About the Cherry Blossom Dance Class...

This forum covers Anime Boston events that don't fit in the above forums, such as the charity auction, game shows, dances, and karaoke.
Lt. Fork
Expert Poster

Post by Lt. Fork »

I've read that there will be a dance class before the actual ball to help people learn some new moves or just warm up, etc.

But what I would really like to know is that will we have to be dressed up for that as well. I'm thinking not...but I just want to be 100% sure.

(Also I didn't know where else this should go. Sorry if it's in the wrong place! Dx)
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

I wouldn't expect you would, but I could be wrong. At the very least, I think having the proper footwear would be beneficial though.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
faerietithe
Determined Poster

Post by faerietithe »

no, you don't. that would be soiling your very nice ball clothes.
just come in comfortable stuff that you can dance in.
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

The dance class will be early enough that you will have plenty of time afterward to gussy up for the actual ball. I reccomend showing up in something comfortable for the class.
Amy Caluori
Formal Dance Coordinator 2010-2018
Press Liaison 2014-2015
Formal Dance Staff 2007-2009
LeeleeTheBunny
AB Alumni

Post by LeeleeTheBunny »

Is that going to be in panel form, because the five (five? I don't remember) of us kind of lost track after a while. PT me Miya, Rebecca, or anyone else if you need any help.
-Leelee
Masquerade Coordinator 2009-2011
Video Gaming Coordinator 2011
Executive Advisory Board 2011
Eimi
Show-off

Post by Eimi »

If youre a girl doing the dance class i'd recomend the shoes youre wearing and a skirt, that way youre used to the movement in similar clothes as to what you'll be wearing. Not really a staffer talking on this one, just as a former dancer and a theatre person, since dancing in pants is different from dancing in a dress/skirt
Lt. Fork
Expert Poster

Post by Lt. Fork »

Thanks for your input everyone! It really helped me out a lot. So it looks like it's comfy pants and converse for me. :D

(P.s. I thought about wearing a skirt like you suggested Eimi, but then I remembered that I was going in a suit. But that really is an awesome suggestion xP)
LadyFae
AB Alumni

Post by LadyFae »

Hey guys,

As mentioned, there is no dress code for the class, and you will have plenty of time to change. Nobody will be turned away from the class, unless I'm overun by hundreds of people trying to get in :D

That being said, I have a few strong recommendations!

*If at all possible, wear the shoes you plan to wear at the ball. It will help make it easier for you to learn about balance and stuff :D

*I recommend against sneakers/flipflops. Because the rubber soles of sneakers are made for traction, it makes it really hard to dance in, especially for the lady. OTOH, flip flops might flipflop right off your foot :)
Rebecca Irvin Lee, lady of many hats

Anime Boston Executive Team (GR, Relations, PR, GR) 2002-2008,2013-2016
AB Formal Co-Chair 2006-2009
Ballroom Dance Instructor 2008-2012
21+ Lounge coordinator 2010-2014
NEAS Board Member 2002-2003, 2011-2016
hacker_kite
Getting the hang of this...

Post by hacker_kite »

I was just wondering how long the dance class would be.
Crazy Flower
Determined Poster

Post by Crazy Flower »

I had been told it would be from 3-4:30, and then the auditions for those who want to be partners would go right after.
MikoKikyo

Post by MikoKikyo »

Do you know where the class will be held?
nokie

Post by nokie »

ok so this cherry blossom ball im soooo going to and the lesson class im also going to be going to because i have always wanted to learn ballroom danceing, im just concerned.... can you leave the class at any time? or do u have to stay from beginning to end?

in regards to all that i have just said im also looking for a dance partner. do you have to sign up for one or is it more of just a free for all?

but i am looking for a dance partner hopefull suomeone that lives around RI or in Mass. if youd like to see what i look like heres my myspace http://www.myspace.com/64235424 send me a message if you wish to be my date to the ball. ^.^ <3
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

I haven't been instructed otherwise, but I imagine the class is like any other panel...we're not locking you in. That said, if you leave early, you're going to miss learning some of the dances.

And the ball is a social event. At the start of each song, you go up to someone and ask them to dance. At the end of the song, you say thank you, and move on to different partners. So I guess that means "free-for-all."
Amy Caluori
Press Liaison 2014-2015
Mikazuki81
Experienced Poster

Post by Mikazuki81 »

Does anyone know how the dance class will be run?
Will they be teaching seperate steps and then incorporating them into the dances, or teaching the dances one at at time?

I'm helping out with the running of name that tune, so sadly I'm probably going to be a half hour late or more and I need all the help I can get with dancing. :p Just wanted to make sure I'd still be okay showing up that late.
Miyu chan
AB Alumni

Post by Miyu chan »

The class will be taught one dance at a time. The other way you suggest confuses me, and sounds awfully complicated to teach.

However, you can always pull a dance host aside later at the ball and ask them to show you what you missed.
Amy Caluori
Press Liaison 2014-2015