Jenova how can i improve her?

This forum is for sharing photos, videos, reports, and finding people from Anime Boston 2010.
Suna Sato
Veteran Poster

Post by Suna Sato »

Im sure if you went to Anime boston you saw me.. I don't have any pics atm but i am going to remake her for next year.

Some people picked me up right away others thought i was from some hentai or the fifth element or a smurf...SERIOUSLY A SMURF?!!?!?

So im hoping to hear from you guys what i can o to look better for next year. I will be investing in a full body suit having to paint myself was overly time consuming.... I also will be resigning my umbilical cord into something smaller and more flexible so people wont mistake it for some AHEM..... unmentionable things...

So nows your time to let me have it... how can i improve Jenova?

If you cant think of any improvements just lemmie know what you thought over all i spent quiet a long while on it and since people enjoyed it so much im ready to do it again!
Of Course im Jenova again this year! Join me my children the year of the Jenovas Witness begins!!!!
reiji_kiryu
Getting the hang of this...

Post by reiji_kiryu »

Oh man, I seriously can't think of a thing. I don't get how anyone who's played FFVII (AKA a significant portion of AB attendees) couldn't appreciate your costume.

Your outfit was delightfully creepy, and I congratulate thee.
Suna Sato
Veteran Poster

Post by Suna Sato »

Thank you so much im glad you appericate my work! I'm going to improve her again but not for a while...
Of Course im Jenova again this year! Join me my children the year of the Jenovas Witness begins!!!!
Marionette

Post by Marionette »

Squee! Jenova! Your adoring son here!

I thought you were absolutely fabulous, the attention to detail was amazing. I think my only suggestion would be something that the con employees may not approve of necessarily.

In the CG images of Jenova she has some kind of (for lack of a better term) "cap" detailing over the nipple.

What also would be neat is if you were able to get the "wing" like attributes attached to the body suit, or as some kind of harness. (and have the intestinal googlies hang down from those.) Another image

There is my ten cents though. I thought you were lovely. I hope you hang out with you sometime again!

-Marionette/Kadaj
Suna Sato
Veteran Poster

Post by Suna Sato »

i had the wings but the train was like eff you wre takingthose if you wanna ride so i lost thm.... im gonnatry to stay in boston for the con or something im not sure the hotel was very rude for us
Ugly Bob
Veteran Poster

Post by Ugly Bob »

Hey, Oliver Surpless here.

Too bad I didn't see you, as I would've loved some pics+footage for my video segments on cosplayers. I did see one Jenova, but I don't think it was you, as she was shorter, coming out of the Ballroom A on Saturday around 2:30 pm or so. Plus I know you are fairly tall, as I saw you as Aerith again (with a unique twist!) on Friday.

Bad Hotel experiences seem to follow you around. I was one of the few people who knew about Haunting Ground at Bakuretsucon in Oct 2009 and you told about the staff threatening you in your Left 4 Dead Witch costume.

I also relate your stories as a consummate cosplayer (taking showers every day etc) to every lazy cosplayer I meet (which is a lot).

I hope to see you at future cons (going to be at Connecticon, Bakucon, AAC, and possibly others) so as to get some shots of the most professional cosplaying I've ever seen!
Suna Sato
Veteran Poster

Post by Suna Sato »

lol gla you recognize me i was jenova coming out of ballroom a i was the only Jenova at the con!
Ugly Bob
Veteran Poster

Post by Ugly Bob »

gosh darn it.

You must not have heard me when I asked if you were Aerith on Friday. It was kind of loud.

Either that, or you ignored me. People tend to do that as well...
Franquita
Experienced Poster

Post by Franquita »

Is this your costume? Link I'm going to assume so since I'm pretty sure there weren't any other Jenovas.

Right off the bat I have to give you props for attempting this costume. It looks pretty difficult.

However, I must say that it looks a little simple right now. With only the hair, helmet thing and red tube as clues, it's understandable that people got confused.

