What did you NOT like about AB2010??

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2010.
Dorothy2
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Dorothy2 »

[quote=Kristi][quote=Princess-Meru]Aside from all the obnoxious shouting, the mean mall security, and the psychotic panel planning (It ruined my planning when they didn't inform us that the dance was pushed back - I could have watched the whole masquerade! I had great seats!), I was mainly bothered by the date.

It was on Passover and Easter! I know other people have said this, but as a person who observes Passover, this made going to a convention very difficult (I pulled it off in 2005, but I wasn't anxious to do it again). People who observe Easter are forced to lose a day in order to spend time with families, and our con steps on the toes of people who pray there. People who celebrate passover have to carry their food with them and have to work much harder at planning, especially if they're staying at the hotel. My brother and I had to coordinate meals and one of us had to carry around a cooler all day!

And I looked at the date for next year, and it's on both holidays AGAIN! I know it's cheaper and I respect how hard it is to reserve a date, but REALLY? I know this is just me, but I could live with fewer guests if it meant going to Anime Boston without feeling preoccupied with that.[/quote]

Yes, this! I totally understand that how the dates are reserved years ahead of time but maybe in the future you could attempt/try to schedule it not on Easter/Passover/some holy holiday. I know some of my friends' parents don't let them go on Friday and Sunday because of Good Friday and Easter. (these people being my only mode of transportation, though besides that going back to the parent thing, they want to go all 3 days but are restricted.)[/quote]

I agree... and i am not even religious. It made me feel bad when i saw the people coming out of the chapel and having to wade though disrespectful con-attendees.

Also, in regards to Nobuo Uematsu, yes he is amazingly awesome but i attended his panel on sunday and i was disgusted when i heard that some obnoxious fans followed him into the bathroom and were trying to take pics of him. you guys are what gives anime fans a bad name. have some respect.
Yammark
Determined Poster

Post by Yammark »

[quote=Dostovei Illuminas]The way the Nobuo Uematsu autograph session was handled on Saturday was awful. I've already ranted at length to a friend of mine on staff and I filled out a complaint form at the con, so I won't go into detail here. But suffice to say that it was quite vexing.
"Buttscratcher" still amuses me though. >.>[/quote]

Didnt like The Nobou Uematsu thing SAT either... I heard that Friday he did a whole bunch of music, F*ck Saturday, The questions weren't even that good!!! (didnt get to ask mine GRR)

I yelled buttscratcher a few times, here and then, the response was epic!
Yamma!
Fetch
Show-off

Post by Fetch »

[quote=FromZeroToHero]I can live with over priced shirts, I can deal with the added tax on clothes, but not a single vendor had Akatsuki hoodies? Why doesn't anyone have these things?

Also there should be ages on badges so we can all avoid "unnecessary awkwardness" when mingling lol[/quote]

Tax on clothes? There is NO tax on clothes in MA.

Ages on badges? Nah. Some of us prefer that the world NOT know that we are past 30.
kiarrens
The Lone Mod

Post by kiarrens »

[quote=Fetch]
Ages on badges? Nah. Some of us prefer that the world NOT know that we are past 30.[/quote]
A simple color bar to indicate "under 18" would work, I think that is what the OP was referring to.
Lyndsey Luther
Masquerade Coordinator 2015 - 2022
Assistant Director of Programming - Cosplay Division 2019
Assistant Masquerade Coordinator 2013 - 2014
Cosplay Chess Coordinator 2009 -2014
Attendee 2003 - 2009

The Anime Boston Masquerade Staff Creed: "It's our job to panic so you don't have to."
Syagria
Obsessed Poster

Post by Syagria »

[quote=Fetch][quote=FromZeroToHero]I can live with over priced shirts, I can deal with the added tax on clothes...[/quote]

Tax on clothes? There is NO tax on clothes in MA.[/quote]

Correction: There *shouldn't* be tax charged on clothes in MA (at least, on individual items costing less than $175). However, that's not going to stop an unscrupulous dealer from attempting to get a few extra bucks by charging tax and assuming that most people won't pay sufficient attention enough to catch it or complain about it.
Anime Boston Cosplays:
14: Death
13: Wonder Woman, Kitsune
12: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Wonder Woman
11: Kyoshi Warrior Suki, Princess Eries Aston
10: Princess Eries Aston, Zatanna
09: Hermes (1st Place Intermediate), Lotis Master Alice Seno
08: Haruhara Haruko, Sumomo, Lotis Master Alice Seno
07: Haruhara Haruko, R. Dorothy Wayneright
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

No, but I did inform security there were available seats in the back when they were discussing letting people in. I was up and about because I can't sit for very long without stretching my knee, it's very difficult and painful. I think you may have noticed me because of that.
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

Con centers aren't cheap. We get a good deal if we have it on Easter or Memorial Day weekend because of the holiday. Add to that things in Boston are booked way in advance, that's all that's usually available.

