2008 Idea: AB Staffer Charity Walk-A-Thon

This forum covers Anime Boston events that don't fit in the above forums, such as the charity auction, game shows, dances, and karaoke.
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

This was an idea I discussed with a staffer during the con, but I want to throw it out here for discussion/revision:

During the con, said staffer (I believe it was Lupa) pointed out that the Voice of God had a small pedometer on his person and that he'd already racked up 5 miles or so (this was as of Friday evening). As we all know staffers wear out a pair or two of shoes over the course of a con, so why not make a worthy cause out of it?

The basic idea would that a select handful of staffers (maybe one from each department, including one or two of the more known staffers like Patrick or Jeni) would be given pedometers to wear the entire weekend. Before the con (and maybe even during the con?), attendees could pledge money toward each mile walked by the staffer of their choice. At the end of the con, totals would be added up, money would be collected and dispersed to charity, and all would be happy.

So far the only part of this I don't know is how pledges and collection would be organized. I was also thinking that if your total donation ends up being over a certain amount, you could get thank-you gifts - reserved Masq seating in '08, special tee-shirts, manga, maybe even free pre-reg in '08 if you hit a really high threshold?

Thoughts? Ideas? I imagine this will fall under the radar because you'd need a staffer to almost exclusively manage it (and who has that?), but maybe one day...
PatrickD
AB Staff

Post by PatrickD »

[quote=dokool]The basic idea would that a select handful of staffers (maybe one from each department, including one or two of the more known staffers like Patrick or Jeni) would be given pedometers to wear the entire weekend.[/quote]
I didn't wear one last year because I really didn't want to know how far I walked over the weekend.

This year, I apparently travelled over 150 miles. ...of course, that's because I was doing airport runs. ;) I spent more time sitting down moderating guest panels than walking around.
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
Majik
AB Staff

Post by Majik »

*Hmmmmmmm* It WOULD be a good reason to scour eBay for a new Pikachu - I had the first version, the yellow one, so never got the silver version that could play with other Pikachus..
Or, you know *ahem* I could get an GROWN UP type pedometer..
But where's the fun in that?
Charity Auction MC since forever
Panelist supreme - Will host ANYTHING <3
Artists' Alley - come visit MajikCraft and maybe buy something!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MajikCraft
Lizzard

Post by Lizzard »

You still have yours? Man, I lost my Pikachu years ago in a night of drunken debauchery in downtown Edinburgh.

True story.
Lizz Donnell
2003-2008 Guest Relations
2011 21+ Lounge
PatrickD
AB Staff

Post by PatrickD »

[quote=Lizzard]You still have yours? Man, I lost my Pikachu years ago in a night of drunken debauchery in downtown Edinburgh.

True story.[/quote]
I sent you a replacement at some point I think when I found them on clearance for $3. I still have one somewhere, but haven't seen it in years. Probably at the back of a drawer or in a box somewhere.
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
jnik
Show-off

Post by jnik »

[quote=dokool]the Voice of God had a small pedometer on his person and that he'd already racked up 5 miles or so (this was as of Friday evening).[/quote]
Pretty sure he was at twenty-something by then...by the con feedback panel he was at, I believe, forty-two.
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

[quote=jnik][quote=dokool]the Voice of God had a small pedometer on his person and that he'd already racked up 5 miles or so (this was as of Friday evening).[/quote]
Pretty sure he was at twenty-something by then...by the con feedback panel he was at, I believe, forty-two.
[/quote]

I thought he said something about having taken the battery out (or the battery fell out, or something like that) and that any number was just a guess.

In any case, use him as an example - if 10 attendees pledge 50 cents a mile, and a staffer gets 40, then that's $200 just from those 10 attendees. Get 100 to pledge (some of whom might pledge more than 50 cents) and you're raising serious money.
Majik
AB Staff

Post by Majik »

[quote=PatrickD][quote=Lizzard]You still have yours? Man, I lost my Pikachu years ago in a night of drunken debauchery in downtown Edinburgh.

True story.[/quote]
I sent you a replacement at some point I think when I found them on clearance for $3. I still have one somewhere, but haven't seen it in years. Probably at the back of a drawer or in a box somewhere.[/quote]

*PRETTY* sure my poor old yellow Pikachu is gone from the move - I've seen no sign of him since NH :( -Pat, if you can find the clearance one, I'll happily throw money or costumes at you for it ;)

Mmm, Drunken Debauchery.

