Rude Cosplayers (cosplayers that are rude)

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2011.
Syagria
Obsessed Poster

Post by Syagria »

[quote=ErinErin][quote=LunarGoddess8886]I will never understand why cosplayers dress up.. it pisses me off how you ask to take a pic and they ignore you and walk away... and if they allow you to take a pic.. they cringe when you hug them... if you dont want to be hugged or have your picture taken PLEASE DO NOT COSPLAY you are no fun and people hate you! >=O[/quote]

Sorry but I don't like to be touched. Period. Especially by a stranger. Would you walk up to random strangers and demand a hug in any other public setting? Plus 99% of the time people hug me at cons, they don't ask, and 99% of the time they smell REALLY BAD. Ew. ...If I don't want to pose for pictures or interact with some people, I don't have to. [/quote]

This this this. Just because I am dressed up does not give anyone the right to demand a hug from me. *Nothing* gives anyone the right to demand body contact, and *nothing* gives anyone the right to throw a hissyfit when their request, no matter how politely worded, is denied. And those who invade personal space without even asking if it is okay are the worst of the lot. If a cosplayer says, "I'm sorry, no," to your request for a hug, there is usually a very good reason - expensive cosplay, fragile props, tangle-prone wig, dislike of physical contact with total strangers, overheated, reducing risk of being touched by wandering hands, or, frankly, the hug-wanter is sweaty and smells bad. Some cosplayers refuse hugs purely on principle, feeling that it would be awkward or cause hurt feelings to say yes to one person and then deny the next.

As for photos, there are only two reasons I ever denied any photos at all this weekend: one was to move to a place that didn't block traffic. The second was that I was rushing to a photoshoot that I was running late for because I kept stopping for photos. I felt bad for denying them, but made sure I was polite about it, explained why, and assure them that I would be around a while longer so they could find me again.

People who are rude in turning down a photo could, in fact, genuinely be having a really bad day. Cosplayers are only human.
Anime Boston Cosplays:
14: Death
13: Wonder Woman, Kitsune
12: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Wonder Woman
11: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Princess Eries Aston
10: Princess Eries Aston, Zatanna
09: Hermes (1st Place Intermediate), Lotis Master Alice Seno
08: Haruhara Haruko, Sumomo, Lotis Master Alice Seno
07: Haruhara Haruko, R. Dorothy Wayneright
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

I have given about two or three hugs all weekend. The first was to the squid monster.... I was dressed up as a Jrock-styled person. My friend dressed as Tieria from Gundam 00 hugged him, and pretty much forced me to hug him. Felt a bit creepy. ._.;

The other time, when I was Cardcaptor Sakura, I was walking down the hall, and a girl stopped me and asked for a hug. I allowed it. If you ask, I may let it happen. Hugging out of the blue makes me feel awkward. I remember my very, very first year there, I was Ryoga from Ranma, and this girl charged and glomped me in the back. I was saying in my mind "What the hell? O_o".... turned around, and saw her wrapped around me at the waist looking up and smiling. Needless to say, I felt very awkward there.... to the point I didn't know what to say to her. I was new to the whole con thing, and didn't even know the glomp/hug stuff happened.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
Shinden
Veteran Poster

Post by Shinden »

I was asked for hugs (one from a dealer, it was a memorable occasion after buying a plushie) and was luckily never hugged. Honestly I had no problems with cosplayers being rude this year. It was enjoyable.

I was really quiet and awkward this year, though, making sure not to make anyone else feel awkward. I want to loosen up next year like I have been in the past.
2012: I, Otaku
2013: off
2014: An Introduction to Kill La Kill
2015: Beyond Honnouji
2016: Japanophile's Guide to Boston, Nippon wo Mamore
2017: All About the Imperial Family
2018: Contrasts of Tezuka
WigglyOwl
AB Staff

Post by WigglyOwl »

I wanted to ask for a hug xD But it seemed like a bad idea, I didnt want to break anything. Pyramid head looks nothing like The Executioner, I dont understand it lol.

BTW~ Here's the pic I took of you :'D
http://i51.tinypic.com/bgeikl.jpg
Vi Brea
Security Staff
Operations Division
2016-2024

Guest Selection Committee
2023-2024
EatTheKids
Experienced Poster

Post by EatTheKids »

I REAAAALLY hope no one thought I snubbed them or ignored them when they asked for pictures. I realize that I might've walked past a few people that wanted photos without noticing them, mostly due to the fact I couldn't hear so well under the helmet and general buzz of the crowd. I did try to let anyone who wanted to take a picture do so, but if I did walk by without noticing, I apologize.
AB'06-07~Attendee
AB'08-10~Merchant (RE4)
AB'11~S.A.S. CT (CS: Source)
AB'12~S.A.S. CT (CS: Source)
AB'13~S.A.S. CT (CS: Source)
Shining Armor{Modern Interpretation} (MLP)
80's Hong Kong Movie Detective
Edobean
Expert Poster

Post by Edobean »

[quote=ToumaShacho]
Case in point: The Dark Side of Pokémon panel...I was psyched to go to it, and was supposed to be meeting one of the panelists. She knew I was going to be there, and I only made it in the last two or so minutes because the room filled up so badly. [/quote]