We do well for an Easter event, and remember we don't just cater to Christians. If we can pull 17k on Easter/Passover with an 11% increase, I'm happy with that. People need to decide what their priority is. For some, they can go to the con and attend a service in the area.

Sakura-con also does their con on Easter, in fact I believe they ALWAYS do, and they do fine too.

MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

My only complaint was how the masquerade was run this year. Don't get me wrong, I like the ticketing system and can totally understand why they have that but they didn't even COLLECT them to prevent people from just lining up anyway or at least, I didn't see them collect the tickets.
Also, getting tickets was ridiculous because once the dealers room opened, people cut their places in line and ran for the doors regardless of whether or not they wanted tickets or what not so by the time we got to the front of the line, there was three lines and the poor staff was running around not sure who to give the tickets to next. They did their best on helping everyone but I think next year they should maybe start the ticketing earlier like BEFORE the dealer room opens and keep it closed until the line for the masquerade tickets are done being handed out. I think this would make things easier for everyone and prevent the 3 lines thing from happening.
I also didn't like how they had reserved seating for half of the middle section of the floor. My fiance and I need disability seating since she's visually disabled and we were disappointed to see that we were forced to sit so far back from the stage. Either that or sit on the sides of the stage where she probably still wouldn't be able to see because of the odd angles. Is there really no way we could've been seated closer? We're only 2 people...is it really that big a deal if you put two people up where they can actually see?
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
FunnyHorsey

Post by FunnyHorsey »

People yelling "the game" or "Marco Polo" was annoying.

I laughed when I heard someone yell "MARCO" and no one responded so the same person shouted "POLO" too, though.
Skanking_Pickle
Expert Poster

Post by Skanking_Pickle »

[quote=Eilonnwy]Con centers aren't cheap. We get a good deal if we have it on Easter or Memorial Day weekend because of the holiday. Add to that things in Boston are booked way in advance, that's all that's usually available.

We do well for an Easter event, and remember we don't just cater to Christians. If we can pull 17k on Easter/Passover with an 11% increase, I'm happy with that. People need to decide what their priority is. For some, they can go to the con and attend a service in the area.

Sakura-con also does their con on Easter, in fact I believe they ALWAYS do, and they do fine too.

[/quote]

Priorities? This is incredibly rude, anyone can be both a devout christian OR jew (because apparently they're not worshipping either as you said cater to christians) I may not be religious but I am still expected to see my family or else have my head ripped off by my mother, I don't think anyone here wants to challenge a mothers wrath. And my friend has a religious italian family who has a lot of traditions you can't follow from going to a random service in the area. So basically you have said, either skip out on your religion or skip out on your hobby/interest/favorite thing in the world (however you may put it). Forcing people to choose is unfair.

[quote=Syagria]
I can understand your frustration and disappointment on this. I'm certainly not going to tell you that you shouldn't feel that way, but on the other hand, I would like to offer up something by way of perspective. An AB 3-day pass is, at its most expensive (at the door), $50. This is an AMAZING deal - just over $15/day!! By contrast, Dragon*con's *cheapest* 4-day pass rate is $20/day, or $80. If you buy your pass at the door, it is $100, or $25/day. Otakon 2010 is now $75 at the door for a 3-day pass (which is, like Dragon*Con, $25/day), and the cheaper pre-reg rate is $65, which is still $15 more than AB's top price. I know it's pretty small consolation, but paying $50/day for the first two days of AB doesn't make it an expensive badge to purchase - it only pulls the relative registration rate per day up to the same level as two of the other biggest cons on the East coast. Any way you slice it, AB has done an amazing job keeping registration costs manageable and low for the attendees.[/quote]

I bought it when the price for prereg was 45 dollars and yes I know you can get it at a cheaper price but there was a time when we thought AB wasn't going to happen for us so I didn't buy them until close to last minute. I'm a college student, I work hard for the money and I hate throwing it away. I will save food from take out even if there is only five fries left. Money is NOT something I like to compromise ESPECIALLY with this awful economy. Especially since I had to purchase not only MY ticket but my boyfriends because his college tuition is really putting him in a bad financial spot and I didn't want him to miss out. I also purchased my friends only because she is not 18 and can't do it herself. She is going to pay me back hopefully soon.
Cosplay.com page- BlondieSundae
Deviantart- SkullsAndStripes
Cosplay Tumblr- The Cosplay Compendium
Skanking_Pickle
Expert Poster

Last edited by Skanking_Pickle on Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:39 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: simpler to put it all in one post
Team Magikarp
Expert Poster

Post by Team Magikarp »

I heard that lol
Team Magikarp
Expert Poster

Post by Team Magikarp »

Hmm lets see.. "THE GAME" I swear I was going to splash the next person I heard it from ...but of course it would have done nothing.
MerchMaven
AB Staff

Post by MerchMaven »

[quote=AnythingButFine]

Priorities? This is incredibly rude, anyone can be both a devout christian OR jew (because apparently they're not worshipping either as you said cater to christians) I may not be religious but I am still expected to see my family or else have my head ripped off by my mother, I don't think anyone here wants to challenge a mothers wrath. And my friend has a religious italian family who has a lot of traditions you can't follow from going to a random service in the area. So basically you have said, either skip out on your religion or skip out on your hobby/interest/favorite thing in the world (however you may put it). Forcing people to choose is unfair.
[/quote]

If the most unfair thing in your life is that you have too many things you love, then I'm glad for you. :)

But having religious or family commitments are possible for anyone, on any given day. I am sorry that you have to make that choice, but the dates for the next few years, at least, are set. They are unlikely to change.

