Rude Cosplayers (cosplayers that are rude)

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2011.
Onipuck
Veteran Poster

Post by Onipuck »

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a Burlesque Expo?
momoney781
Veteran Poster

Post by momoney781 »

[quote=LoveofCountry]This was my first con in costume, there was a lot i wasn't prepared for. Boston Traffic, fanboys, hugging strangers. I rolled with all of it and had a blast with the unexpected except for this one guy.

I spent minimum 6 hours a day for 3 1/2 months working on my Dante costume. This megaman comes up to me and my friends by the escalators with a costume that looks like he made it in 10 minutes. He's green, very large, and he starts calling me "Carmen Sandiego" and asks "where in the world I've been" and something along the lines of I better start running away.

Number one, who the hell are you? Where were you raised? a barn?

Number two, take a look at yourself fella, your color isn't even right (basic, basic sh*t unless ofcourse you're doing some boss power variant like Megaman sting chameleon, wheel gator, etc. but the lack of effort involved in the rest of your getup makes me very skeptical on that kind of thought)

Three, our games are made by the same F*cking company. Could you seriously be that big of a fan of one and not even vaguely aware of the other?

It took all my willpower to not pistol whip this fool. Anyway, minor speedbump on an otherwise perfect weekend. If you're on here buddy, you're a d*ck, kill yourself.[/quote]

Not a fan of the kill yourself comment. But I saw you at Anime Boston and your Dante looked awesome. I dont see how Carmen Sandiego looks anything near Dante. Epic fail of an insult on his part
Nothing is true, Everything is permitted

AB 11' Ezio Auditore
AB 12' Altair-Assassin's Creed
Kratos- God of War
SSJ Goku- Dragon Ball Z
BorderlineCrazy
Experienced Poster

Post by BorderlineCrazy »

So It was saturday, I was in my SH nurse cosplay, casually walking through the Sheraton ro get to the con, when some guy walks up to me and says: "the coloration is off and the collar is wrong" and walked away :|
Sure, my cosplay wasn't the greatest, but that was rude and unessissary of him. And it ended up making me feel self-concious about my cosplay for the rest of the day.
NotWaldo
Getting the hang of this...

Re: Rude Cosplayers (cosplayers that are rude)

Post by NotWaldo »

The only issue I ran into is on Saturday a group of younger males claiming to be from 'Anonymous' had been stopping people in the hallways and yelling things at them. They also were carrying a large flag on a pole which they had hit me in the head with, (accidental or otherwise it was completely unnecessary).
fluffymecrazy
Expert Poster

Post by fluffymecrazy »

Personally, I really had problems with a few Len, Ciel, and Sebastian cosplayers. They were really rude when I tried to be nice and compliment them :/ beside them, everyone was really nice! Ist was alot of fun, and it was my first con <3

Hopefully I won't run into those rude people again next year .-.;;;;
I am a magical unicorn. DO NOT JUDGE ME.

AB '11; Megurine Luka, Love is War
AB '12; Ruki, The GazettE "Zetsu"
Heine, DOGS: Bullets and Carnage

Yah, I know... I'm a n00b, problem? >w>
The_Graverobber
Getting the hang of this...

Post by The_Graverobber »

Unfortunately rude cosplayers are going to be at any con. Some people are just jerks (ie the one who was commenting about the transgender and the guy with no class talking about the orgasm anime), but most tend to have their jerk moments because of something that happened which you didn't see. I know people want to point fingers and out anyone that didn't give them the time of day, but on the flip side, how do you know that person is having a great day or if they just had an argument, fight, etc before you showed up? That's something people should remember before they get on their "I want my picture dammit" high-horse.

But something I haven't seen anyone mention yet which directly affects me and a few friends of mine: Some people get into character, and those characters aren't the friendliest. For instance, I cosplay Heath Ledger's Joker. Tell me at what point in the Dark Knight do you see him strolling down the street, handing out lollipops and shooting the crap with the cops about what a beautiful day it is in Gotham? I know I didn't. My demeanor in costume is that of this Joker. So when I get asked for hugs, people are surprised when I just stare blankly at them like "You're kidding me, right?" Anyone in character dressed as a villain would act similarly. But it's funny how the same people will say "Amazing characterization work," but when it happens to them, they get all pissy.

