The roadie wasnt funny. yeah, i said it.

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2011.
miaka_yuki
Getting the hang of this...

Post by miaka_yuki »

Okay, let's chat about what was wicked annoying about animeboston for just a second.
i'm sure not all of the staff was not an apathetic waste of space. but many were real disinterested in answering the most basic of questions. and a lot of the staff members seemed really misinformed. for instance, i lost my costume and no one could give me a straight answer about where the lost and found was, or if there even was one for the convention.

also, a staffer who checked our i.d's for the cosplay burlesque was extremely bitchy and entitled for no reason. Our group was all over 18 anyway, but unfortunately we are from new hampshire which means "oh no, we have a paper id sometimes while we wait for a permanent plastic id to arrive in the mail."
they are valid and accepted in bars. but not in anime boston, even if you have to pay 55 dollars for a weekend pass only to be turned away.

we went to security, and they told us she was below them anyways, and she shouldn't have made any decisions about it. anyways, we got in anime burlesque and it did rock.

it was annoying.
ya dig.

Also, i know the majority of people attending the con were younger [which is great, new blood keeps anime alive], but the masquerade was a little too geared to the newer crowd of anime watchers, which made it really unbearable to probably everyone else.

and mostly, the roadie's jokes were really tired.

also, we did not hate everything. and will be back next convention, but this time a little drunk.
Death
Veteran Poster

Post by Death »

lost and found was on main floor... i kno they locked the doors and fail to place the info
liseyatthedisco
Veteran Poster

Post by liseyatthedisco »

I thought the roadie was funny actually. I still have the song stuck in my head.
Luckily I never had a problem with staff.
As for the skits, I thought most were pretty good, not as many mediocre ones as last year.
windibro.tumblr.com

2009: Zoey (L4D)
2010: Heather (SH3)
2011: Draco (AVPM) Gaz (IZ) Ellis (L4D2)
2012: Viscount Druitt
2013: ZillyWave, Dog Tier Jade, Black Rat
2014:Yang Xiao Long, Genocider Syo, Misty Day
2015: Newt Geiszler, Tooru Mutsuki
2016: Daisya Barry
Death
Veteran Poster

Post by Death »

rodie jokes... over done... not funny after some time

yeah id checks... tell them to get security b4 turning away...

im mad @ the fake info givers like giant robot man who gave fake e-mail... its anime boston... were nice ppl... NO FAKE INFO PLEASE... im not that much of a creep lol

i felt that i need my own personal lane for walkin in the halls cuz i was like bypassing everyoneee
Death
Veteran Poster

Post by Death »

for the masq, I WAS HOPING FOR A PRO GROUP TO PLACE! Cuz if you look up anime boston duck hunting from what 08 or 09, it was hilarious... and then ive never seen great ones like that again
Zigfried
Veteran Poster

Post by Zigfried »

At the end of the Masquerade it was explained that the Roadie was a last minute choice for the emcee. I'm not sure what happened to the original emcee, but the Roadie was a last minute solution given no preparation time whatsoever. However, he got out there, did a great job intro-ing skits, and threw out a few jokes to try and fit the mold of an emcee. He was basically ad-libbing it and giving his best shot under the circumstances. Don't take it out on him.
weatherfox

Post by weatherfox »

i felt the same way with the pre-masq show. this is only the second time i've gone to ab, but it's sort of dawned down on me that old memes are going funny to everyone just because everyone gets the references... i feel like all the jokes were too forced and just kinda make me facepalm 90% of the time... but hey, easy crowd, i guess (myself not included :p)

as for roadie... he would have been tolerable if he wasn't doing the same joke in between every skit. after the third time he made a "i pick things up and put it down" line i want to just sink into my seat out of second-hand embarrassment. sounds like some people liked him, though, and more power to them--it's just not my type of humor.

regardless, some of the skits made it all better, especially the vocaloid ones.
H. Guderian
Obsessed Poster

Post by H. Guderian »

I believe that some of those high quality skits you mentioned from the past were done by people normally on AB Staff. I would think if they're busy preparing for the con they might not always have time to create a whole brand new skit out of their own pockets every year.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Roadie = The villain of 2009, right? I am pretty sure of it.... well, 99% atleast. Looks like him.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Viajeras
Veteran Poster