So while your objection is noted, it will not change anything, not for at least a few years, because breaking our contracts now would likely do the con a lot of damage.
Kerry Walker
Anime Boston Merch Manager, 2006-2019
Anime Boston Security, 2004-2006
Overlord of Anime
Expert Poster

Post by Overlord of Anime »

I thought the game room wasnt as good as it wasnt in years past. Also, the ticket system was annoying. Lastly, the formal ball that they had sucked and it took up to much time, therefore i became pissed off that i wasnt able to get into the dance as early as i thought i would.
AB06: Maiden Voyage
AB07: Pocky guy
AB08: Gaara
AB09: Japanaman
AB10: Rex Raptor
AB11: That guy who was always in the elevator
AB13: Smooth Criminal
AB14: Pool's Closed
AB15: Pink Floyd
AB16: Pink Floyd
AB17: Stink Patrol Commander
AB18: Stink Patrol Commander
ShinkuNoKitsune
Expert Poster

Post by ShinkuNoKitsune »

People blocking the entrances/hallways to take pictures. Escpecially in the Arists' Alley, those rows are only so wide. Moving to the side would be appreciated. Either that, or ask the cosplayer about a scheduled photoshoot.

Really big unnecessary props. Especially if they're being carried around by 5+ people in a group and everyone in the group has one.

"The Game" and "Marco Polo" of course. We heard enough of those back in 2008, maybe even 2007.

Inappropriate language/cosplay/fan service/poses/etc. There are kids at the con too, make sure to respect them and their parents.

People who pressed every button in the hotel elevators. People had places to be and didn't have time to wait for the elevator to stop at every floor before before it got back to your floor.

Similar to above, people riding the elevators because they were just bored. Either "elevator dances" or people playing cards. Find a better place to do it. You're not being funny, you're being inconvenient.
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

[quote=AnythingButFine]

[/quote]

So everything in life that conflicts with your religious or familial obligations should be moved? My intention is not be rude, but to point out that if your priority is religious services and family traditions, then that takes precedence over a convention. For other people they can balance their religious obligations with church services on Sunday, or leave early on Sunday to visit family, and for others it's not an issue.

If we stopped growing when we had AB on Easter, and maybe declined, then there'd be something to consider. The fact is that's not the case, and considering the cost of convention centers it works in our favor.

Suggesting people have religious priorities and what not, is not insulting them. It's recognizing that as adults people have to make choices, as unfair as it may seem. We do not cater to Christians, Jews, Muslims or any other religion when we choose our dates, because we are not a religiously affiliated organization. We are an anime con, and people of all faiths or non-faith attend.

All of us have probably had a convention that conflicts with something in our lives. We're not intentionally trying to make it so people cannot come, but we have a certain criteria and window space for when we can have our convention, and unfortunately it tends to be Easter.
Kilgamayan
Veteran Poster

Post by Kilgamayan »

[quote=Eilonnwy]Con centers aren't cheap. We get a good deal if we have it on Easter or Memorial Day weekend because of the holiday. Add to that things in Boston are booked way in advance, that's all that's usually available.

Sakura-con also does their con on Easter, in fact I believe they ALWAYS do, and they do fine too.[/quote]

This disturbs me a bit, because the one booth I always go to in the Dealer's Den was completely declawed in terms of merch by SakuraCon. The stuff I'm looking for is rare to begin with, and to see one of maybe two booths I can rely on to have it send all of its stuff to Washington is very annoying (and that group - both the members in Boston and the members in Washington - also hated being split up). Based on the things I've talked about with them, I imagine this will happen every time the two coincide, because they place a higher priority on SakuraCon than AnimeBoston. Another reason for me to hope we don't get too many more Easter ABs.

