Formal Ball, Dress Code?!?!?

This forum covers Anime Boston events that don't fit in the above forums, such as the charity auction, game shows, dances, and karaoke.
kuroki
Determined Poster

Post by kuroki »

I would like an explanation for the lax on the dress code, AGAIN, this year. I am very frustrated with whomever was working the doors for the dance.

I have a friend, who checked her outfit with the coordinator of this event, and was told that she could not wear her Military style costume because of the 'inappropriate' boots. Which we were accepting of, considering the dress code for this event is black-tie. But to my surprise, I counted at least SIX dress codes violations at this event. One of which was barely an semi-formal outfit. I saw three pairs of converse, two pairs of trainers, flip flops, Large wings. Skirts that barely went past the waist, and jeans.

Not surprisingly, I was pissed. Considering, she was quite upset that she could not attend.

So please, help me to understand, how these garments were allowed in when hers was not? Should I have just not even bothered to inquire kindly before hand, and brought her strait to the event instead? She probably could have had a much more enjoyable evening.
Captain Fuzzy
Determined Poster

Post by Captain Fuzzy »

I know what you mean, i forgot my shirt and tie, so i was running around the streets of boston trying to find a cheap replacement. I was kind of annoyed when i got there and they were letting people in with basic costumes, not even formal versions.
Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

[quote=kuroki]I would like an explanation for the lax on the dress code, AGAIN, this year. I am very frustrated with whomever was working the doors for the dance.

I have a friend, who checked her outfit with the coordinator of this event, and was told that she could not wear her Military style costume because of the 'inappropriate' boots. Which we were accepting of, considering the dress code for this event is black-tie. But to my surprise, I counted at least SIX dress codes violations at this event. One of which was barely an semi-formal outfit. I saw three pairs of converse, two pairs of trainers, flip flops, Large wings. Skirts that barely went past the waist, and jeans.

Not surprisingly, I was pissed. Considering, she was quite upset that she could not attend.

So please, help me to understand, how these garments were allowed in when hers was not? Should I have just not even bothered to inquire kindly before hand, and brought her strait to the event instead? She probably could have had a much more enjoyable evening.[/quote]

About half way through the dance we let our over worked security, who were needed else where, leave. So towards the end of the dance people trickled in that may have been a little below dress code. With regards to wings, they are allowed if they are small enough to not be a hazard. Her wings were fine. As far as jeans, the only people I saw in jeans were the tech staffers working the event.

All in all 6 dress code violations for a 500 person event is a pretty good ratio. We also only had to turn away 5 people for dress code violations at the door. Over all it seems like people really “got it” this year, which makes me really happy. :-)

Hope McChesney
Assistant Director of Programming/ Formal Ball Co-Chair
kuroki
Determined Poster

Post by kuroki »

[quote=Hopallee]
About half way through the dance we let our over worked security, who were needed else where, leave. So towards the end of the dance people trickled in that may have been a little below dress code. With regards to wings, they are allowed if they are small enough to not be a hazard. Her wings were fine. As far as jeans, the only people I saw in jeans were the tech staffers working the event.

All in all 6 dress code violations for a 500 person event is a pretty good ratio. We also only had to turn away 5 people for dress code violations at the door. Over all it seems like people really “got it” this year, which makes me really happy. :-)

[/quote]

First off, I'm not sure how many people actually attended the event. But I do not think that I saw 500 people go through the room. That being said, six dress code violations is enough to warrant a complaint, considering, I saw two of the violations let in by event staff, NOT security. Also, as for the wings, she may have been let in, since her wings were small, but they still posed a hazard, I for one was bashed into by them three times.

I can understand letting your tired staff leave, but should that mean that anyone can enter the dance, when you turned away others? I don't think this is an appropriate way to run your event. I will NEVER be coming back, which is very sad, considering I had a great time this year.
theorangecat
AB Staff

Post by theorangecat »

I let in a few people who were inappropriately dressed. They were tech staff who were not informed that they were needed at the ball and therefore did not have formal clothing. However, since they were needed to help us run the event, they were allowed in. Another pair who weren't dressed up were writing a piece about the ball for the Con Chowder and didn't stay long because they felt bad about coming in when they weren't dressed up.

I apologize that people were disappointed because of those who were not in dress code, but in those cases, it was unavoidable. Please don't let that ruin your opinion of the ball, especially if you had a good time.
Jaimee K

'12 - '24 - Live Video Production
'11 - Junior Tech Staff
'07 - '10 - Formal Dance Staff
NSilverwolf
AB Staff

Post by NSilverwolf »

I was one of those staffers dressed in inappropriate attire at the ball (jeans, sneakers, a fleece and my radio from tech ops). We had not expected to need to have staff from tech in the room and did not have anyone scheduled (though they were needed).

I am also one of only three staffers who know how to use a specific piece of equipment in that room to operate the video screens. The other two staffers (neither of which had formal attire either) were occupied with the show going on in Main Events.

I asked one of the members of the special projects staff to watch the equipment with me in the beginning of the ball. I returned at the end of the event so that he could attend the one event he wanted to get to all weekend (the AMV screening where his video was playing in non-competition staff).

The other staffers in the room were also there without prior knowledge that they would need to have formal attire.

If they had not been there you would not have had any of the beautiful lighting on the walls and ceiling, the ability for the coordinators to speak on microphones and the screens announcing what dance was happening next.

I apologize that my attire apparently ruined what otherwise seemed to be a great time for you.

Nicole Acevedo
New England Anime Society Board of Directors 2012-2023
Live Video Productions Manager 2011-2022
Staff since 2004
kuroki
Determined Poster

Post by kuroki »

I have no problem with staff members under dressed. Especially tech. What I have a problem with are attendees under dress when others have been turned away, it doesn't seem fair,