...I'm a boy, Gold. xD

Just so this is on-topic: There was quite a bit of transphobia going on at the con. My friend, who is an FTM, was standing in line. He can't bind his breasts because he has health issues. He also has a beard and appears very masculine. Someone, who by the way could TELL he was trans, started making extremely off-color jokes about how he was a "he-she" and asked "why he had boobs" if he was male. I just heard about this and I am APPALLED. DDD8 WHAT THE **** THAT IS NOT OKAY NO NONNONONONONOKDLGJFKLDGJKLD WHAT. If I was there, I would have turned to the ***hole and asked, "Why do YOU have boobs?" (Apparently he was kinda... heavy.) There were also a lot of people referring to a transwoman in the elevator with me as "he", and she just looked sad. They didn't mean any harm and were just talking to her, but they really didn't consider that MAYBE SHE WAS A WOMAN. I felt so bad for her. Honestly, if someone is dressed up to present themselves as a woman, it's best to just say "she", because you never know if they're crossdressing or really are a woman who was born with the wrong set of parts.
Skanking_Pickle
Expert Poster

Post by Skanking_Pickle »

[quote=Pyro][quote=ToumaShacho]
Case in point: The Dark Side of Pokémon panel...I was psyched to go to it, and was supposed to be meeting one of the panelists. She knew I was going to be there, and I only made it in the last two or so minutes because the room filled up so badly. [/quote]

...I'm a boy, Gold. xD

Just so this is on-topic: There was quite a bit of transphobia going on at the con. My friend, who is an FTM, was standing in line. He can't bind his breasts because he has health issues. He also has a beard and appears very masculine. Someone, who by the way could TELL he was trans, started making extremely off-color jokes about how he was a "he-she" and asked "why he had boobs" if he was male. I just heard about this and I am APPALLED. DDD8 WHAT THE **** THAT IS NOT OKAY NO NONNONONONONOKDLGJFKLDGJKLD WHAT. If I was there, I would have turned to the ***hole and asked, "Why do YOU have boobs?" (Apparently he was kinda... heavy.) There were also a lot of people referring to a transwoman in the elevator with me as "he", and she just looked sad. They didn't mean any harm and were just talking to her, but they really didn't consider that MAYBE SHE WAS A WOMAN. I felt so bad for her. Honestly, if someone is dressed up to present themselves as a woman, it's best to just say "she", because you never know if they're crossdressing or really are a woman who was born with the wrong set of parts. [/quote]

*sigh* People can be such jerks...I see stuff like that and I flip. Sometimes it's just best to say "frack em all" and keep on trucking. They'll get theres one day.
Cosplay.com page- BlondieSundae
Deviantart- SkullsAndStripes
Cosplay Tumblr- The Cosplay Compendium
Clueless
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Clueless »

...I'm a boy, Gold. xD

Just so this is on-topic: There was quite a bit of transphobia going on at the con. My friend, who is an FTM, was standing in line. He can't bind his breasts because he has health issues. He also has a beard and appears very masculine. Someone, who by the way could TELL he was trans, started making extremely off-color jokes about how he was a "he-she" and asked "why he had boobs" if he was male. I just heard about this and I am APPALLED. DDD8 WHAT THE **** THAT IS NOT OKAY NO NONNONONONONOKDLGJFKLDGJKLD WHAT. If I was there, I would have turned to the ***hole and asked, "Why do YOU have boobs?" (Apparently he was kinda... heavy.) There were also a lot of people referring to a transwoman in the elevator with me as "he", and she just looked sad. They didn't mean any harm and were just talking to her, but they really didn't consider that MAYBE SHE WAS A WOMAN. I felt so bad for her. Honestly, if someone is dressed up to present themselves as a woman, it's best to just say "she", because you never know if they're crossdressing or really are a woman who was born with the wrong set of parts. [/quote]

...Wow. A. I'm GOLD. XD Silver turned his comp of already, but didn't realize there was an S there until JUST NOW. It was an honest typo.

[I know how that feels, Red. People just assume you're one gender. Bl]
SlAyErPaTh
Dedicated Poster

Post by SlAyErPaTh »

[quote=EatTheKids]I REAAAALLY hope no one thought I snubbed them or ignored them when they asked for pictures. I realize that I might've walked past a few people that wanted photos without noticing them, mostly due to the fact I couldn't hear so well under the helmet and general buzz of the crowd. I did try to let anyone who wanted to take a picture do so, but if I did walk by without noticing, I apologize.[/quote]
This was also occured with me when I was dressed up as Ghost as I wore sound proof earmuffs and I was told a couple times by my friends that people have yelled out to me. So ya, to those people out there, tap on the shoulder. Don't mind being bothered.
Edobean
Expert Poster

Post by Edobean »

[quote=Clueless][quote=Pyro][quote=ToumaShacho]

...I'm a boy, Gold. xD

...Wow. A. I'm GOLD. XD Silver turned his comp of already, but didn't realize there was an S there until JUST NOW. It was an honest typo.

[I know how that feels, Red. People just assume you're one gender. Bl][/quote]

Ahaha yeah I was making a joke based on the typo. I should have used italics or something lmao xD Funny story: My brother had Silver, so he always called the rival "Gold". IT BOTHERED ME. XD But it's cool; I kept mixing up which of the Silvers was male and which was female. There were two other females who were female and one other who was male, so I was like "HER-- NO WAIT THAT ONE WAS THE BOY, RIGHT?" Ahahaha xD

[RIGHT??? I've never run into worse than being called "Justin Bieber" (because I love looking androgynous), no one ever confuses my gender, and if anything I usually get remarks on my sexuality, and those are always in jest. I get lucky, apparently. Ugh, I hate it when ignorant people say things that ARE hurtful to trans* people.]
Gundytron
I'm new!