If you don't mind my asking, what's the financial difference between booking Easter weekend and booking Memorial Day weekend? Booking the latter seems like it would avoid a lot of complaining about religious holidays and split-up Dealer's Den booths, and if the price difference is small-to-non-existent, all the better. (I know you guys are locked up through 2013, but perhaps this should be considered for 2014 and beyond.)
The Fabulous True Adminstrator of the New England Touhou Community

Touhou Project Lead Panelist: AnimeBoston '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17; AnimeUSA '10; Otakon '11, '14; Nan Desu Kan '14
Touhou Project Panelist: Otakon '10, '12, '14, '15, '16, '17; Genericon '11, Katsucon '11, '13, '14, '15, '16
Touhou Project Fangames Lead Panelist: Otakuthon '14
RosenKreuzStilette Lead Panelist: TouhouCon '15, AnimeBoston '16
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

I don't run or work ops, so I don't know the specific price difference, but I know there is one, and it's enough to keep us looking. Plus we run up against availability, that's also a key component. (And why 2008 was a disaster in terms of facilities. We couldn't get both the Hynes and the Sheraton on the same weekend which had an inevitable effect on reg)

I personally prefer Memorial Day, not because I'm religious but because of the work holiday on Monday to take a rest. But by then all the college kids are out so we seem to grow a little less on those years. I know we have a Memorial Day one in our future, I just don't remember which year. It's not next year.

Sakura-con was only 1k more than us this year, so hopefully some dealers will keep a bigger eye on us. I also know that con suffered terrible reg lines this year, so I wonder how that will effect them.

In any case, we do the best we can to put on a really good show. We understand Easter doesn't work for some, but often enough we just don't have a choice.
Experienced Poster

Post by 021210 »

[quote=tylerofmaine][quote=AmandaMaie]Oh and also, three dollars for a bottle of water is just awful when you are sweating to death in an excessively hot costume in April. How do they sleep at night. [/quote]

Very classy metal Anime Boston water bottles were being sold for 6 dollars apiece, and good old fashioned water fountains dispense H2O for free :)[/quote]

Except you sold out of them by noon on Saturday >_>
T I G G E R

Post by T I G G E R »

Like a lot of people, I thought "the game" was wicked annoying. "Marco polo" was fun on friday, but on saturday and sunday it got old, because people kept repeating it over and over again.

I thought the whole "buttscatcher" was hilarious.

The game room was horrible. Once people got to a video game, they didn't leave. I had to watch people play video games, because no one would give anyone a turn.

Other than that, I thought AB was great. I didn't mind the schedule changes, because I wasn't planning on going to any pannels anyway.
Kogarashi
I'm Special!

Post by Kogarashi »

[quote=SciFiGrl47][quote=AnythingButFine]

[/quote]

But having religious or family commitments are possible for anyone, on any given day. I am sorry that you have to make that choice, but the dates for the next few years, at least, are set. They are unlikely to change.[/quote]

This.

For me, it doesn't matter what weekend the con falls on. I always have church on Sunday, and don't sell on Sundays anyway (Alley artist), so I don't attend AB that day. To mitigate this issue, I make sure to preregister at the earliest chance, so I'm spending less on the day that I'm missing.

I agree that if someone has religious or family commitments that come up, whether it's a weekly thing or on specific holidays, they should be an adult and make priorities rather than complain about a con not catering to their particular demographic. I don't expect AB to rearrange its schedule just so I can spend Easter Sunday with my family. I arrange my own schedule so that I'm spending Easter with my family, while still attending the two longest days of the convention. It's worked out well so far for me.
PatrickD
AB Staff

Post by PatrickD »

[quote=Kilgamayan]This disturbs me a bit, because the one booth I always go to in the Dealer's Den was completely declawed in terms of merch by SakuraCon.[/quote]
[quote=Kilgamayan]If you don't mind my asking, what's the financial difference between booking Easter weekend and booking Memorial Day weekend?[/quote]
I just want to point out that if your complaint is that we are on the same weekend as Sakura-Con, going to Memorial Day weekend makes the issue worse!

Memorial Day is traditionally the weekend of Anime North, FanimeCon, and Animazement (among others). Anime North and FanimeCon are also two of the ten largest conventions in North America (in addition to Anime Boston and Sakura-Con). Animazement is also fairly large.
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
Marionette

Post by Marionette »

I was angry when one of the Anime Boston Convention Ghestapos told me to take my Souba back to my room. I had already gone through one whole day (and through Registration, and they looked at it too) with it, and they had okay'ed it. It was steel, I told them so, but it was blunt and peacebound. So for half of Saturday on I didn't get to carry it around with me. :(

Yes, yes...unlike some people who got stopped for weapons I followed the rules. T_T (Didn't want to get kicked out, after all.)
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

[quote=SciFiGrl47]As to the other major complaint here, until the merch dept gives in and buys Security their branded AB tasers, there's really no way to stop people from screaming overused, unfunny memes.[/quote]
Got any quotes on those yet? Because this is a purcahse i'd love to get behind.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
AliceTanzer
AB Staff

Post by AliceTanzer »

[quote=Marionette]I was angry when one of the Anime Boston Convention Ghestapos told me to take my Souba back to my room. I had already gone through one whole day (and through Registration, and they looked at it too) with it, and they had okay'ed it. It was steel, I told them so, but it was blunt and peacebound. So for half of Saturday on I didn't get to carry it around with me. :(

Yes, yes...unlike some people who got stopped for weapons I followed the rules. T_T (Didn't want to get kicked out, after all.)[/quote]
If you have a weapon that has been okayed by one of our Red Shirts, and someone gives you any trouble about it, please let the person giving you trouble know. If you can give them the name or description of the person that okayed it, even better! I think the only person that could ~overturn~ the okaying of a weapon would be Shamus and maybe the exec staff? I'm not 100% sure.