And on a final note: People yelling out quotes by the character TO the cosplayer, please stop. Clearly, they know the lines, they liked the character enough to dress as them. Especially when their outfit is damn near perfect. Whether I'm dressed as Joker, or Capt. Jack, you aren't the first person to ask "Why so serious?" or "Why is the rum gone?" Have some originality instead of spewing out the same thing over and over again because you can't take the two seconds and brain power to think of something else to say. I've seen countless other people in costume get harassed (Yeah, that's technically harassment if they don't like it) in the same way. A friend of mine was dressed as Superman and random people kept yelling "WRONG" in his face...despite the fact he was dressed as the Chris Reeve Superman, not Brandon Routh (Superman Returns). If anyone else has had this happen, you know what I'm talking about.
royalbakaness
Obsessed Poster

Post by royalbakaness »

The_Graverobber wrote: But something I haven't seen anyone mention yet which directly affects me and a few friends of mine: Some people get into character, and those characters aren't the friendliest. For instance, I cosplay Heath Ledger's Joker. Tell me at what point in the Dark Knight do you see him strolling down the street, handing out lollipops and shooting the crap with the cops about what a beautiful day it is in Gotham? I know I didn't. My demeanor in costume is that of this Joker. So when I get asked for hugs, people are surprised when I just stare blankly at them like "You're kidding me, right?" Anyone in character dressed as a villain would act similarly. But it's funny how the same people will say "Amazing characterization work," but when it happens to them, they get all pissy.
I do have to agree with this. Being in character doesn't necessarily mean they're being rude, they're just cosplaying. I usually dress up as cute little characters so I really feel bad refusing hugs, etc. but someone like, say, Sephiroth, is not as likely to give out hugs when in character (unless you're Jenova). And honestly, seeing the person in character is better than a hug in my opinon. At Otakon 2010, we saw a Kefka with the perfect laugh, and my brother was wicked excited when he got him to insult and laugh at him. Go with the flow ;-)
Also, on a side note, I saw you as Captain Jack and your friend as Superman! You guys were awesome!! TOTALLY looked the part!
A swirly ice-cream cone of good and evil
AB 10: Ryo-ohki
AB 11: Touko Amano, Luna in cat form, Ryo-ohki
AB 12: Belarus, Hungary, fem!Canada
AB 13 : Eponine, GLaDOS, Sunako Nakahara
AB 14 : Princess Cadance, GLaDOS, Applejack
AB 15: Makise Kurisu
AB 16: GLaDOS, Steampunk Alice, Scarlet Benoit
AB 17: Ryo-ohki, Rei Hino (school uniform), Sunako Nakahara
AB 18: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles), casual steampunk
Wilderstorm
Expert Poster

Post by Wilderstorm »

I was there with some friends and my (now ex) bf who was cosplaying from Assassin's Creed, and several girls totally threw themselves at him. Like, draped all over him, which seems extremely rude to me...I mean, we were walking together and holding hands, and not even from the same source material (I was cosplaying Kallen). Come on, people. If you see someone who clearly has a bf/gf with them, don't pull that crap.

Also, I remember some people being very rude to me in '07 when I cosplayed from Yu-Gi-Oh GX. Just because you personally don't like the show, it doesn't make it okay to tell a 13-year-old that she has shitty taste in anime :( It was my first con, and I'm just glad there were more nice people than mean ones, because that could easily have turned me off of the experience.
2007: Kaiser Ryo (Yu-Gi-Oh GX)
2008: Neji Hyuuga (Naruto)
2009: Zero (Code Geass R2), Artbook Lelouch
2010: Hotaru (Samurai Deeper Kyo MANGA)
2011: Kallen Kouzuki (Code Geass R1)
2012: Rei Ayanami (Neon Genesis Evangelion), Kallen Kouzuki, Cheren (Pokemon Black and White), Kaiser Ryo, Zero (Event-only), Neji (Event-only)
2013: Hishigi (Samurai Deeper Kyo), Youko Kurama (Yu Yu Hakusho), Rin Matsuoka (Free!/Swimming Anime)

Saturday 2019: Hell Kaiser Ryo (Yu-Gi-Oh! GX)