Post by Gundytron »

Hey, I jumped in to a picture that someone was taking of you and the Ghost with the tan M-4, and I feel that it was somewhat rude of me. Sorry about that!
EatTheKids
Experienced Poster

Post by EatTheKids »

Oh that's no problem at all, at least to me. It's a con, cons are fun, photobombs are also fun. :laugh:
AB'06-07~Attendee
AB'08-10~Merchant (RE4)
AB'11~S.A.S. CT (CS: Source)
AB'12~S.A.S. CT (CS: Source)
AB'13~S.A.S. CT (CS: Source)
Shining Armor{Modern Interpretation} (MLP)
80's Hong Kong Movie Detective
Serenatai

Post by Serenatai »

Ahhh, rude people. I had someone hit my son because they weren't paying attention to their surroundings. Being the momma bear I am, I was not too happy with these people. I gave them a good hard glare! >:D

Also, I was cosplaying Luka from Vocaloid, and I apologize to anyone who I snubbed because there were a few that I did. I was either in a rush to take care of my son or to get something to eat because of my blood sugars.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

...I'm a boy, Gold. xD

As a MtF myself, however, not really out and about with it, I feel for him. Can't speak on the FtM side, but on this side, it is definitely hard dealing with facial hair and acceptance. Best part about the con is though, is that you can crossplay and for the most part, if you look the part good enough, it could be a great feeling. I was dressed up as Cardcaptor Sakura one day, and a fem-Jrocker another. I was called a girl as the JRocker quite a few amount of times, and as Sakura, I got alot of "Awe, that's cute"s when I pulled out my Kero plush. Needless to say, this was my happiest year. Even my male friend, I was expecting him to say "Oh boy, that doesn't look good" with my Sakura, but when he saw, he actually said "I am amazed how well you can pull that off"...

Sucks TG people are bottom-barrel when it comes to acceptance.... if I wasn't so darn timid, I would like to try moreso not just at anime cons. Well, I hope your friend well. Just let him know that he isn't walking it alone.
Kyncha

Post by Kyncha »

There was this Larxene I saw walking around, and at first I didn't get their picture, but then I saw them again in the dealers room, and so my friend went over to take a pic..

I'm not sure if they were trying to be in character or not cause they seemed kinda aggravated when she asked xD; I mean, good job if you were, but if not, then don't take it out on us D'8;
LoveofCountry

Post by LoveofCountry »

This was my first con in costume, there was a lot i wasn't prepared for. Boston Traffic, fanboys, hugging strangers. I rolled with all of it and had a blast with the unexpected except for this one guy.

I spent minimum 6 hours a day for 3 1/2 months working on my Dante costume. This megaman comes up to me and my friends by the escalators with a costume that looks like he made it in 10 minutes. He's green, very large, and he starts calling me "Carmen Sandiego" and asks "where in the world I've been" and something along the lines of I better start running away.

Number one, who the hell are you? Where were you raised? a barn?

Number two, take a look at yourself fella, your color isn't even right (basic, basic sh*t unless ofcourse you're doing some boss power variant like Megaman sting chameleon, wheel gator, etc. but the lack of effort involved in the rest of your getup makes me very skeptical on that kind of thought)

Three, our games are made by the same F*cking company. Could you seriously be that big of a fan of one and not even vaguely aware of the other?

It took all my willpower to not pistol whip this fool. Anyway, minor speedbump on an otherwise perfect weekend. If you're on here buddy, you're a d*ck, kill yourself.
Toph88
Expert Poster

Post by Toph88 »

This isn't really rude but it was still kinda lame for someone to point out.
I was cosplaying Black Star from SE & I had a plushie Tsubaki. I'm a girl & was originally suppose to cosplay Tusbaki but things got messed up & my boyfriend allowed me to steal his BStar cosplay for a while. Well I was walking down the 3rd floor hall & someone in the FUNi industry panel line pointed to me, then said something to his friend about how it should have been the other way, that since I was a girl, I should have been cosplaying Tsubaki & had a BStar plushie. They weren't even in cosplay themselves! & I really don't have a problem crossplaying since he is my favorite character & I met one other girl cosplaying him too. I just think its uncalled for, for someone to point out something like that. I know I wasn't the only other one crossplaying at AB.... :/
Cons been to: Anime Boston '09, '11, '12, '13, '14
TheBorgiasDevil
Experienced Poster

Post by TheBorgiasDevil »

I found that, this year especially, there was generally a LOT of rudeness and a distinct lack of respect amongst almost the entire con. It was really upsetting me and my friends because last year the over-all feel of the con was very friendly and this year almost everyone I interacted with was rude, save for a few awesome people. This was especially true when it came to photoshoots and interacting with people cosplaying from the same show as me. I even got snapped at once by a cosplayer for touching her arm, but she had no problem shoving someone so hard against me that I almost fell over. :\
jittykitty

Post by jittykitty »

[quote=ChibiKittay]The only issue I had with anyone being rude was when I was with my daughter, she's 4 and people would push past her. Or when the whole Marco Polo yelling went on one girl right next to me and my little girl yelled out f*ck you...I was quite pissed off and prob. would have had some words with her if not for my daughter being there, but then again I wouldn't have minded as much is my daughter was not with me in the first place ^^; Just was not happy since she obviously had seen me and my daughter since she looked over at us.[/quote]

I was wondering if you knew what the girl was cosplaying as or cosplaying at all cause I was shouting shutup alot during the marco polo things and I feel I might have said f u with out thinking but I am not sure, and if it was me I am deeply sorry about that
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

