 14 : Princess Cadance, GLaDOS, Applejack
AB 15: Makise Kurisu
AB 16: GLaDOS, Steampunk Alice, Scarlet Benoit
AB 17: Ryo-ohki, Rei Hino (school uniform), Sunako Nakahara
AB 18: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles), casual steampunk
chandyland
I'm new!

Post by chandyland »

I'm surprised they still haven't put an age restriction on the dance. I was quite concerned to see a little boy who looked about 10 come out shirtless o.o
guiiii
AB Staff

Post by guiiii »

If you feel somebody is trying to take advantage of you or even "harassing" you find an AB security (orange or red shirts) and tell them what's going on. we are there to keep things in order and will do what we can to help. Just remember that you are not powerless.
Always tell the truth, even if you have to lie
Guilherme Z. Machado
AB Security Assistant Manager
06-07-08-09-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-18-19-20-X-X-23
Auron_of_Boston
Experienced Poster

Post by Auron_of_Boston »

i agree completely, i'm 23 years old and when i go in there and see these 12-15 year olds which it seems is the majority of the people there, it makes me feel like a pedo just being in the same dance, especially when i see these girls grinding on people. its just weird
freakypetachick
Committed Poster

Post by freakypetachick »

yeah i know i was grabbed by someone but that didnt last long, since my bf was right behind me and punched him.he was with me the whole 2 nights and thank god he was. some people were staring but didnt have the balls to touch.

on another note it was kinda gross cause we hadda let this guy room with our group b/c his "friends" [24-38] got kicked out of the hotel for having a tea party with a 15 year old they met on friday. creepy much?
Serenatai

Post by Serenatai »

Honestly? If I had this happen to me or seen it happen to another girl, I'd hit the guy where it hurts. Haha. Thank goodness, I didn't stay long in the dance to have it happen to me.
momoney781
Veteran Poster

Post by momoney781 »

I totally agree. I wish they had two different dances for young teens and maybe like a 18 or 21+ dance. I liked the dance its being in the same place as kids from high school kinda creeped me out
Nothing is true, Everything is permitted

AB 11' Ezio Auditore
AB 12' Altair-Assassin's Creed
Kratos- God of War
SSJ Goku- Dragon Ball Z
Keithel
AB Alumni

Post by Keithel »

If anyone is having issues with another attendee, don't hesitate to find one of our staff - orange, red and Blue "SECURITY" or "STAFF" shirts, preferably a Security staffer, and let us know about the problem!

We're here for you.
Keith Kyzivat
Assistant Director of Programming #2/Weekend Events Manager
Anime Boston 2014
ADProg 2011-2014, Co-Chair 2009-2010, VC 2007-2008,
Secretary+Merch Mgr 2006, Merch Mgr 2004-2005, Vol+Merch Mgr 2003
Don Julio
Expert Poster

Post by Don Julio »

ill chime in my 2 cents, im one of the older guys(25) who went to the saturday dance/dance and i actually didnt dance that much do to the mixed age group....i actually said to myself " hmmm that girls kinda cute but theres prob a 50/50 chance she is under 18", i felt a little awkward knowing the girl dancing next to me could be my 16 year old cousin( who actually was there)

i think an 18+ dance is a good idea and wouldnt hurt
KittySlice

Post by KittySlice »

DERP! I had that happen to me and yes I'm 18! But to be honest I was just happy the guy I got grabbed by was cute. I just wish I had the courage to find out his name. There was also another guy who asked me to dance so I did and all of a sudden he started feelin me up an licked my neck. Weird but then again it was ok in a way. But I do vote that there should be an age limit. Then I wouldn't end up seeing little kids dancing even more wild then me! And that's all I have to put in lawl!
KittySlice
VanilliaKissu

Post by VanilliaKissu »

I'm not much for dances, but my best friend really wanted to go, since it was her first AB. She and me were usually together dancing, but at one point a guy came up to ask me to dance. Not to be judgmental or anything but he looked like a creeper. My friend totally just pulled me right to her at that moment and was like "She's with me.' it was quite funny. Needless to say, I'm still not to fond of dances.
kmcwilliams94
Determined Poster

