What did you NOT like about AB2010??

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2010.
Doxie
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Doxie »

I don't really ever have many complaints about Anime Boston but this year a few things kinda bothered me. I know some of the things where unrelated to AB and the AB had no control over them but it was still annoying none the less.

1. the dealers room. I know AB can't tell dealers what to sell but where was all the Miyazaki stuff! There where a few $50 Totoro plushies, a hoodie and a handful of cell phone charms.

2.WTF! with the tax on clothes! I went to buy a Totoro hoodie. $40. The lady said with tax it was 42 somthing. I told her there was no clothing tax. She asked another lady and she said they where taxing everything. I know it was only $2 but it was pure principle.

3.Artist Combat Cards. Some artist gave them away while others charged for them. From what I understood the whole ACC thingy was to bring more business to the Artist Alley. So here is an artist advertising their products to me and I have to be charged for an ad?!

4.Panda Express. I only mention this because I am sure many hungry Con goers went there. This year, and the year before, Panda Express gave me more food than I asked for. The result they get to charge me extra for something I didn't even want.

I realize most of this is pretty petty but I just had to get it off my chest. I really tried to enjoy Anime Boston this year but things just kept coming up that I didn't agree with, and not just the stuff I mentioned above. So my question is, no matter how silly you think it is, what did you NOT like about Anime Boston?
ZenErik
Veteran Poster

Post by ZenErik »

What didn't I like? Well, some of the panels were not well run, but that's to be expected.

"Marco Polo" was annoying, as usual. And even more annoying was "butt scratcher". I heard that enough at Otakon last year. It wasn't funny then and isn't funny now.
Dostovei Illuminas
Experienced Poster

Post by Dostovei Illuminas »

The way the Nobuo Uematsu autograph session was handled on Saturday was awful. I've already ranted at length to a friend of mine on staff and I filled out a complaint form at the con, so I won't go into detail here. But suffice to say that it was quite vexing.

"Marco Polo" was also annoying as hell (I was the guy yelling "SHUT UP!" whenever people did it too much). "Buttscratcher" still amuses me though. >.>
Doxie

Post by Doxie »

OMG yes! Fri. and Sat. where "Marco Polo" but Sun. all I heard was "Butt Scratcher"
Doxie

Post by Doxie »

I didn't stand in line for any autographs but they did look kinda bad. I thought the swap meet was run poorly. It was just WAY to over filled.
Dostovei Illuminas
Experienced Poster

While we're on the subject of annoying con memes, add "The Game" in there. I gave a hale and hearty "F**k The Game and f**k you" to every person mentioning it that I ran into. It's old and stupid people, let it die already.
ZenErik
Veteran Poster

Post by ZenErik »

[quote=Dostovei Illuminas]While we're on the subject of annoying con memes, add "The Game" in there. I gave a hale and hearty "F**k The Game and f**k you" to every person mentioning it that I ran into. It's old and stupid people, let it die already.[/quote]
I agree with this too.

Maybe it's just because I'm an old man compared to most at the convention. I'll have to bring a walker next time and shake my angry old man fist.
DrakaDark
Veteran Poster

Post by DrakaDark »

To many main events over lapping each other.

Aside from that everything else was fine. The panels I went to where organized. The dealers room had great shops and pricing wasn't to bad. Their will always be items that are expensive. Some do to rarity.

Artist Combat Cards - some artist made and printed there own and also made different kinds. They are allowed to charge. It is their right.

Massachusetts taxes everything but food. Unless its cooked and hot, then theirs a meals tax. Certain food courts at malls have higher priced do to location.

There will always be some kind of saying that will be taken over board at any con. This year was mostly the "Marco Polo", and "Poke Walkers". There is will be another one next year.
Doxie

Post by Doxie »

also...the cake is a lie and the great debate of it not being a lie..... it makes me die a little inside LOL
Doxie

Post by Doxie »

OK I just wanna say this so everyone know their right when it comes to taxes. There is MA tax (of 6.5%) on everything BUT Food, clothing and things to make clothing. That means fabric, yarn and even sewing thread is NON-Tax. Though there is a tax on fast food and other restaurants.
ZenErik
Veteran Poster

Post by ZenErik »

I work in retail (sadly). It's actually 6.25% for most things but 7% for food from a cafe, restaurant, etc.
Doxie

Post by Doxie »

I worked in retail too (until like 3 months ago) I thought it was 6.25 instead of 6.5 but close enough right ;) it was just the point no tax on clothes is the rest of everything else I buy not enough LOL.