[quote=Tanukigal]This isn't really rude but it was still kinda lame for someone to point out.
I was cosplaying Black Star from SE & I had a plushie Tsubaki. I'm a girl & was originally suppose to cosplay Tusbaki but things got messed up & my boyfriend allowed me to steal his BStar cosplay for a while. Well I was walking down the 3rd floor hall & someone in the FUNi industry panel line pointed to me, then said something to his friend about how it should have been the other way, that since I was a girl, I should have been cosplaying Tsubaki & had a BStar plushie. They weren't even in cosplay themselves! & I really don't have a problem crossplaying since he is my favorite character & I met one other girl cosplaying him too. I just think its uncalled for, for someone to point out something like that. I know I wasn't the only other one crossplaying at AB.... :/ [/quote]

Wow.... you know, up until now, I never thought that girls crossplaying had so many hardships, since, you know, most of the girls see at the con DO crossplay. Sorry to hear. :(
VinnyWayland
I'm new!

Post by VinnyWayland »

i found a same chick like that in the dealers room! like she bumped into me then flips out that im ruining her cosplay!! then later when i was at Animadness, i was talkin to one of the guys whom i personally know, then she comes up, waits next to me for 10seconds then blurts out "OH THATS NICE, WHATEVER" and had my friend working help her out, thankfully (and to much enjoyment to me), he told her to go screw herself and she wasnt welcome to their table for the rest of the con (:
pokeralice

Post by pokeralice »

I was extremely happy to see someone dressed up as Leon from Resident Evil. He looked really good so of course I asked him for a hug, he gave me one but was kind of a jerk about it. If he didn't want a hug he could of just said so.I can understand when people don't want a hug but don't say yes and then glare at me. Not going to lie it kind of ticked me off.
AB 2012 cosplays
Haruko (FLCL with real guitar)
Plusle with Minun Gajinka (Pokemon)

AB 2013 cosplays:
Rigby -regular show
Witch -madoka magica
Kickass babe -????
Jentress1378

Post by Jentress1378 »

I only denied 1 photo.. I was cranky, standing outside the food court in my Kakashi cosplay and on the phone. Sorry if I seemed rude, I really like having pics taken.. but it was just one of those moments.

Ok, my one gripe (besides marco polo >.< )
was all the people shouting "Bowie sensei!!" or "it's David Bowie!" While I was in my Kakashi.

Yes I know it's from some abridged Naruto thing. Yeah.. I know you're trying to be funny.
However, I just got aggravated hearing it every 5 minutes.
Really, not exaggerating. Every time I turned down a new hall.. or entered the hotel.. etc it was at least one person yelling that out at me.

I only responded to one and said something like "oh.. you're talking to me?"

After that.. it happened so often that I just ignored them until I heard "Kakashi!"

-end rant-
Salith
Obsessed Poster

Post by Salith »

I was with my friend for the majority of the weekend and she was cosplaying as the Heath Ledger Joker. For the first few times when we heard "Why so serioius?" it was funny but after the 10th time within an hour it did get annoying.

It happened so often she wanted to barrow my prop hammer and hit the next person but I kept her moving. Someone said something she enjoyed a lot better (I forgot what it was maybe "Why so smiley" ? or something) or if people instead asked how she got the scars. In the end though she always frowned when people kept asking her why so serious and would always retort "Why so original?" It did get annoying after a while especially since some people were rude about asking it.
Goldfish221
Veteran Poster

Post by Goldfish221 »

[quote=SaraIsWeirdish]Three things really irked me:
On Saturday, while on line for Brina's autograph, I had this guy in front of me saying things like, "In one show she was in, she had to make orgasm noises and her brother was the director and she had to make noises like she was having an orgasm" And if that wasn't enough, I was tramatized by that (Remember people! The people who look older, may actually be fourteen years old) he had NO respect for my personal space. I mean there was plenty of room in front of him, but when he turned around to talk to someone else about the orgasm noises (I had this "O____O" look on my face that prolly made him turn around) he was backed completely into me, so much I had to turn to the Grell behind and was like "I'm so sorry ;A;" And then my dad came over and told the guy that if he continued to do that, he would personally knock the guy out. Thank you daddy ;A;
2) Saturday, at the Professional Shoot with Grace (she commented earlier) I didn't mind the people who stood BEHIND and took pictures when I was not in optimum panty-shot position. But at one point, I had to kneel on the ground (I was Ranmao, from Kuroshitsuji. Aka, REALLY short skirt), and the photographer was a girl and was gonna edit out any panty-showing, and this guy came over, looked me up and down, did a creeper smile, then took out his camera, I was like "I'm afraid of panty-shots ;A; please don't take a picture." He held the camera a little higher, said "Don't worry about it" and took the picture ;A; I was like, traumatized.