If you want to improve this costume, you're going to have to put a lot of work into it.

The, er, nipple things are definitely a must as they are very prominent on her body. There also seem to be some vein-like designs on her bust which should also be included, perhaps with fabric paint on your leotard.

Right now the wig looks pretty smooth and unstyled. In the photos it's a bit more stringy - lots and lots of hairspray will help you out. I would also attempt adding the floating strands of hair that seem to be coming out of her helmet (referring to the pics an earlier poster sent). For that I might suggest getting extra wefts of that color hair, making a skeleton of wire and perhaps fabric or something over that, and pasting that hair onto those. Again, a lot of work, but if you want improvement...

I think the "wings" and other tentacle-like thingies coming out of her body will help make you more recognizable as well. Those could be abstracted a bit as little cape-like things.

Mostly, I think you need the big panel on your helmet that says "JENOVA." That would make it very clear.

Try looking at other cosplayers and figuring out what they did. This particular one seems to have used a lot more loose wires instead of the large red tube, and it seems pretty successful. Unfortunately I think you're one of few Jenova cosplayers, so you don't have a whole lot of reference material.

I think you could make this a great costume if you really worked at it. There are plenty of resources on the cosplay.com forums for different craft methods - you're more likely to get more responses there, as well!

Good luck!
Suna Sato
Veteran Poster

Post by Suna Sato »

i agree completely thanks for the advice i will show lots more pictures as i work on them! I'll keep upating thanks!
Gr1m_Reaper

Post by Gr1m_Reaper »

Yeah I saw your cosplay this year, and I thought it was a pretty good attempt at Jenova and was amused by seeing it... I tried to chase you for a picture but you seemed to be on the move and my friends were moving in opposite directions :p

I agree with your worry with the large umbilical cord, it can be better expressed with smaller tubes or wires...

As far as adding things go, you have a lot of options seeing as Jenova as a whole figure throughout the game isn't 100% visible and thus not 100% "set in stone" on what must be in the cosplay for it to look legitimate.

So basically you have to put your own spin on the extra attachments to the costumes and detailings... A personal interpretation rather than a hardcore "to-scale" costume design (again not enough visual information for it to be that exact)

But what would I suggest as a modification? hmmm...

Well lets consider the facts, for Jenova to be walking around as you displayed, she would've had to break out of that stasis chamber. The umbilical cord was a clever idea as one part of breaking out of that jar, but when I think back to the famous scene of sephiroth ripping her out I see A LOT of connections, pipes and wires... many of those seem to originate at the head and mask, shoulders and back.

And if I am remembering correctly the tubes seemed to fan out like wings from the front and away from her and her back.

Yeah! That does kinda sound cool right? A mask and wings of pipes and wire?

The above would be the coolest suggestion I could come up with ;)
Ficus
AB Staff

Post by Ficus »

I :thumbup: the body suit idea. You really did cover yourself in paint, but after a while, it started coming off around the edges. And when you first showed up, no one could touch you since the facepaint was still wet.
Overall, I liked the cosplay though. Sorry you got kidnapped.
Ashley Shaffer
Cosplay Gatherings and Photosets Staff- 2024
Suna Sato
Veteran Poster

Post by Suna Sato »

youll see me again next year i have already started on it if you ant updates on how its looking lemmie know enough people and ill make a thread about it in the masq page! Thanks for the pic i remember that one being taken it was one of the first ones!
Suna Sato
Veteran Poster

Post by Suna Sato »

So im sure you all saw Jenova again this year... Shes gonna be seen next year too as you all saw with foreshadowing oncei find a pic ill put it up for Referances. I took alot of peoples advice but shes still not done.. I want her to be Flawless next year! So how can i improve her for AB 2012?
Faceman
AB Executive

Post by Faceman »

Please make a new thread in the 2011 Memories forum for feedback relevant to this year.
Chris O'Connell
Director of Public Relations

Have a question? Private Message or Email me!