Also, Gestapo? Really? That's how you think of us? You know that there are only 300 of us UNPAID VOLUNTEERS for 17,000+ Attendees, right?
Alice Tanzer

'14 NEAS Board Member
'13 EAC
'12 '13 '14 Security
'07 '08 '09 '10 '11 Security(Overnight)
'06 Security
'04 Artist Alley Co-Manager

"She has a medical degree. In fashion. From France!"
Kaede
Expert Poster

Post by Kaede »

[quote=T I G G E R]
The game room was horrible. Once people got to a video game, they didn't leave. I had to watch people play video games, because no one would give anyone a turn.
[/quote]

Did you tell any of the staffs that they were just hogging it? I noticed not many people mentioned anything to us about these things hence nothing was done. If no one tells us anything then it's not our fault.

We set up a rule going if there is a line you must finish up and the next person plays. Next year we'll monitor that a lot more closely so everyone can enjoy.

Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

Registration does not OK weapons. They never have and never will. They are all instructed to send people with weapons to Security.

And Gestapo? Srsly? With all the drama about Hetalia you'd think some people would get a clue. We're unpaid volunteers, and the security does the best they can to be as consistent as possible with the weapons policy which is based on law and convention center policy.
Skanking_Pickle
Expert Poster

[quote=SciFiGrl47][quote=AnythingButFine]

[/quote]

If the most unfair thing in your life is that you have too many things you love, then I'm glad for you. :)

But having religious or family commitments are possible for anyone, on any given day. I am sorry that you have to make that choice, but the dates for the next few years, at least, are set. They are unlikely to change.

So while your objection is noted, it will not change anything, not for at least a few years, because breaking our contracts now would likely do the con a lot of damage.
[/quote]

Oh trust me there are many things in my life that are unfair besides this but I just hate making people choose things because I know what it's like. I have ALWAYS had to place my dancing and theatre careers (not really a career I'm sure you get it) over things I wanted to do. And true I love acting and dacing but some days I just wanted to have fun and go to things (I've missed so many concerts due to competitions and shows). And while I understand the fact AB cannot change these dates it is just harder for other people to say yes I am going to miss outon time with my family or time worshipping or whatever.

[quote=Eilonnwy][quote=AnythingButFine]

[/quote]

So everything in life that conflicts with your religious or familial obligations should be moved? My intention is not be rude, but to point out that if your priority is religious services and family traditions, then that takes precedence over a convention. For other people they can balance their religious obligations with church services on Sunday, or leave early on Sunday to visit family, and for others it's not an issue.

If we stopped growing when we had AB on Easter, and maybe declined, then there'd be something to consider. The fact is that's not the case, and considering the cost of convention centers it works in our favor.

Suggesting people have religious priorities and what not, is not insulting them. It's recognizing that as adults people have to make choices, as unfair as it may seem. We do not cater to Christians, Jews, Muslims or any other religion when we choose our dates, because we are not a religiously affiliated organization. We are an anime con, and people of all faiths or non-faith attend.

All of us have probably had a convention that conflicts with something in our lives. We're not intentionally trying to make it so people cannot come, but we have a certain criteria and window space for when we can have our convention, and unfortunately it tends to be Easter.
[/quote]

It is not so much a "want" for me than a "have to". I HAVE to see my family and while I don't mind it, easter is horridly boring for me. I can't participate in easter egg hunts anymore I'm 18. I don't talk much to the adults, I'm too young. Didn't help that I had NO desire to speak with my Aunt Jennifer all day.

But whatever, the point is moot now.
Kilgamayan
Veteran Poster

Post by Kilgamayan »

[quote=PatrickD][quote=Kilgamayan]This disturbs me a bit, because the one booth I always go to in the Dealer's Den was completely declawed in terms of merch by SakuraCon.[/quote]
[quote=Kilgamayan]If you don't mind my asking, what's the financial difference between booking Easter weekend and booking Memorial Day weekend?[/quote]
I just want to point out that if your complaint is that we are on the same weekend as Sakura-Con, going to Memorial Day weekend makes the issue worse!

Memorial Day is traditionally the weekend of Anime North, FanimeCon, and Animazement (among others). Anime North and FanimeCon are also two of the ten largest conventions in North America (in addition to Anime Boston and Sakura-Con). Animazement is also fairly large.[/quote]

I'll admit I was unaware of this, so the only real response I have is a selfish one. =P As far as I know, these guys place more emphasis on AB than any of those cons you mentioned, so they wouldn't impact my dealer's den experience.