THIS ONE, left me scared and crying for the next hour.
3) I have no idea if this guy was attending the con or whatever, and I think one of you guys may have mentioned this, it happened in the parking area that you could get to from the Sheraton. It was sunday, and my dad was bringing down the bags and stuff to the car while I was at a panel, and my dad brought the dogs down to the car, they were going to stay in there for an hour so my dad could get the rest of the stuff, the guy at the counter for the garage said it was okay. So my dad has the car down there, from what my told me of the first encounter, the guy came up to my dad and started yelling, "What the hell?! You left your dogs in the CAR!? You probably left them there ALL NIGHT! No, ALL WEEKEND! What the hell is wrong with you! THAT'S ANIMAL ABUSE!" and my dad showed him the stuff stating how we had the dogs in the hotel room with us all weekend, since the sheraton allowed it. So he walked away, then my dad went to go get the rest of the stuff, the guy wrote something containing the "f word" on the back of our car. Then threatened to call the police on my dad. Then he called the police on my dad. My dad had to get me from the convention, grab our stuff, checkout and get back down to the car. But, I had to get changed out of my Lolita cosplay still, so my dad got out of the car to stand guard, and the guy from earlier came, I was still getting my pants on, so my dad was going to make sure no one came up to the car. So the guy charged at my dad, started circling around him, ran at him to throw another punch, but my dad knew I was in the car so major paternal instincts kicked in and he got the guy before he got to my dad. All the meanwhile, I was in the car bawling since the guy threw a punch at my dad, I opened the window and was yelling for someone to help my dad. ;A; it was so scary, and then the guy walked away, went to the desk and told the lady some poopy, and my dad came to the car to comfort me. The guy came up to the car, saw me crying and started laughing at me, giving us the middle finger and looking into the windows. The police came and let us go home, we don't know what happened to the guy, but I hope at least that his face hurts.
[/quote]

OMG My friend and I were talking to your dad in the elevator prior to this happening! You dad was so nice, that guy that accused your dad of animal abuse should be arrest and have charges pressed against him for assault and I'm sure there are other things that guy can be charged with.

I have 6 dogs of my own, and I've seen and worked with abused/neglected dogs. Your dogs were happy and healthy it didn't take a brain surgeon to figure that out. I hope your dad doesn't hate anime Boston because of that idiot. >: I wish I knew that was happening I would have charged right in, heck if I had my dogs I would have let them loose on the guy. xP

But yeah your dad should find out who that guy was and sue him ^^ What he did was not right, and he should be let off.
~Anime Boston 202 Cosplay Line Up~

(Subject to Change)
Jeanne D'arc Alter - Fate Grand Order
Lady Nagant - My Hero Academia
Penny - Pokemon Violet
Liliana Vess -Magic the Gathering
J-Man

Post by J-Man »

I'm not sure if they were cosplayers, since I just got a glance at them. But there was this snide person who said to me "Aren't you a little old to be here?" (Yes, I'm over 30). In retrospect, I should've said to him, "No. Aren't you a little old to be acting like you're five?"
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

Props to you. I am 24, and I love even people in their 70s going. Age shouldn't make a difference, as long as you have fun. I can tell you right now, if I have the funds, I will be going to anime cons the rest of my life.
TheDaMn1DThi3f
Expert Poster

Post by TheDaMn1DThi3f »

[quote=Misakochan]I cosplayed as Yoko this year and was a bit nervous about how people would act towards me outside of the convention and even possibly in. For the most part people were very respectful and kind, making me feel much more comfortable in the costume.

The only problem I had was with a stupid kid with a Pedobear mask. He asked to take a picture and then surprise groped me (reached around and grabbed my chest instead of the side hug he was pretending to go for).
I got away as soon as I could only to run into him again behind me in a crowded hallway. There he was with a friend and they were talking about grabbing my ass. So, I turned right around and told them to back off. As soon as they realized I had heard them and was not messing around they looked pretty scared and ran off. At that point my boyfriend was also nearby and heard them and chased them off as well.

The whole situation rather shook me, and I should have gone to security in retrospect. I was just a bit shocked that it even happened afterward and just wanted to get to the event we were on our way to.

Its just unfortunate that I expected the rudest reactions to my costume to be from non-congoers, but they were genuinely receptive and a couple tourists even took a few pictures with me or asked questions. Instead it was the convention kids that were completely out of line. [/quote]

What ajerk!
I'm so happy that you stood up for yourself!
^-^
2012 - Ceil Phantomhive
2011 - Ceil Phantomhive
2010 - Vault 101 Dweller
2009 - Prince Zuko
Ponyta
Expert Poster

Post by Ponyta »

The closest I came to rude cosplayers were people at the Saturday night dance. This one couple kept backing into me as they were dancing. I understand that everyone is packed like sardines, but if that's the case, then keep your dancing to a smaller space. Don't push me out of the way and into other people. It happened, like, four times in one night.
That, and I never realized how frustrating people starting circles on the dance floor can be. I don't mean to be a Debby-Downer, I just have a big problem when people shove me, especially into other people.
My only other problem was when my friends and I went to the edge of the dance floor to dance without getting pushed around. We find an open spot and start dancing when this guy comes over to us, gives us death glares, and is like, 'Are you fracking serious?'. We left, and if we took his spot or something sorry, but that was a pretty unnecessary reaction.
..except in bed.
Onipuck
Veteran Poster

Post by Onipuck »

Right, it looks like I bothered someone with my antics this year, and I'd like to apologize.

I'll admit that I'm the type of person who, when they get caught up in a manic flow, they have trouble picking up on how others are feeling.
So, if I cam off as creepy, I apologize.
Rox3l
Determined Poster

Post by Rox3l »

The only real problem I had this year was people who were obviously drunk/on something.

First time was during the Friday night dance I was in the elevator of the Marriott because I had to go back for something and this guy that was totally smashed gets right up in my face and starts trying to be, I guess it was flirty but it was just uncomfortable. I'm normally shy and have very low self esteem, so dunk guys in small spaces are not cool.

