Karaoke Dept - What we can improve??

This forum covers Anime Boston events that don't fit in the above forums, such as the charity auction, game shows, dances, and karaoke.
otakuforlife
AB Staff

Karaoke Dept - What we can improve??

Post by otakuforlife »

Every year people come to karaoke department and have a good time.
But what can we do to make it even better for all of you? Add a theme to the dept? Some new games and contests? Less games and contests? Rules refinements and changes? This is the thread to let me know...Hi I'm your new karaoke manager this year and work for you guys :D
Brian Auxier

2024 Karaoke Co-Coordinator
2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
Coop
Experienced Poster

Re: Karaoke Dept - What we can improve??

Post by Coop »

For me, karaoke was the absolute best part of the convention. I'd go so far as to say I spent a majority of my "event" time in the karaoke room.

However:

The karaoke line is horrendously long. This is to be expected, obviously, but if I'm considering putting in for yet another 1970s super robot intro, I'd be happy to know how long I'm going to be waiting. I think, if possible, a visible list (aside from the single physical paper copy) of what songs are in queue (on a TV as a scrolling list, or on a whiteboard even as just a number of songs-to-go-after-this-one) would be useful. Of course, I can see this would probably be a logistical mess given the current signup system.

Secondly, it was never very clear to me what the period was before you would be allowed to perform another song. Was it kosher to sing your song and then immediately put down another after you got off the stage, given the traffic flow and the inevitable 30-song buildup that formed by the time you did that? Or is it on a time basis? If it was stated, I never got wind of it.

Finally, finding youtube videos of some of the performances I liked is always fun, especially if it's my fat ass on stage blundering through an Isao Sasaki classic. However, the presence of these relies on someone in the audience being interested in recording in the first place. For the competitions - there are two if I recall correctly - is it maybe a good idea for the con to "officially record" the performances and put them online somewhere? Maybe to promote the contests themselves?

I did however have a question to go in with all of this - is encouraging audience participation during the karaoke contest frowned upon for any reason? I know using a lyric sheet was purportedly a "bad thing" during that event, but I wonder if I wouldn't be able to mount the stage and sing Kotetsu Jeeg no Uta while encouraging the audience to fill in the "ban-ba-ban!" and "dan-dan-dan-da-dan!" bits..

Obviously that last bit's just a curiosity. :)
otakuforlife
AB Staff

Post by otakuforlife »

Next year we're placing numbers on the master sheet. Which should improve traffic flow and
help people know where they are in line. This numbering gives us another way to keep the line
moving. As for signing up it's as soon as you get off from the stage. Secondly, I'm looking into
getting us someone to record the event officially.. Hopefully that request will be granted. As for
audience interaction, working the crowd is always allowed.. Using the lyrics sheet for a karaoke contest
will be seen as unprofessional, but many will ignore that depending on the quality of the signer.
Thank you for the info coop :)
Brian Auxier

2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
Cave
AB Staff

Post by Cave »

We've been discussing about rules changes to make clear guidelines as to what is acceptable to sing and what's not. Since this is an anime con, we want to keep it as much in the spirit of anime and culture as we can.

Allowed:

Anime openings, endings, inserts, character themes, etc
Jpop, Jrock, etc
Kpop
Vocaloid
Japanese video game music
English versions of Japanese songs
Songs made for an anime (example: Pokemon theme and the like)
The L33t Str33t Boys

Not allowed:

American pop, rock, etc
Disney - the exception to this is if it is a Japanese version of a Disney song
Fan-made parody songs - more on this below
Songs with adult lyrics (this includes lyrics in Japanese and yes I will know)

We have had a few requests for fan-made parodies, but we've decide to exclude them. Believe me, I love the parodies myself and fangirl over ShadyVox, but there are two problems... most of them are based off American music which isn't allowed... the other is that many contain what may be inappropriate or offensive lyrics.
Heather Auxier
Karaoke Co-coordinator 2023-2024
Karaoke Staff 2010-2022
Registration Staff 2009
Coop
Experienced Poster

Post by Coop »

I can dig that strong lyrics are eschewed during the day, but is there any plan for a point toward the evening wherein a singer may, for example, belt out the english God Hand credits theme, or a similarly verboten-during-the-day song?
otakuforlife
AB Staff

Post by otakuforlife »

Sorry Coop can't let that fly during the day.. God Hand was made by Campcom so yes. But
there is swearing in the song nothing too serious. I'm thinking of having a light night
karaoke where the the rules are a little less rough in regards to song content.
However that idea will be debated on these very forums later this year. There still needs
to be some type of limit in place.
Brian Auxier

2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
Coop
Experienced Poster

Post by Coop »

Oh, yeah, I meant an after hours (8PM+? Something?) sort of "looser regulations" block of karaoke.