And maybe your right about the age thing. I'm 25 now and maybe I'm just turning bitter LOL
DrakaDark
Veteran Poster

Post by DrakaDark »

when u go shopping for clothing like at Sears or what ever there is tax. You also have to take into consideration certain stores by items in bulk at cheap prices so they can then bulk up the price so that they can make a profit. I also know for a fact that pretty much any Totoro plushies or any plushies from Miyazaki earlier works are hard to come buy because they are not being made are expensive. Then there just some places that just over charge. You usually have to walk around and double check the prices at the other dearlers.

I also work in retail and food for the last 6 or so years. So I do know what am talking about.

But over all I think the pricing in the dealers room was very exceptionable. I f something sounds ridiculously over priced just don't buy it.
Doxie

Post by Doxie »

I wasn't complaining about prices I was complaining mostly about the fact there was no verity. And as far as taxes go I won't argue. You think what you think and I'll think what I think. No need to care. This was just a thread about dislikes because NOTHING can be perfect.
ZenErik
Veteran Poster

Post by ZenErik »

I hardly ever buy posters, figures, or any other anime things besides DVDs and some manga.

So, within the field of what I do buy, I noticed that the Funimation booth had AWFUL prices. Maybe because it was run by FYE, but I didn't see any good deals. All the other dealers with anime DVDs seemed pretty reasonable, especially Section 23/neo-ADV.
Xiren
Dedicated Poster

Post by Xiren »

All the Germany cosplayers from Hetalia giving the Nazi salute on passover outside the Pru during their photoshoot wasn't very likeable...

Just sayin.
Doxie

Post by Doxie »

OK I sooo did not see a Nazi salute. That is horriable
Doxie

Post by Doxie »

You deffinatle have to shop around. I bought a xxxholic body pillow this year and I paid $30 while everyone else I saw selling them was atleast 35 if not 45
Xiren
Dedicated Poster

Post by Xiren »

there was a thread about it on 4chan, apparently. I'm not sure if it's still there.
SpectacleG

Post by SpectacleG »

Like the others the constant Marco Polo and Buttscratcher jokes got annoying quick. The Game I can live without but it wasn't so bad until you had people running around with signs blatantly making you lose (that's not how The Game works <_<).

The autograph line for Nobou on Sunday was even worse I believe. I missed Saturday because my ride didn't wake up til 11 am (I was staying in Hyde Park with some friends) so I figured Sunday would be ok if I showed up early enough. Sure enough, I got there Sunday and missed out on tickets somehow two hours ahead of time (I thought lines weren't "official" until half an hour beforehand?) and then was told there were too many people on line already. When I inquired as to how, I was told a lot of people from SATURDAY got tickets for SUNDAY beforehand and they accounted for half the line while the ones from today accounted for the other half anyone hoping to get in line after that was out of luck. I realize this was a way to make up for the poor line management I heard about on Saturday but still...
Doxie

Post by Doxie »

I didn't notice the lines this year for registration. Which I usually do since... what was it the notorius line of "08? I pre-reg now and pick up on Thurs. I'm lucky enough to live right outside Boston. Plus I work only a 5 min walk from the Con. But what you went through does sound kinda silly to have to deal with.
SlAyErPaTh
Dedicated Poster

Post by SlAyErPaTh »

Two words: GAMING ROOM
SpectacleG

Post by SpectacleG »

Well remember, mine was just for the Nobou autograph signing. Registration this year was amazingly fast. The last time I came to AB was in 2007. It was on a whim as a couple of my newer friends, whom I had met on another forum, were working Security and wanted to meet me.I was in line for three bloody hours that year waiting for a badge. So yes, the registration lines this year being cut down to about 20-30 minutes was amazing.