The second happened at the Sat dance. There was this guy that was in a long blue wig and red and white school girl outfit that was shoving his was past people and throwing himself around. I was wearing flip flops so he stepped on my feet twice and shoved me into some other people that were dancing near me as he was body checking people. If he had come by me again I was going to body check his ass to the floor.
AB'13: Riven (League of Legends)
AB'14: Queen Elinor (Brave)
AB'15: Female Twisted Fate (League of Legends)
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

For IDing, it sounds like a Konata from Lucky Star.
Bennigata
Expert Poster

Post by Bennigata »

I was guilty of some rudeness at con, and I want to apologize for it. During Masq, I was one of the people on the house left balcony, and when the Silent Movie skit was going, I was the one who audibly shouted "FAIL" at the beginning. It was because we couldn't see what was on the screen, so all we were seeing was mouth flaps from girls in skirts. It wasn't until it was out of my mouth that the higher brain functions kicked in and I realized "Dude, if I were on stage doing a skit, and I suddenly heard 'FAIL' ring out in the audience, I'd feel like sh*t! The heck is wrong with you?!" So, good job to the silent movie skit, we weren't rebelling against you, it was the cameraman who was messing it up for us. :(
ro_buddi
Expert Poster

Post by ro_buddi »

At least you can 'fess up to it. That at least makes it better, and the folks who were in the skit may read it and feel better.

On that note, why shout anything at all? This is me going to the Marco Polo hate.
ravenss
AB Alumni

Post by ravenss »

[quote=Yukito Kunisaki]
Also on the not of that Lady Gaga thing, I think I heard someone say it as I was leaving the Hynes and passing infront of the Dunkin Donuts right there. I agree, plain rude.[/quote]

I hope this wasn't you, but I complimented someone on a cosplay I honestly DID think was lady Gaga. If that was you, my appologies. I obviously didn't recognize the character and I wasn't being sarcastic.
Sarah Hodge-Wetherbe
AB Guest Relations Staff 2006-2007, 2011-2012
North American Guest Manager 2008
Guest Relations Director 2009, 2013-14
Not acceptable, library drone!
ravenss
AB Alumni

Post by ravenss »

[quote=LunarGoddess8886]I will never understand why cosplayers dress up.. it pisses me off how you ask to take a pic and they ignore you and walk away... and if they allow you to take a pic.. they cringe when you hug them... if you dont want to be hugged or have your picture taken PLEASE DO NOT COSPLAY you are no fun and people hate you! >=O[/quote]

There is never a situation where contact is mandatory. If you want to hug someone, ask, but if they say no that has nothing to do with their choice to cosplay or not.

Seriously, would you say to someone "Well if you don't want to get groped, don't dress in a short skirt?"

When I used to cosplay I did not hug people past my first year. I only needed one experiance of an unwanted grope to turn me off of them.

Cosplaying does not negate your right to have controll over your own body. And if anyone "Hates" me or anyone else for that fact, they are the ones with a rather large world-view problem not me.

This is akin to claiming a person "Deserves" to be sexualy asualted because of their clothing.
Sarah Hodge-Wetherbe
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

[quote=ravenss][quote=Yukito Kunisaki]
Also on the not of that Lady Gaga thing, I think I heard someone say it as I was leaving the Hynes and passing infront of the Dunkin Donuts right there. I agree, plain rude.[/quote]

I hope this wasn't you, but I complimented someone on a cosplay I honestly DID think was lady Gaga. If that was you, my appologies. I obviously didn't recognize the character and I wasn't being sarcastic.[/quote]

Oh, no, I mean, I was passing by and just randomly heard it. It wasn't me. I also believe I saw someone who really was Lady Gaga over the weekend too, but the shout out I heard definitely did sound like someone was making fun, but I don't know. I know the call out wasn't being directed to me though.
Goldfish221
Veteran Poster

Post by Goldfish221 »

[quote=ravenss][quote=LunarGoddess8886]I will never understand why cosplayers dress up.. it pisses me off how you ask to take a pic and they ignore you and walk away... and if they allow you to take a pic.. they cringe when you hug them... if you dont want to be hugged or have your picture taken PLEASE DO NOT COSPLAY you are no fun and people hate you! >=O[/quote]

There is never a situation where contact is mandatory. If you want to hug someone, ask, but if they say no that has nothing to do with their choice to cosplay or not.

Seriously, would you say to someone "Well if you don't want to get groped, don't dress in a short skirt?"

When I used to cosplay I did not hug people past my first year. I only needed one experiance of an unwanted grope to turn me off of them.

Cosplaying does not negate your right to have controll over your own body. And if anyone "Hates" me or anyone else for that fact, they are the ones with a rather large world-view problem not me.

This is akin to claiming a person "Deserves" to be sexualy asualted because of their clothing.[/quote]

Actually I do say that... :x But it's true, if you were a more revealing outfit there is a higher risk for the unwanted attention. (There is more to my point, but this is a whole other debate though)

I totally believe in the quote "There is a time and place"

I do agree with you though, I think it's a ridiculous mind set that if your in cosplay you should be huggable at all times. If someone randomly hugs me I tent to get angry, but that's because I hate being surprised.