(On an unrelated note, I find it a little bit weird that a Canadian con would specifically aim for a United States-specific national holiday weekend, as opposed to a Canadian national holiday weekend.)
The Fabulous True Adminstrator of the New England Touhou Community

Touhou Project Lead Panelist: AnimeBoston '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17; AnimeUSA '10; Otakon '11, '14; Nan Desu Kan '14
Touhou Project Panelist: Otakon '10, '12, '14, '15, '16, '17; Genericon '11, Katsucon '11, '13, '14, '15, '16
Touhou Project Fangames Lead Panelist: Otakuthon '14
RosenKreuzStilette Lead Panelist: TouhouCon '15, AnimeBoston '16
MerchMaven
AB Staff

Post by MerchMaven »

[quote=BasharOfTheAges][quote=SciFiGrl47]As to the other major complaint here, until the merch dept gives in and buys Security their branded AB tasers, there's really no way to stop people from screaming overused, unfunny memes.[/quote]
Got any quotes on those yet? Because this is a purcahse i'd love to get behind.[/quote]

Your brilliant, caustic wit is weapon enough, sir, I am terrified to think of what you would do with an actual, physical weapon.

As to selling out of the water bottles, I am sorry about that. I am both proud and embarrassed that they were gone that fast, and that I had to turn away so many people. Hopefully next year's design will be just as cool, and I'll be able to afford to buy more.
Kerry Walker
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

[quote=SciFiGrl47][quote=BasharOfTheAges][quote=SciFiGrl47]As to the other major complaint here, until the merch dept gives in and buys Security their branded AB tasers, there's really no way to stop people from screaming overused, unfunny memes.[/quote]
Got any quotes on those yet? Because this is a purcahse i'd love to get behind.[/quote]

Your brilliant, caustic wit is weapon enough, sir, I am terrified to think of what you would do with an actual, physical weapon.[/quote]
Oh, not for me, I have some security staff friends that have been itching for them. And they're actually legal in NH, unlike in MA. :D
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
TheNerdyFeminist
Veteran Poster

Post by TheNerdyFeminist »

about Easter: think about this, the con starts on Friday, which means that unless it's Good Friday, the majority of con-goers can't get to the con until at least mid-afternoon, later if they're coming from out of state. college students can skip classes, but high school students can't always skip school for a day.

also, it's not like the con goes through Sunday night. it ends on Sunday afternoon, and if you live close by that gives you time to go home in time for Easter dinner. and if you think about it, Sunday is kind of a meh day anyway, most of the main events and good panels are on Saturday. I missed Sunday my first year not because of Easter (though it might have been that weekend, I can't remember) but because I had homework. I didn't feel like I was missing too much. is missing Sunday really such a horrible thing?

now, I don't want to offend anyone but I need to voice my opinion on this, and feel free to disagree. one other thing I didn't like, waaaaay too many non-anime cosplays. I can't say all cosplay should be anime, some video game and internet cosplays are fine, but I saw some stretches. too many Disney princesses (Kingdom Hearts barely makes them relevant to the AB climate), way too many Star Wars characters (a few are fine and you can't hate on Chewie, but it got to be too much this year), characters from musicals, and characters from Tim Burton movies?

is this a Hot Topic expo or an anime convention?

if you're gonna do a cospay that's not anime, at least be somewhat relevant to nerd culture and try to be original. well, in general I think people need to think outside the box and think "will there be 20 other people doing the same thing?" before picking their costumes.

I know, I know "they can do whatever they want," "it's a free country," "but princesses are pretty!!!!1!!" etc. but I had to say something. again, a few non-anime cosplays are fine, I did it this year so I can't hate on it completely. one Jack Sparrow here, a Chewbacca there, a few characters from web-comics, that's fine. it's just getting a little out of hand.
MomoMiraculous
I'm Special!

Post by MomoMiraculous »

Umm...Star Wars is pretty appealing to the geekdom don't you think? Please Star Wars is classic nerd and while it is technically an anime convention, I still love seeing it. I personally thought the group/gang? of Mandolorians was cool to see and I can't hate on them. I don't think that should really matter. For the group of Mando's there was WAAAAAAY more anime/video game cosplays out there. If people want to cosplay someone from sci-fi, American comics, what have you, I don't see why that should matter...
Though I do admit, I tend to cosplay characters that aren't done that much even if its from a popular anime/video game. I think that question should be aimed at anime cosplayers too because really, do we need to see a ton of the same characaters from anime? No. I like seeing the lesser cosplayed ones.
2024 Cosplans (Subject to Change)

Rangiku - Bleach
Zenitsu - Demon Slayer
Marie - Splatoon
Tsunade- Naruto
Pidge- Voltron
takenogundam1

Post by takenogundam1 »

I have to agree! My girlfriend and I had plenty of time after the chess game to drive 45+ minutes back home and meet the fam for Easter dinner.