Back on topic -- heck, with some of our security and guest liasons, just a PENNY per mile might bring in quite a bit of cash!

That, or stick a pedometer on anyone in a DDR tourney *cackle* and see what THAT turns up...
Charity Auction MC since forever
Panelist supreme - Will host ANYTHING <3
Artists' Alley - come visit MajikCraft and maybe buy something!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MajikCraft
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

[quote=majik]That, or stick a pedometer on anyone in a DDR tourney *cackle* and see what THAT turns up...[/quote]

I'd bet one Heavy song is somewhere in the .5-1 mile range.
eidna
Determined Poster

Post by eidna »

[quote=dokool][quote=majik]That, or stick a pedometer on anyone in a DDR tourney *cackle* and see what THAT turns up...[/quote]

I'd bet one Heavy song is somewhere in the .5-1 mile range.[/quote]

If you play on Workout mode on DDR at home, it tells you the equivalent of how far you've jogged. I think one Heavy song is around .5-.6 of a mile, but it all depends on what song you're playing. :)
AB 2013: 7000 cosplay ideas I'll probably not finish
AB 2012: Normal person :O
AB 2011: Konata Izumi cosplaying Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2010: Cop-out catgirl
AB 2009: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2008: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2007: Suigintou
AB 2006: Chii
AB 2004: Chii
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

[quote=eidna][quote=dokool][quote=majik]That, or stick a pedometer on anyone in a DDR tourney *cackle* and see what THAT turns up...[/quote]

I'd bet one Heavy song is somewhere in the .5-1 mile range.[/quote]

If you play on Workout mode on DDR at home, it tells you the equivalent of how far you've jogged. I think one Heavy song is around .5-.6 of a mile, but it all depends on what song you're playing. :)
[/quote]

That would be more accurate than how a pedometer works for something like this. A pedometer works by assuming all shakes it senses are strides and that all strides are full-strides of a distance that you program into it (around 3 feet).
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
dokool
Feeds off your tears

Post by dokool »

[quote=BasharOfTheAges]A pedometer works by assuming all shakes it senses are strides...[/quote]

Who do you think would rack up more miles, the DDR players or the lonely guys attending the hentai screenings?
Rappak
AB Executive

Post by Rappak »

DDR players. We play for hours on end, non-stop given the chance. mmm Non-stop mode...
Richard Pakpreo

Volunteer 2006-2007
Junior Volunteer Wrangler 2008-2009
Senior Volunteer Wrangler 2010-2015
Treasury Staff 2016-2019
Director of Treasury 2020-2024
AliceTanzer
AB Staff

Post by AliceTanzer »

[quote=dokool][quote=BasharOfTheAges]A pedometer works by assuming all shakes it senses are strides...[/quote]

Who do you think would rack up more miles, the DDR players or the lonely guys attending the hentai screenings?[/quote]
Oh Snap!
Hopefully the DDR players!
We don't want anyone to end up like Paul Rubens!
Poor Pee-wee Herman...So sad.
Alice Tanzer

'14 NEAS Board Member
'13 EAC
'12 '13 '14 Security
'07 '08 '09 '10 '11 Security(Overnight)
'06 Security
'04 Artist Alley Co-Manager

"She has a medical degree. In fashion. From France!"
Michiyoyoshiku
Veteran Poster

Post by Michiyoyoshiku »

Great idea
eidna
Determined Poster

Post by eidna »

[quote=Rappak]DDR players. We play for hours on end, non-stop given the chance. mmm Non-stop mode...[/quote]

Not all of us do ;_; *passes out after about an hour and a half*
AB 2013: 7000 cosplay ideas I'll probably not finish
AB 2012: Normal person :O
AB 2011: Konata Izumi cosplaying Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2010: Cop-out catgirl
AB 2009: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2008: Haruhi Suzumiya
AB 2007: Suigintou
AB 2006: Chii
AB 2004: Chii
cwong617
Veteran Poster

Post by cwong617 »

[quote=eidna][quote=Rappak]DDR players. We play for hours on end, non-stop given the chance. mmm Non-stop mode...[/quote]

Not all of us do ;_; *passes out after about an hour and a half*[/quote]

I quite agree. I mean, I don't think that ddr are perfect candidates to do these kind of stuff, even if it's for fun. But I don't think alot of people will go to one ddr machine and dance for all they like. I still think that they also have to walk or run a little bit, before they go back to ddr machine.