Game Shows feedback ~

This forum covers Anime Boston events that don't fit in the above forums, such as the charity auction, game shows, dances, and karaoke.
Jekka
AB Alumni

Game Shows feedback ~

Post by Jekka »

This here be one of them newfangled thread things for the game shows put on by AB Gameshow staff. These there newfangled them games include:

Pictionary, Apples to Apples (Friday and Saturday), Trivia For All, Tokyo Turf Wars, Name that Toon Tune, Anime Charades, Japanime Squares, Extreme Geek, oh god I'm forgetting something aren't I what am I forgetting, you would not believe the migraine I have guys, what am I forgetting, oh sweet and sour jesus, um.... ANIME TABOO.

That's the one. Anime taboo.

Right.

Did you go, did you have fun? did you hate it? Why did you hate it? Was it my fault? ;_;

For MY part, thank you EVERYONE who made the two Apples to Apples games such a rousing success. I was not prepared to fill that massive room, which is actually two rooms put together, which means we filled two rooms, which makes us mighty.

Jekka Cormier
Game Shows
Chibi Project
Anime Unscripted
Yuusuke
Getting the hang of this...

Re: Game Shows feedback ~

Post by Yuusuke »

Hey Jekka, Spike here. Sorry I couldn't make it to more of your events this year. I was asked to come to Extreme Geek again but I had misplaced my ID. I enjoyed Apples to Apples last year, though Extreme Geek was a little over the top for me at times (carrots), but I know that's hard to gauge from people. And also is the point.

Anyway, I had fun at Japanime Squares and it was entirely your fault. Kidding. I was talking to the fine gentleman who acted as host (no really, that's a fine dude you have there; hold on to him) on the subway ride out and heard that you were thinking of cutting that one from your lineup. It didn't seem like it went as well as you wanted it to this year, partially due to the lack of participation from people outside your circle and random con-goers. I think some other problems were there too, though.

-As the demographic of the con includes younger and younger people, fewer people are going to remember Hollywood Squares.
-I think it needs to be made explicit outright that though it's good and even important to know or think you're funny as a square, you need to do it in a way that doesn't undermine the host or distract people from the game. Quips are fine, banter should probably be discouraged. Again, this becomes more important as fewer people are familiar with the source material. Maybe just a general suggestion of "in general, your responses should be from 10 to 30 seconds" would suffice.
-In the same vein, the format itself is a bit awkward without celebrities in the squares. Games like Match Game and Hollywood Squares aren't really designed for the contestants. Without a Kari Walhgreen in Center Square, people are probably coming with the dream of participating, which is going to involve a considerable minority of people. Apples to Apples works because literally everyone gets to contribute. I understand that having celebrity guests probably adds a big layer of other concerns and priorities, though, and I admittedly don't know the connections that PortCon affords you.

Have you ever had signups in advance to judge interest? As in, made an announcement in advance that you'll be looking for people to fill the squares and let them write in saying they want to do it, that they'd be good for it etc. The karaoke contest makes decent use of this system. I dunno how well it would work for you, especially with how late the schedules are being released, but just a thought.

I'd actually be curious to hear about your experiences with having such user-driven games, since the humor and insight of random con-goers can obviously be very hit or miss. Do you think it's been overall positive or do you wish there was a little more quality control, if you will? Perhaps a Nintendo Seal of Quality? (If the Cosplay Court Case people read this, I'd be very curious to hear you input as well.) The Geek Nights podcasters are very adamant that a panel is always better with less audience participation than more, and I can definitely understand why.

I hope I contributed positively to the game in any case, and I really did have fun. If you want to bounce more ideas around or if you want me to contribute to the games next year, I would definitely be down (as long as it doesn't conflict with my beloved karaoke shuffle, of course).
Nyxus
AB Alumni

Re: Game Shows feedback ~

Post by Nyxus »

Yuusuke wrote: Have you ever had signups in advance to judge interest? As in, made an announcement in advance that you'll be looking for people to fill the squares and let them write in saying they want to do it, that they'd be good for it etc. The karaoke contest makes decent use of this system. I dunno how well it would work for you, especially with how late the schedules are being released, but just a thought.

I'd actually be curious to hear about your experiences with having such user-driven games, since the humor and insight of random con-goers can obviously be very hit or miss. Do you think it's been overall positive or do you wish there was a little more quality control, if you will? Perhaps a Nintendo Seal of Quality? (If the Cosplay Court Case people read this, I'd be very curious to hear you input as well.) The Geek Nights podcasters are very adamant that a panel is always better with less audience participation than more, and I can definitely understand why.
Don't forget No Yur Meme, Jekka!

As far as signups ahead of time, I've found that they are roughly 50/50. I've found that people will sign up and then either forget or get cold feet. sometimes they do show, though...And you're right, schedule coming out so close to the con hurts that possibility.

I feel like I'd have to disagree with the Geek Night casters. All the panels I was a part of completely THRIVED off of the audience. I agree that Squares got a bit wonky, due to the things you described, but it can be improved, I'm sure.

Anime Taboo was the least audience driven, but I have ideas for the future to fix that a bit...No Yur Meme also was strongly audience driven, and admittedly a bit confused and cluttered at times due to undefined rules, but next year...oh man, Meme is gonna be great, now that I know how to run it, haha.

Thanks for being a great Square, was good to have you there! And thanks for the helpful feedback!