@SlayerPath, Oh dear gods yes. The video game hall was a disaster this year. I remember in 2007 when it was in the hotel and open 24 hours. Back then there were a boatload of consoles and more than just one generation. I saw only Gamecubes, a Jaguar, and an NES in terms of older generation consoles this year...where was the N64 or SNES? Not to mention the fact that controller hogging was abundant this year. I waited for about 30 minutes to play one song on Rock Band because one group hogged the system for about 5 songs while everyone else complained.
Byoon
Experienced Poster

Post by Byoon »

What Didn't I like?

Well, both the groups i was going to hang out with pretty much ditched me so i was alone most of the time making it a lonely and boring experience

plus after the 50th "BUTTSCRTACHER" "MARCO! POLO!" I was pretty fed up..

some of the panels weren't well prepared

the constant changing of schedules each day. I understand that there might be a few updates after each day but c'mon... i went into the con at around 12 and at 2:00 i heard they changed things up again =/

3 hours waiting? In 07'i waited 7 to get in.. -.-
Doxie

Post by Doxie »

Ya I pretty much don't go to a lot of the panels for that reason. It wasn't this year but last year I tired to go to a few and the people in charge where so all over the place I was basically just sitting there for 15 mins doing nothing.
TarouSatomi
I'm new!

Post by TarouSatomi »

Regarding the tax issues:
The sales tax is charged on clothing that costs more than $175.00. Only the amount over $175.00 is taxed. So suits, wedding dresses, tuxedos, all are going to get hit with a tax. But a hoody or the like should not have been taxed. Retailers at the con should really know the tax scheme in Massachusetts... it is not a lot to ask.
Doxie

Post by Doxie »

Thank You! What bothered me most was that I pointed it out. That happened the first year I went and I pointed that out so they didn't charge me Tax. I know it's stupid but it bothered me. I wouldn't have gotten the hoodie had it not been the only Totoro hoodie in the entire Con.
Mok

Post by Mok »

[quote=ZenErik]"Marco Polo" was annoying, as usual. And even more annoying was "butt scratcher". I heard that enough at Otakon last year. It wasn't funny then and isn't funny now.[/quote]
Indeed, which is why whenever I heard it being yelled this year, I replied with "RI-CO-LAAA". I was drowned out, but it felt satisfying.
SpectacleG

Post by SpectacleG »

The Zombie Survival Panel run by my crew of about six people was almost improvised. Apparently CLAMP canceled at the last minute leading to AB Staff asking my buddy Gerry if he could do the Zombie Survival panel he signed us up for. They asked us at 5:30 pm on Saturday. They wanted us to take the open spot at 7 pm on Saturday. We had no prep going into it nor did we have a laptop prepared for our Powerpoint that we show at every panel. Myself and my buddy AJ had to run around shouting at the top of our lungs to get people to come while the other two in our group currently at the con organized anyone from our panel troupe that was already in the area and/or at the con.

Half an hour before we were to go on, we had almost decided to wing it when a girl in a steampunk outfit generously donated her laptop for our use in the panel. We thought our troubles over until we realized she left it with us without her password, and she had only taken our contact number without leaving hers. We managed to find her with 15 minutes to spare and got the laptop going. After that...well anyone who went to our panel can tell you the rest. We actually did pretty well according to them.
TheNerdyFeminist
Veteran Poster

Post by TheNerdyFeminist »

the stupid pokewalkers >_> it took my group forever to go anywhere because of those stupid things. not cool when I'm hungry and the damn pokewalker nonsense is delaying my food-getting.

also, it's been said before, but overlapping events suck. nothing the con could really help, though it would have been nice if the formal was on Friday. in general, I've learned that having to choose which events to attend is just part of going to a convention.
SlAyErPaTh
Dedicated Poster

Post by SlAyErPaTh »

[quote=SpectacleG]The Zombie Survival Panel run by my crew of about six people was almost improvised. Apparently CLAMP canceled at the last minute leading to AB Staff asking my buddy Gerry if he could do the Zombie Survival panel he signed us up for. They asked us at 5:30 pm on Saturday. They wanted us to take the open spot at 7 pm on Saturday. We had no prep going into it nor did we have a laptop prepared for our Powerpoint that we show at every panel. Myself and my buddy AJ had to run around shouting at the top of our lungs to get people to come while the other two in our group currently at the con organized anyone from our panel troupe that was already in the area and/or at the con.