Also what about the people that will go into a panic attack if touched by another person? I know people like that. Just because someone is in cosplay doesn't mean they are a doll to be played with. We cosplayers don't get paid for others enjoyment. :\ (If I was getting paid, hug me all you want :D)

Also on a side note, I hope I didn't ignore anyone at the con! I am terribly oblivious to people around me and my surroundings at cons >: Hence why I don't notice the rudeness as much as others. x.x Also I never can hear anything either unless someone is yelling in my face. xD
~Anime Boston 202 Cosplay Line Up~

(Subject to Change)
Jeanne D'arc Alter - Fate Grand Order
Lady Nagant - My Hero Academia
Penny - Pokemon Violet
Liliana Vess -Magic the Gathering
ravenss
AB Alumni

Post by ravenss »

[quote=Roxie]
Actually I do say that... :x But it's true, if you were a more revealing outfit there is a higher risk for the unwanted attention. [/quote]

Its a good point, but I stand by what I said. The way a person is dressed is not a free for all pass to touch them be it an unwanted hug or the extreme end, r-a-p-e. Thats not an excuse or a defense.
Last edited by ravenss on Tue May 03, 2011 3:22 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Because it wont let me post that word without dashes
Sarah Hodge-Wetherbe
Don Julio
Expert Poster

Post by Don Julio »

[quote=ravenss][quote=Roxie]
Actually I do say that... :x But it's true, if you were a more revealing outfit there is a higher risk for the unwanted attention. [/quote]

Its a good point, but I stand by what I said. The way a person is dressed is not a free for all pass to touch them be it an unwanted hug or the extreme end, r-a-p-e. Thats not an excuse or a defense.[/quote]

i get whats being said...its meant more as if you where a low cut shirt and really short skit...yea your gonna get attention from the guys you want but your also gonna get the attention of every other straight man as well so dont be upset when it happens
kumorin

Post by kumorin »

[quote=Spiritman1229]

i get whats being said...its meant more as if you where a low cut shirt and really short skit...yea your gonna get attention from the guys you want but your also gonna get the attention of every other straight man as well so dont be upset when it happens[/quote][/quote]

Most cosplayers expect and handle attention. There is, however, a *huge* difference between "attention" and "groping". Being a cosplayer at a con doesn't make you public property any more than wearing a bikini at a beach.
MerchMaven
AB Staff

Post by MerchMaven »

[quote=Spiritman1229]
i get whats being said...its meant more as if you where a low cut shirt and really short skit...yea your gonna get attention from the guys you want but your also gonna get the attention of every other straight man as well so dont be upset when it happens[/quote]

There is a difference between 'attention' and 'harassment.' From your comments, I'm not sure you know the difference.

Every person at Anime Boston, regardless of what he or she is wearing, is entitled to enjoy their experience without having to fear unwanted touching, comments, or harrassment of any sort. As long as they are adhering to our dress code and policies, they are not 'obligated' to hug, pose for photos, be polite, or put up with any unpleasant attention.

Just because someone's wearing a costume in public doesn't make them any less of a human being. Everyone needs to remember that; it's not the anime character, it's a human being that worked hard to make a great costume, and might not be having a great time that day. Cut them some slack and leave them alone. :)
Kerry Walker
Anime Boston Merch Manager, 2006-2019
Anime Boston Security, 2004-2006
ravenss
AB Alumni

Post by ravenss »

[quote=kumorin]
Most cosplayers expect and handle attention. There is, however, a *huge* difference between "attention" and "groping". Being a cosplayer at a con doesn't make you public property any more than wearing a bikini at a beach. [/quote]

Beautifully said. People can look and will look all they want. Thats fine. But there's a diffrence between looking (even oogling) and harrasement/groping.
Sarah Hodge-Wetherbe
yummy gamorah

Post by yummy gamorah »

[quote=snapelicious]I was guilty of some rudeness at con, and I want to apologize for it. During Masq, I was one of the people on the house left balcony, and when the Silent Movie skit was going, I was the one who audibly shouted "FAIL" at the beginning. It was because we couldn't see what was on the screen, so all we were seeing was mouth flaps from girls in skirts. It wasn't until it was out of my mouth that the higher brain functions kicked in and I realized "Dude, if I were on stage doing a skit, and I suddenly heard 'FAIL' ring out in the audience, I'd feel like sh*t! The heck is wrong with you?!" So, good job to the silent movie skit, we weren't rebelling against you, it was the cameraman who was messing it up for us. :([/quote]

Yea I was the one that wrote that skit. We did our best to communicate to the con what we needed but something got lost in translation. I'll be honest though, I have SEVERE stage fright it was everything I could do to get up there and the only reason i could tlak myself into was becuase I was so proud of the idea. When the crowd started yelling and we were on stage I definitly had a moment where I almost vomited up there. After the fact finding out the screens were the issue we knew not to take it to heart and a few days later seeing the video online I felt proud of the performance. It's on youtube and acparadise now if you were in the audience and couldnt see screens you might want to go check it out... it makes alot better sense when you see it with them.
Thanks for apologizing though, sorry you didnt get to see it the way it was intended.

As far as other con rudeness goes, we didnt hit too much of it. I had one guy look right at me and my wings and just walk through them one day which I found rude, but I have no idea how many people our group bumped trying to navigate the crowds. We tried our best but we were all bulky and clumsy and wearing awkward shoes.
We did have to turn down some con photos when we were late to things like judging or rehearsals with the con and I felt bad about that. :(

But then again I avoided the mall and tried to stay local to the hynes so I didnt have to run the gauntlet of non con attendees that others had to. O.o
BahamutKnight

Post by BahamutKnight »

This was my first time at Anime Boston and I didn't run into any rude cosplayers. I was ignored a few times when I asked for pictures but it's understandable (they must have been in a hurry to get to a panel or meet up with friends).