Post by Viajeras »

Personally, I thought the Roadie was absolutely fantastic, especially for a last minute fill-in. People should keep in mind that because he was last minute, he probably had very, very little time to prepare which is why the ongoing joke was his main source of material. I doubt many people could pull off what he did, whether people liked him or not. I think he deserves some respect for this, personally.
Also, my friends and I encountered him wandering around many times after and his enthusiasm about the event was unmatched. I would have absolutely no complaints if he hosted the masq again next year. (: And this time, he would also have more time to prepare for it.
Anime Boston 2018 Plans & Possibilities
Friday - Hendrickson (S1 & S2) (Nanatsu no Taizai)
Sima Zhao (Dynasty Warriors 9)
Mila Babicheva (Yuri!!! On Ice)
hg revolution
Veteran Poster

Post by hg revolution »

Not a Roadie fan either. Running jokes are fine. The problem was he didn't seem to have any other jokes, and doing the same thing 28 times between every skit just gets grating. I guess the hockey score updates were kind of nice, for people who follow hockey (I don't). Mostly it seemed like a lot of stalling for time.
miaka_yuki

Post by miaka_yuki »

i know, right!
but seriously, just because he filled in last minute. i suppose to think he was better then he was.
i work in theater and last minutes fill in can be a lot better.

he was like a rougher blue clues host.
"hey kids! repeat after me, i pick things up... i put them down..."
then everyone does.
and gets awarded by the roadie sucking up to us after he did that same joke again!
"i love you guys" "you guys are cool"
... what was that about?

it all felt too needy and mother-approved.
megmo
Determined Poster

Post by megmo »

Wasn't a huge fan of the roadie either...but at some point the thought he was a last minute fill in crossed my mind during the Masquerade (didn't know for sure until I saw it here), since I could have sworn that I read/heard somewhere that one of the guys from last year was going to emcee again.

Taking into consideration that he was a last minute choice I thought he did a decent job, much better than what I would have done if I was in his shoes. I admit the jokes did get slightly annoying at times, they would have been better if they were spread out more so we didn't hear them between every skit, but that's just my personal opinion. In short...I thought he did a good job under the circumstances.
Suna Sato
Veteran Poster

Post by Suna Sato »

the roadie was a last minute change and to be honest doing all that on the fly was pretty hard give him credit i loved it and im sure if he had more time to plan it would have come out even better!
Of Course im Jenova again this year! Join me my children the year of the Jenovas Witness begins!!!!
ErinErin
Expert Poster

Post by ErinErin »

[quote=Death]lost and found was on main floor... i kno they locked the doors and fail to place the info[/quote]

I lost my sweater on Saturday and an AB staffer pointed me towards the Hynes security office for lost and found (unfortunately it wasn't found so I was very cold that day). It wasn't well marked but if you did find it, there was a sign on the door that said Lost & Found call this number and a phone you could use to call them directly. For future reference, it was across from the dealers room, next to the food stand as you head toward the escalators.
Vulcan
Determined Poster

Post by Vulcan »

The Roadie was always the side mascot next to A-Chan and B-Kun in all the themes. I honestly think he did a fantastic job, on top of that his humor had a Kevin James persona to it which made me enjoy even more.

The song he made up was catchy, but once it got to the, "NNNNGGGHHH GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!" stage then I wish I never heard it.

I hope he does host it again, or atleast be a co-host for more comedic relief.
AB2016
Jacob Frye: Assassin's Creed-Syndicate

Cosplay Page: https://www.facebook.com/SteeleRevolution/
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/c/SteeleRevolution7
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=miaka_yuki]
but seriously, just because he filled in last minute. i suppose to think he was better then he was.
i work in theater and last minutes fill in can be a lot better.
[/quote]
The Roadie was indeed a last-minute fill-in. Our normal MC could not be there due to unforeseen circumstances. While you may not have liked his jokes, he was doing the best he could on VERY short notice and, honestly, you might try having just a little more respect for him in your comments. You have made your opinion known and we do thank you for the feedback, and will keep it mind for next year. There's no need to be hurtful.