Half an hour before we were to go on, we had almost decided to wing it when a girl in a steampunk outfit generously donated her laptop for our use in the panel. We thought our troubles over until we realized she left it with us without her password, and she had only taken our contact number without leaving hers. We managed to find her with 15 minutes to spare and got the laptop going. After that...well anyone who went to our panel can tell you the rest. We actually did pretty well according to them.[/quote]
Sir, we rewarded all the effort you did with a Zombie Rock-Out tribute to you and your crew lol.
AliceTanzer
AB Staff

Post by AliceTanzer »

[quote=Mok][quote=ZenErik]"Marco Polo" was annoying, as usual. And even more annoying was "butt scratcher". I heard that enough at Otakon last year. It wasn't funny then and isn't funny now.[/quote]
Indeed, which is why whenever I heard it being yelled this year, I replied with "RI-CO-LAAA". I was drowned out, but it felt satisfying.[/quote]
I few of us on staff would mumble "Amerigo Vespucci" amongst ourselves, but realized that if we were to yell it it would just catch on and be as annoying.
Alice Tanzer

'14 NEAS Board Member
'13 EAC
'12 '13 '14 Security
'07 '08 '09 '10 '11 Security(Overnight)
'06 Security
'04 Artist Alley Co-Manager

"She has a medical degree. In fashion. From France!"
Doxie

Post by Doxie »

yeah, I didn't understand MYM being on Sunday. I hated that it fell on Easter anyways but by Sunday (Easter included) a lot of people had thinned out. I think MYM( and Reni Reni) would have had more people there to see her if it where another day
thewhimsywizard
AB Alumni

Post by thewhimsywizard »

Uhm the game is in fact getting way past old, and everytime my friend shouted it, I glared at him and said no. I also did the same thing everytime he yelled butt scratcher, as it was amusing the first few times, not so much the 50th time.

I didn't like the schedule changes, as I am a forgetful person so I tend to forget to pick up the newer ones, so I missed the Lolita panel because I was looking at the one I got on Fri when I came :3

I wasn't to upset about the autographs, because I infact got one on Sunday ~ Sorry >_<
Kara (Kai) Marston
Creative Technical Staff
PockyPham
Experienced Poster

Post by PockyPham »

[quote=Dostovei Illuminas]
"Marco Polo" was also annoying as hell (I was the guy yelling "SHUT UP!" whenever people did it too much). >.>[/quote]
^lol. Seriously, this.
Zeath
Veteran Poster

Post by Zeath »

The Karaoke room had a lot of problems this year. Between their computers failing, projectors not working or getting broken, mics messing up, and the people running it forgetting to put sound cords in after the song started it was a little annoying. It wasn't too bad and I did enjoy myself, but that does need to get fixed so more people can get to sing and they can start their compititons on time.
Past AB cosplays:
Cho Hakkai, Sha Gojyo, Kakashi, Fox McCloud, Kyoya Ootori, Light Yagami, Snow Villiers, Hisagi Shuuhei, Sosuke Aizen
Planned cosplays:
Albert Wesker (Resident Evil 1)
Miroku (Inuyasha)
Sans (Undertale)
TsukiNoShinobi

Post by TsukiNoShinobi »

The game, as usual, was annoying. My friend said it to practically every con person she saw and I was just like, "Shut the f- up already, you're starting to piss me off." That got old two years ago, and it doesn't help that just about everyone one of my friends say it whenever they see each other (which is probably why I get annoyed with them so often; I'm at school, it's annoying enough as is and I do not need your stupid "Game" nonsense)

Dealer's Room and AA prices annoyed me a bit; I don't really want to pay $15 for an 8.5x11 or $2 for a tiny button, and $125 for a Nendoroid? But everyone is just trying to make some money, and I do admit I bought a lot of art this year, but some things I really wanted to buy but didn't want to bleed my poor wallet (I ended up buying lots of small things rather than a few large things).