I feel sorry for you guys who had bad experiences.
Silvered Fox

Post by Silvered Fox »

[quote=Yummy Gamorah][quote=snapelicious]I was guilty of some rudeness at con, and I want to apologize for it. During Masq, I was one of the people on the house left balcony, and when the Silent Movie skit was going, I was the one who audibly shouted "FAIL" at the beginning. It was because we couldn't see what was on the screen, so all we were seeing was mouth flaps from girls in skirts. It wasn't until it was out of my mouth that the higher brain functions kicked in and I realized "Dude, if I were on stage doing a skit, and I suddenly heard 'FAIL' ring out in the audience, I'd feel like sh*t! The heck is wrong with you?!" So, good job to the silent movie skit, we weren't rebelling against you, it was the cameraman who was messing it up for us. :([/quote]

Yea I was the one that wrote that skit. We did our best to communicate to the con what we needed but something got lost in translation. I'll be honest though, I have SEVERE stage fright it was everything I could do to get up there and the only reason i could tlak myself into was becuase I was so proud of the idea. When the crowd started yelling and we were on stage I definitly had a moment where I almost vomited up there. After the fact finding out the screens were the issue we knew not to take it to heart and a few days later seeing the video online I felt proud of the performance. It's on youtube and acparadise now if you were in the audience and couldnt see screens you might want to go check it out... it makes alot better sense when you see it with them.
Thanks for apologizing though, sorry you didnt get to see it the way it was intended.

As far as other con rudeness goes, we didnt hit too much of it. I had one guy look right at me and my wings and just walk through them one day which I found rude, but I have no idea how many people our group bumped trying to navigate the crowds. We tried our best but we were all bulky and clumsy and wearing awkward shoes.
We did have to turn down some con photos when we were late to things like judging or rehearsals with the con and I felt bad about that. :(

But then again I avoided the mall and tried to stay local to the hynes so I didnt have to run the gauntlet of non con attendees that others had to. O.o
[/quote]

honestly yours was one of my favorite skits (what I saw) And I know I was on the verge of wanting to scream for them to fix the angles since from where I was we didn't get to see the screen at all (but you looked amazing!)

I of course kept quiet but The screaming DID cause the guy to re-angle the camera at the end so people got to see a little of the words ><;;

Sorry about your stage fright! It's terrible that you had to deal with that while on stage, but you guys were amazing, and I'm glad that you realized afterwards the screaming wasn't at you, it was at what was in the way of everyone watching your awesome skit ^.^ (we were frustrated because we liked it hehe)
Grumpy Growlithe

Post by Grumpy Growlithe »

I didn't have much of an issue with rude cosplayers... I had a few people tell me to leave the con and die in a fire... but what ever.
(I was the full suit Growlithe, so I'm not overly surprised at some reactions. But seriously, I'm just cosplaying... get over it)

However, my favorite rude cosplayer story... is more like CRAZY cosplayer.
It was my first AB and my friend, my mother and I went to get in line for the Masquerade. We easily found the end of the line and stood in our place, around the same time some girl and her boyfriend (?) were approaching the end of the line too, but we got there like a second before they did. This girl proceeds to complain about how we cut her in line, and how my mother in a terrible parent for not teaching her children manners. She then proclaimed that we cut all these people who were only just lining up. She continued to make rude and snide comments for the hour we waited in line... and even said... and I quote "If I had A.I.D.S. I would cut my wrists and drip drip drip blood all over their heads"

I get a good lol out of this story now... but seriously... wtf.
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

[quote=Grumpy Growlithe]I didn't have much of an issue with rude cosplayers... I had a few people tell me to leave the con and die in a fire... but what ever.
(I was the full suit Growlithe, so I'm not overly surprised at some reactions. But seriously, I'm just cosplaying... get over it)

However, my favorite rude cosplayer story... is more like CRAZY cosplayer.
It was my first AB and my friend, my mother and I went to get in line for the Masquerade. We easily found the end of the line and stood in our place, around the same time some girl and her boyfriend (?) were approaching the end of the line too, but we got there like a second before they did. This girl proceeds to complain about how we cut her in line, and how my mother in a terrible parent for not teaching her children manners. She then proclaimed that we cut all these people who were only just lining up. She continued to make rude and snide comments for the hour we waited in line... and even said... and I quote "If I had A.I.D.S. I would cut my wrists and drip drip drip blood all over their heads"

I get a good lol out of this story now... but seriously... wtf.[/quote]

Didn't know the loony house let patients out for Anime Boston.
Grumpy Growlithe

Post by Grumpy Growlithe »

[quote=Yukito Kunisaki]
Didn't know the loony house let patients out for Anime Boston. [/quote]

Ha ha, seriously. It was ridiculous!
derangedQ

Post by derangedQ »

So, first off I just want to say that we need to stop victim-blaming on this thread. People have the right to dress how they want and not feel like they're going to get attacked. Do you agree with cops or other officials who say that a girl was "asking for it" when she gets r-a-p-e-d when she goes out to a night club? No. End of discussion.

Second, I'd also like to apologize for being rude at AB this year, I was highly stressed from competing in the Burlesque Expo and participating in Cosplay Burlesque in the same weekend. I also have some anxiety issues and panic disorders that are triggered by enclosed spaces, crowds, and creepers (no really, abuse survivor).

I think the only rude things that happened to me over the weekend were people taking pictures without asking (it happened all weekend, my ass was in plain view so people took advantage of it -.-), one girl asking me for a picture while I was on the phone (She later apologized!), and people trying to snag elevators from those of us who were waiting there first. You learned about waiting your turn back in kindergarten!

Though I totally hate when people clog up hallways or rooms for pictures. I'm that person who shouts "HALLWAY!" when you do it, you're clogging up the already-crowded con center/hotel/mall. Stop it! I'll carry around a rolled up newspaper next year, I swear!