Post by kmcwilliams94 »

[quote=Green_Lantern]i agree completely, i'm 23 years old and when i go in there and see these 12-15 year olds which it seems is the majority of the people there, it makes me feel like a pedo just being in the same dance, especially when i see these girls grinding on people. its just weird[/quote]
people should learn to just have fun, not use it as a "sex fest" away from there parents, grinding and making out and things along that line should be done in the privacy of a hotel room, not out in the open for everyone to see.

and my boyfriend stayed late saturday (i went back to my room) and he's 15 and a man about 40 years old came out to him and started to dance with him and tried to play "the pocky game" with a glowstick with him.
so it isnt just girls being harassed.
AB 2015
Mami Tomoe (Friday),
Armin (Saturday)
Sailor Moon (Sunday)
Mama Undertaker
Dedicated Poster

Post by Mama Undertaker »

I didnt go to any dances this year, i usually go to one but it might have been a good thing i didnt. I am a hitter and screamer so if a guy started to do stuff like what was said above and didnt stop when asked or walked away from. I would have just started screaming as loud as i could or started getting violent.

hitting is bad dont hit people but screaming may be a good option especially if they dont stop even after being asked, and ignored. It draws attention to you and the other person which is usually what they dont want and it makes them back down not to mention everyone else will see them and that makes him easier to keep an eye on lowering his chances of messing with another person. And or it will get staff involved and then he wont be able to do squat anymore
Anime Boston 2014 Booya peoples I am coming back!! I have for my Line up Captain James Kidd (AC4) Queen Undertaker and regular Undertaker (black butler, Raichu (pokemon)
LeeleeTheBunny
AB Alumni

Post by LeeleeTheBunny »

If you think those guys harassing you are scary then you haven't seen our awesome overnight security team. They are there to help you and will never leave you in an unwanted situation. Look for orange security shirts! Also, it helps other people when you get security since they have the ability to kick people out so they cannot harass anyone else.

Glad to hear you were all in some way "rescued" though. I wish there was a way to eliminate the creepy people who make the dance less fun, but if you get a security staffer we can work to drastically cut it down. =)

Lindsay
Masquerade Coordinator 2009-2011
Video Gaming Coordinator 2011
Executive Advisory Board 2011
Hakkyou1403

Post by Hakkyou1403 »

I think an 18+ dance would be cool, but I imagine it would be difficult to hire more DJ's and get all the equipment set up. I usually prefer to dance alone but I did notice a lot of touching going on on the dance floor. I think that if you are harassed just let someone know. I know that AB doesn't play about stuff like that and they can and will help.
kmcwilliams94
Determined Poster

Post by kmcwilliams94 »

[quote=Hakkyou1403]I think an 18+ dance would be cool, but I imagine it would be difficult to hire more DJ's and get all the equipment set up. I usually prefer to dance alone but I did notice a lot of touching going on on the dance floor. I think that if you are harassed just let someone know. I know that AB doesn't play about stuff like that and they can and will help.[/quote]
:thumbup: i agree with this guy
AB 2015
Mami Tomoe (Friday),
Armin (Saturday)
Sailor Moon (Sunday)
Aulos
I'm new!

Post by Aulos »

Guy here...
Imagine the awkwardness when you learn the dance wasn't 18+... things made a lot more sense after that.
Well not that it would have changed anything if it were - nothing happened nor would happen. I just enjoyed the dance.
AB 2012: Marth - Saturday, Sunday
AB 2011: Sho Minamimoto - All weekend
iamgiselle

Re: The 'That looks like date-r*pe' guys

Post by iamgiselle »

im 16, and i am not one of the people getting naked and jumping on prople. I was 15 at the last AB, and this guy came up behind me and was trying to massage me and stuff, which was extremely creepy, but i told him to back off as i was underage, and it was done.
that being said, i would hate if they made an under 18 dance because im sick and tired of being prohibited from places when im not causing the trouble, its guys that are over 18.