Overlapping events was kinda meh. I didn't like having to wait in line for the Saturday night dance, and I ended up leaving a half hour into it because I was feeling really claustrophobic with the flood of people who all went in at once.

Other than that, nothing really bothered me all that much (well, nothing that was anyone's fault, just stuff that couldn't be helped). I was surprisingly satisfied by the end of AB this year.
pettruchio
Determined Poster

Post by pettruchio »

I "lost" my wallet to a cashier at the Hynes Convention Center who conveniently gave it back to me four hours later, after taking the $100 in cash. While I was grateful to get my ids back, I was very upset that she would take my money because I had canceled my credit cards and I was stuck without any money at all. Thank God my friends lent me some to pay for gas to get home.

You would think the people working at the con center would be a little more honest.

The other horrible event (not con related but still) was I lost my sewing machine when changing hotels Friday morning. I wasn't able to stay in Boston long enough to call the taxi service to get it back. This was devastating and between the two made the con less enjoyable....even though it wasn't the fault of AB at all!!
Dostovei Illuminas
Experienced Poster

[quote=SpectacleG]The autograph line for Nobou on Sunday was even worse I believe. I missed Saturday because my ride didn't wake up til 11 am (I was staying in Hyde Park with some friends) so I figured Sunday would be ok if I showed up early enough. Sure enough, I got there Sunday and missed out on tickets somehow two hours ahead of time (I thought lines weren't "official" until half an hour beforehand?) and then was told there were too many people on line already. When I inquired as to how, I was told a lot of people from SATURDAY got tickets for SUNDAY beforehand and they accounted for half the line while the ones from today accounted for the other half anyone hoping to get in line after that was out of luck. I realize this was a way to make up for the poor line management I heard about on Saturday but still...[/quote]

Yeah, I said I wouldn't rant since I'd already done enough of that, but basically Saturday was a complete and absolute clusterf**k as far as line management. A ton of people got screwed out of favorable places in line because the "no lining up until 30 minutes prior" rule (which is pretty much completely unenforceable) was poorly implemented and the crowd was not controlled in anything resembling a sensible manner. Long story short, a ton of people got screwed, myself included. But thankfully after a lot of swearing and an entire handwritten page of complaint form, one of the staffers gave me a ticket for the Sunday session. All those people on Sunday who had tickets? They were the ones that wouldn't have been there if they'd been given those tickets at 8:00 AM on Saturday when they first showed up instead of being shooed away by security and then losing out on their spot at the front of the Saturday line.
eidna
Determined Poster

Post by eidna »

[quote=Dostovei Illuminas]While we're on the subject of annoying con memes, add "The Game" in there. I gave a hale and hearty "F**k The Game and f**k you" to every person mentioning it that I ran into. It's old and stupid people, let it die already.[/quote]

Not to mention that informing people every 5 seconds that they Tom Selleck'ed it up..."Doing it wrong" is all I can really say.
AB 2013: 7000 cosplay ideas I'll probably not finish
AB 2012: Normal person :O
AB 2011: Konata Izumi cosplaying Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2010: Cop-out catgirl
AB 2009: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2008: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2007: Suigintou
AB 2006: Chii
AB 2004: Chii
maxx
Experienced Poster

Post by maxx »

people need to learn the difference between breakdancing and what isnt. i got harrassed by security multiple times for just dancing, kept saying i was breakdancing when i never was. also yelled at me for dance circles which i never formed in the first place...other people form the circles me and my friends just dance.
takenogundam1

Post by takenogundam1 »

I had a few complaints:

1. The Live Gaming Room.....for God sake AB, get someone else to help run it! There was no organization, and it seemed like everyone in charge resented being there. I brought a ton of Warhammer 40K to use and NO ONE played. The people from the hobby store that set up the small booth were less than useful and very rude.

2. I HATE Marco Polo and The Game....I can live with Butt Scratcher.

3. My biggest issue: The Mall security. One guard had the balls to yell at people "Whats wrong with you? Can't you see there's a Mass going on? They don't want to see you weirdos in their windows" All the AB goers were doing was taking pictures. Who the hell puts a Catholic Church in a mall....take your religion elsewhere...ass
Sanctjud
AB Alumni

Post by Sanctjud »

I don't know, 40K seems sort of out of place even with a B. Templar costume walking around :D

I was thinking of bringing some 40K, but it'll just take up 2 hours I could have been doing something else...the oppurtunity cost is pretty big there.