I generally liked AB with the exception of the two items I mentioned, so I hope after all the complaints in this thread, those who work hard to deliver AB to the screaming masses realize we do appreciate their dedication! ;)
AshHollaaaaaa

Post by AshHollaaaaaa »

the only thing i didnt like was the lack of free stuff i was expecting like ugly t shirts or something like that for free all i got were some buttons other than that killa con
zephyrnix
Experienced Poster

Post by zephyrnix »

[quote=AnythingButFine]
It is not so much a "want" for me than a "have to". I HAVE to see my family and while I don't mind it, easter is horridly boring for me. I can't participate in easter egg hunts anymore I'm 18. I don't talk much to the adults, I'm too young. Didn't help that I had NO desire to speak with my Aunt Jennifer all day.
[/quote]

This seems more like a personal problem rather than a problem with the convention. I'd suggest standing up to your parents, because if you're "such an adult", you shan't feel like you MUST spend Easter Sunday with your family. +shrug+

Regardless, I was impressed with AB this year. I didn't like the lack of things to do. The panels weren't interesting enough to keep me there and they were off-topic from what was in the description. The unnecessary shouting of stupid things throughout the three days ticked me off, and the lack of places to sit made things uncomfortable.

I DID like the hand sanitizer dispensers though. :]
Synaizen
Veteran Poster

Post by Synaizen »

The last topic debating why AnimeBoston is on Easter was locked, so let's not devolve into that and keep it to other things that wasn't nice about AnimeBoston.

And something I didn't like was how the volunteers handled the Masq line. Yes, I know it's hectic, yes, I know they're only 200 unpaid volunteers, but there was some blatant stuff going on. I was maybe 150 people back from the door, and kept leaving to get people food/water/shiny Eevee's from Artist Alley for my friends in line with me and had no trouble entering and re-leaving line. However, the girl next at me was forced to go to the back of line simply because she left to go to the bathroom while her friends held her spot. The same staff person didn't comment on me coming or going, but made that poor girl go to the end after leaving for a second.
troublemaiker
I'm Special!

Post by troublemaiker »

[quote=zephyrnix]
I DID like the hand sanitizer dispensers though. [/quote]

I did not like how by 2pm they were empty D:
When I saw them I thought it was fantastic and awesome, but every time I went to use one it was empty ;-;
I don't know if AB staff can asks Hynes staff to fill them more often or something, but it was great seeing them around ^^
Dorothy2

Post by Dorothy2 »

[quote=RebelArtemis]
now, I don't want to offend anyone but I need to voice my opinion on this, and feel free to disagree. one other thing I didn't like, waaaaay too many non-anime cosplays. I can't say all cosplay should be anime, some video game and internet cosplays are fine, but I saw some stretches. too many Disney princesses (Kingdom Hearts barely makes them relevant to the AB climate), way too many Star Wars characters (a few are fine and you can't hate on Chewie, but it got to be too much this year), characters from musicals, and characters from Tim Burton movies?

is this a Hot Topic expo or an anime convention?

if you're gonna do a cospay that's not anime, at least be somewhat relevant to nerd culture and try to be original. well, in general I think people need to think outside the box and think "will there be 20 other people doing the same thing?" before picking their costumes.

I know, I know "they can do whatever they want," "it's a free country," "but princesses are pretty!!!!1!!" etc. but I had to say something. again, a few non-anime cosplays are fine, I did it this year so I can't hate on it completely. one Jack Sparrow here, a Chewbacca there, a few characters from web-comics, that's fine. it's just getting a little out of hand.[/quote]

I just going to go out there a little, and say that there are sooooo many star wars video games that it does sort of count...but i do agree with you for the most part. Have some ORIGINALITY people. 100 hetalia cosplayers, last two years was deathnote, bleach the year prior. you don't have to go as the new trend...especially if you want people to see the effort you put into your costume, no one will notice your costume if you are just one of the many.
ZenErik
Veteran Poster

Post by ZenErik »

Indeed. But if it's their favorite new show, then why not? Sometimes people just want to fit in, and that's okay.

Personally, I will stick to cosplays that I will likely be the only one. Although I wouldn't mind if there were a few others cosplaying the same character, I would rather not be one of 20 - 30+.
Lawliet
Veteran Poster

Post by Lawliet »

buttscratcher was annoying, i got enough of it from one kid in my college who lives on the same floor as me, the things that I didn't like about AB was a lack of losing the game (not enough people were playing), a lack of marco polo (there was great participation on friday but saturday and sunday you were lucky if you got 15 responses), and a lack of caramelldansen
Skanking_Pickle
Expert Poster

[quote=zephyrnix][quote=AnythingButFine]
[/quote]

This seems more like a personal problem rather than a problem with the convention. I'd suggest standing up to your parents, because if you're "such an adult", you shan't feel like you MUST spend Easter Sunday with your family. +shrug+

Regardless, I was impressed with AB this year. I didn't like the lack of things to do. The panels weren't interesting enough to keep me there and they were off-topic from what was in the description. The unnecessary shouting of stupid things throughout the three days ticked me off, and the lack of places to sit made things uncomfortable.