[quote=Death]for the masq, I WAS HOPING FOR A PRO GROUP TO PLACE! Cuz if you look up anime boston duck hunting from what 08 or 09, it was hilarious... and then ive never seen great ones like that again[/quote]
The Tetris skit was indeed a staff-run, non-competing skit. If memory serves, it was a group of tech staff who put together that one and the Duck Hunt skit. My recommendation would be, that if you want better quality skits, put one together yourself and get up there. :)
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
ZeroSnake

Post by ZeroSnake »

I loved the roadie he's one of my highlights of the con. I hope to see him again next year. the song may not've been funny but you must admit he was entertaining, also the credits dance was priceless. the staff had alot more rules than other cons I'm use to like the no signs and bokken rule too away alot of the fun.
Silvered Fox

Post by Silvered Fox »

The roady tried his best ^.^ He had maybe, what, A half hour? hour to get all his material in order? For the entire masq?

He was very enthusiastic about trying his hardest from the little I talked to him ^.^

And I can't believe he picked up our Piano XD I hope someone recorded that because we couldn't see anything while breaking down, but I wish I could have seen that XD I just heard about it afterwards.
shaunie

Post by shaunie »

I actually enjoyed the masq. this year. Granted my friends were in it, but the Roadie did a wonderful job. I'm not a person who is really into the newer animes and such, but his jokes were actually funny, ESPECIALLY when he was picked last minute to do such a big event. Kudos to him. I actually laughed for once at the masq >_> -ahem- anywho he did a good job and he got the crowd riled up and got them to laugh and join in on his song.
I pick things up I put things down.
xD woo.
SpazzyNinjaSpork
Expert Poster

Post by SpazzyNinjaSpork »

If anything, his enthusiasm was flawless. While I agree that his running joke got a little less funny after a while, he kept me laughing. I also loved his song.
I have nothing but respect for the guy; he definitely took the challenge of being a last-minute emcee and was successful. I thought he did a great job.
Anime Boston 2011: Angel Stocking (Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt), Fuko (Clannad)
Anime Boston 2012: Naoto Shirogane (Persona 4)
Anime Boston 2013: Tamako Kitashirakawa (Tamako Market), maybe Marceline (Adventure Time)
Do I bleed awesome? No. Awesome bleeds me.
lordofvt
AB Staff

Post by lordofvt »

[quote=Kiarrens][quote=miaka_yuki]
[quote=Death]for the masq, I WAS HOPING FOR A PRO GROUP TO PLACE! Cuz if you look up anime boston duck hunting from what 08 or 09, it was hilarious... and then ive never seen great ones like that again[/quote]
The Tetris skit was indeed a staff-run, non-competing skit. If memory serves, it was a group of tech staff who put together that one and the Duck Hunt skit. My recommendation would be, that if you want better quality skits, put one together yourself and get up there. :)[/quote]

The Duck Hunt and Tetris skits are something I was a part of those 2 years (08-09). We'd love to come back but really most of us are far too busy to be in the Masq.
Andrew Reckers
Schedule Coordinator 2021-2022
Director of Programming 2015-2020
NorfKhazad
Experienced Poster

Post by NorfKhazad »

Personally I liked the Roadie. Sure, he repeated jokes a lot, but given it was all off the cuff I think he did a good job. His obvious enthusiasm and charisma made up for his lack of preparation in my opinion. I'd like to see anyone here who is belittling him do better without any prep time.
Jezzy
Expert Poster

Post by Jezzy »

A source tells me that poor Roadie was terrified before going on stage. Bless his heart for putting on a brave face and getting through it. I think given the time to prepare, he could be awesome. I'd love to see him again.
DevilAcolyte

Post by DevilAcolyte »

Say what you want, but I thought the Roadie did an amazing job, he's my freakin' hero now ^.^ I would have shriveled up and died on that stage, but he stood there and made almost everybody laugh. If any of you critics were as dedicated to the event and as bold as he is, well, maybe you would have made it up there, but you didn't, and that's because the Roadie is [color:red]THE MAN[/color]! ^.^
Tods
I'm new!

Re: The roadie wasnt funny. yeah, i said it.

Post by Tods »

Was roadie made some jokes funny short? I think roadie was made some jokes funny short. But why are you telling that roadie was not funny?