Hell, if you are still in the area maybe we can work out a game at Pandimonium Thursday nights :D

Masquerade
FORMAL BALL
Informal Ball

All on the same night. Now I know why the Formal Ball was moved to Saturday (VGO related) and so was sort of unavoidable...but damn. It was a hard choice to make.

The scheduling did sort of cascade them so people could go to all 3, but it would feel unfulfilling, at least for me.

I personally look forward to the Formal Ball first every year.
This year it seemed like (but not really I guess) we were rushed out of the ballroom...the informal dance was blasting away beside the ballroom and a giant line was forming outside with increasingly impatient con goers.
Andrew Lee
Formal Ball Staff 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018!
I highly suggest volunteering for Anime Boston! ^_^
Shinden
Veteran Poster

Post by Shinden »

The courtyard being closed... (´;ω;`)

Tax was sucky. I hate Massachussetts.

"Marco Polo" was done right last year and at AAC in Nashua. If it goes on once every 10 minutes, that's okay. But this year, We had

Mook: "MARCO!"
Crowd: "POLO!"
two others: "MARCO!"
one other "MARCO!"
again another "MARCO!"
Randomly dispersed, "POLO"

Doing it wrong is when someone else screams it expecting a reaction TWO OR LESS SECONDS AFTER the real Marco Polo ended. Did anyone hear me scream "I HAVE NEVER SEEN SO MUCH BLOOOOOD!" afterwards? Because they're killing it.

Game room depressed me.

Panels: could do a little better. Loved the organisation though.

2012: I, Otaku
2013: off
2014: An Introduction to Kill La Kill
2015: Beyond Honnouji
2016: Japanophile's Guide to Boston, Nippon wo Mamore
2017: All About the Imperial Family
2018: Contrasts of Tezuka
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

[quote=takenogundam1]
3. My biggest issue: The Mall security. One guard had the balls to yell at people "Whats wrong with you? Can't you see there's a Mass going on? They don't want to see you weirdos in their windows" All the AB goers were doing was taking pictures. Who the hell puts a Catholic Church in a mall....take your religion elsewhere...ass[/quote]

Whether or not you agree with the religion, it does not give you the right to interrupt or distract people at their religious services. I've seen churches at all different locations, just because it's in a mall does not give you the right to be disrespectful. People have a right to worship, and Sunday was Easter. I would hope our attendees would be far more respectful and understanding. Our convention does not supersede other events going on in the area, including religious services.
Nemra
AB Asst Director

Post by Nemra »

[quote=Eilonnwy][quote=takenogundam1]
3. My biggest issue: The Mall security. One guard had the balls to yell at people "Whats wrong with you? Can't you see there's a Mass going on? They don't want to see you weirdos in their windows" All the AB goers were doing was taking pictures. Who the hell puts a Catholic Church in a mall....take your religion elsewhere...ass[/quote]

Whether or not you agree with the religion, it does not give you the right to interrupt or distract people at their religious services. I've seen churches at all different locations, just because it's in a mall does not give you the right to be disrespectful. People have a right to worship, and Sunday was Easter. I would hope our attendees would be far more respectful and understanding. Our convention does not supersede other events going on in the area, including religious services.
[/quote]

^^this

also, although he shouldn't have really said that if that is an exact quotation, the location is actually quite awesome for it if you think about it.

plenty of hotels connected to it, and literally next to the convention center where many people go year round. It's actually quite convenient to some people.
Nabil Samuel

Assistant Director of PR

Kree

Post by Kree »

All the big events were overlapping each other, and because of that I felt like I didn't get to do as much this year. D:

Also the cosplay court case was kinda boring :/ but there were parts i really enjoyed.

Other than that I had a great time :D
Galliana
I'm new!

Post by Galliana »

Thre are several things I don't like about Anime Boston. I have been every year since it started, and have seen the same problems increase.

1) NOT ENOUGH PANELS
No, don't tell me to make my own if I don't think there is enough.