I DID like the hand sanitizer dispensers though. :][/quote]

Firstly, I never said I was "such an adult" I don't know what you were quoting, secondly who's helping me pay for school? OH RIGHT =) I'm still 18 and while most would consider that an adult, my mother is still very....motherly. SHe probably won't let me do whatever the hell I want until I'm 21.

FYI I was trying to be the bigger person and drop the issue, but if you ant to keep harping on it be my guest.

[quote=Synaizen]The last topic debating why AnimeBoston is on Easter was locked, so let's not devolve into that and keep it to other things that wasn't nice about AnimeBoston.

And something I didn't like was how the volunteers handled the Masq line. Yes, I know it's hectic, yes, I know they're only 200 unpaid volunteers, but there was some blatant stuff going on. I was maybe 150 people back from the door, and kept leaving to get people food/water/shiny Eevee's from Artist Alley for my friends in line with me and had no trouble entering and re-leaving line. However, the girl next at me was forced to go to the back of line simply because she left to go to the bathroom while her friends held her spot. The same staff person didn't comment on me coming or going, but made that poor girl go to the end after leaving for a second.[/quote]

I was trying to drop it, I mean it was just an opinion but apparently my post about easter was too easy to comment on. As opposed to the other billion and six...*shrug*
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

I think we've all discussed the Easter topic enough. Please move on from it.
Skanking_Pickle
Expert Poster

[quote=Eilonnwy]I think we've all discussed the Easter topic enough. Please move on from it.[/quote]

I have, the last thing though was rather uncalled for an aimed at me directly, not the topic. That is why I addressed it. I stated awhile back the topic is dead now.
Doxie

Post by Doxie »

IN response to what AnythingButFine said~~~
"I may not be religious but I am still expected to see my family or else have my head ripped off by my mother, I don't think anyone here wants to challenge a mothers wrath."

LOL I totally understand. I'm 25 years old and no matter how old I am it is expected of me to spend time with my family that weekend no matter what my beliefs are about Easter or Passover. It may sound stupid, but it's like disowning my family if I even thought about not seeing my mum Easter LOL. I don't want to start more Easter/Passover debate, but I totally agree with you.

As far as everything else goes, I'm really pleased with the fact I wasn't the only one with problems this year. I understand that some of these problems are AB un-related but I think that the common concept of what "Anime Boston" is has to reevaluated. AB is NOT just an event, Con, "Corporation" or whatever you may think of it. It's an experience for the true Anime-luver at heart. It spans out of the halls of the Con and into the mall and food courts and even on to the streets of Boston. If during that weekend you feel displeased with something IN or AROUND AB then it ruins the AB experience.

That being said. NO, AB is not responsible for Panda Express, the Dealers, Security, or hotels. BUT does the directors of AB really want me to walk away feeling I've have been cheated and treated rudely while attending the Con? AB is a service, and I am a customer. Customer Service sometimes involves going above and beyond the call of duty. Yeah you don't have to please everyone, that would be insane to ask, but respect and kindness goes a long way.
MerchMaven
AB Staff

Post by MerchMaven »

Warning two, addressed at everyone, no one being singled out: Please feel free to discuss what you didn't like about AB, and what you think we, as staff, can improve, but the Easter topic is done.

Any further discussion of it, and we'll lock this thread and start a fresh one! Thanks guys!
Kerry Walker
Anime Freak 1234
Veteran Poster

Post by Anime Freak 1234 »

i was one of the original people to yell it!!! i am proud that i helped start it
PatrickD
AB Staff

Post by PatrickD »

[quote=Anime Freak 1234]i was one of the original people to yell it!!! i am proud that i helped start it[/quote]
Yeah, you can stop now. Thanks.
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
President Aria
Veteran Poster

Post by President Aria »

Indeed, memes are really not needed. Perhaps I was always in the right areas, but the two years I attended Anime Expo I don't recall hearing any obnoxious memes like the Marco Polo thing. Granted this was in 2006 and 2008, so maybe the meme thing hadn't gained enough steam yet. About the only repeated thing going on then was the Haruhi dance, and as long as it's not being done in a hallway and blocking traffic, I don't mind people dancing. Sure would be interesting if people would try a meme-free con sometime.

As for the lack of originality or lack of anime appropriateness in costumes, I agree there's a lot of that. But, it's to be expected I guess. Fans are always going to generally go with the newest thing. Of course, it has the effect of making me be a lot more particular about which ones I pay attention to and ask for pictures of. If you're gonna dress like 50 other people, you better be the best one out there and better have put in the time to get all the little details of your costume right. Saw a lot of lazy Miku cosplay this year, which was disappointing. At least there are less L's running around. That's just lazy cosplay in general right there.