For a convention that has grown from 5000 (when the Park Plaza reached capacity) to what, 20000 plus this year? The paneling has increased at a dismal rate. Has it even increased at all? There's never anything to do.

2) The Karaoke has gotten WORSE with every passing year.

Every year the technical problems are TERRIBLE. Is it really so difficult to put mp3's in a winamp cue, and click play when the person is on stage? Print the lyrics ahead of time? The wait is already horrible due to the number of people, and the constant technical difficulties make it slow and ridiculous. There is plenty of time to get the next 20 people set up while one or two sing.

The volunteers are wonderful people, but maybe they should petition those who run AB to purchase a laptop dedicated to Karaoke. Worse comes to worse, plug the speaker cable into someone's mp3 player. I remember the days when I BROUGHT MY OWN CD and things went smoother.

Another option would be to open a second room, so that more people got the chance to sing, at least during the rather long competitions. I suppose space may be an issue in this case though, as well as needing more volunteer staff.

3) Panels are poorly run and not really about what their titles claim.

I don't go to ALL the panels, but when I go to a panel called "The future of FMA fandom" I expect discussion about the current state of the fandom, why people still enjoy the show even though it is several years old, not randon trivia on overheads.

Probably It's because I'm "old" (zomg 30!) and expect more, but then, many of the people running panels are younger than I am. And more obsessed than I EVER was about ANY anime I loved.

4.) Not something specific to AB, more annoyance at the content of the dealer's room.

For the past 3 years the merchandise hasn't changed AT ALL. I know bleach, naruto, and death note are very popular, but there is a lot of other anime out there and ZERO merchandise for it.

I understand that dealers can't stock, everything from less popular and obscure shows, I just find it depressing. I am full-time employed with a decent income, I HAVE money to burn (in small doses) but it stays in my bank account anyway, because there is nothing I really want. I was a big FMA fan 5 years ago, bleach about 3. Not anymore. Give me something new.
oj_drinker

Post by oj_drinker »

[quote=Doxie]
1. the dealers room. I know AB can't tell dealers what to sell but where was all the Miyazaki stuff! There where a few $50 Totoro plushies, a hoodie and a handful of cell phone charms.[/quote]

I've noticed over the past few years that AB dealers generally only bring merchandise related to current, massively popular shows. So if you want a button or wallet emblazoned with characters from the hit show of the moment you're golden, but if you want something that's unrelated to Axis Powers Hetalia, Full Metal Alchemist, Soul Eater, Ouran High School Host Club, Bleach, Naruto, Death Note, or the like, you're outta luck. There's also a paucity of video game merchandise other than the Final Fantasy/Kingdom Hearts figurines and Mario plushies that show up every year.

Space in the Dealers' Room is limited, and of course vendors would rather bring stuff they think is likely to sell than spend money and effort on schlepping a variety of items that might not sell. I don't blame them for not catering to me, a niche customer, but my forays into the Dealers' Room in recent years have been disappointing. As a fan of classic, older, or obscure anime, I'm clearly not their target audience, so I've resorted to buying stuff online.

[quote=ZenErik]
"Marco Polo" was annoying, as usual. And even more annoying was "butt scratcher". I heard that enough at Otakon last year. It wasn't funny then and isn't funny now.[/quote]

I hate "butt scratcher"! It really grated on my nerves at Otakon. Why can't it die?

[quote=Doxie]
So my question is, no matter how silly you think it is, what did you NOT like about Anime Boston? [/quote]

As someone else put it in another thread, the WALL O' BASS in the Friday night AMV Contest screening. Maybe I'm getting old, but based on my experiences at PAX East and AB, I guess I should bring earplugs with me to every con now. Don't people want to keep their hearing?
Shadow
Veteran Poster

Post by Shadow »

I hated that, as per usual, Smash Bros was hogged in the game room. Even worse, as per usual, everyone was bound by the silly, and rather stupid, player-made rules.
Seriously people, there are other maps besides Final Destination. And I know someone's gonna spout "It's the most fair blah blah blah".
Smash Bros ain't about being fair, its about being whacky and fun. People need to stop trying to turn it into a serious game -_-