But honestly it really isn't a big concern, just curious. I can't, at second thought, really think of a ton of songs that would have to be swept under the "mature" category.
otakuforlife
AB Staff

Post by otakuforlife »

Yeah after considering the benefit versus convention policy it's better to stick to the old
guidelines. We want the dept to be a place where all ages can have fun.
Brian Auxier

2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
gintoki653
Expert Poster

Post by gintoki653 »

So on the sign up sheet, I want to have a 'Time' column to be added because we don't know how long one's song can be. We know the rule that it has to be under 6 minutes.
otakuforlife
AB Staff

Post by otakuforlife »

Not a bad idea... I'll look into it.. But some people have no idea exactly how long
the song they sign up for is.
Brian Auxier

2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
allanimerules1
Expert Poster

Post by allanimerules1 »

I had an awesome time at karaoke Sat, and sunday. sat I was the Rita Repulsa that everyone loved XD
but I think you need to level up and get new laptops, on sunday it was going through major tech problems.
Other than that everything else was good. cant wait for next year.
otakuforlife
AB Staff

Post by otakuforlife »

Already on it!
Talking with the big guys and crossing fingers :)
Brian Auxier

2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
Cave
AB Staff

Post by Cave »

allanimerules1 wrote:I had an awesome time at karaoke Sat, and sunday. sat I was the Rita Repulsa that everyone loved XD
but I think you need to level up and get new laptops, on sunday it was going through major tech problems.
Other than that everything else was good. cant wait for next year.
I think we forgot just HOW bad they were! At least they had no problem on Friday and Saturday, but yeah, the music one was down for like, what, 10 minutes? That's two more people who could have gone up. :(
Heather Auxier
Karaoke Staff 2010-2022
Registration Staff 2009
Aogami-P
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Aogami-P »

I wish every con's karaoke was like yours. I mean it, and to the people who said they were new to staff and new to AB especially the dude with the awesome long hair that could give Yousei Teikoku's bassist a run for his money. Minus minor sound problems and technical difficulties, the printing lyrics thing, the "asking people which version and being flexible to finding songs" thing are amazing.

I have a suggestion that will basically allow you to find a LOT more Karaoke versions of Japanese songs than Youtube, although this requires a few things:

1) Someone with a [free] NicoNicoDouga account or setting one up

2) Japanese IME installed (available on any version of Windows 7, not sure about Win 8)

2) Someone with very rudimentary knowledge of Japanese language (like how to read katakana, how to type using the IME even if one cannot read a lot of the kanji)

Basically Nico has a subsection of videos that all have 「ニコカラ」(NicoKara) in the title. So one can simply search "ニコカラ ___Insert song title here___" and a karaoke version Off Vocal may be available. Just a search for ニコカラ alone leads to 52,740 results and while some are repeats, that's a lot of songs. For example:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17499605 [Search terms: ニコカラ Cha-la]
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm18200169 [Search terms: ニコカラ アキバレンジャー]
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm2938932 [Search terms: ニコカラ ハレ]
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm20845387 [Search terms: ニコカラ Sister] (posted because this is pretty much a brand new song that has an off-vocal ver uploaded)

Cool thing is you don't really need to know Japanese, just the IME is the important part because while you guys are printing the lyrics from Animelyrics or another site, the song title is usually in Kana near the top so you can just copy part of that and paste it in the search terms along with "ニコカラ". This isn't meant to replace what you guys are already doing, but just a cool way to find actual karaoke tracks for a lot of songs esp since you guys are already using the internet.
Cave
AB Staff

Post by Cave »

I do have a Nico account and do know enough Japanese to read a manga and know what's going on, but I'm not so sure about what the computers are capable of. Though we may be able to get new ones... we're already looking into it!

I think using Nico video is a great idea! The thing is though, 90% of the people singing don't actually want to use a karaoke version. People specify if they want it, but it is maybe only 10%. Finding the songs isn't usually the problem, it's usually finding the right version. If we have a problem, the person going up is able to point to the correct one on Youtube.

We highly encourage people if they want to sing an obscure song, a certain version of a song, or a brand new song, to bring it on an mp3 player, phone, or a CD. Someone even had us use their own laptop. Another option is even sending it to us beforehand and we can add it to the karaoke hard drive.

Thank you very much for the compliments though. :D We do try our best to make sure people sing what they want and have fun doing it. I reorganized the entire lyrics box so they are MUCH easier to find now and actually in order. There's also separate sections for popular series.

http://i.imgur.com/UR9oGOq.jpg

The Vocaloid section is massive.
Heather Auxier
Karaoke Staff 2010-2022
Registration Staff 2009
Aogami-P

Post by Aogami-P »

That looks awesome! lol at the Utada section <333

My karaoke poison of choice is iDOLM@STER though haha (you may remember me and my buddies Friday night dressed as Producer with my g/f as Takane lol). Will contribute to more iM@S in future years because I am certainly coming back to A-B lol
Yuusuke

Post by Yuusuke »

Cave wrote:I...do know enough Japanese to read a manga and know what's going on
I actually meant to ask about this. If this is true, can you check the lyrics of the songs if at all possible? For example, parts of the Itazura na Kiss lyrics on AnimeLyrics are strangely romanized, and there's at least one plain ole typo. It's not a huge deal, but at least for the shuffle it's definitely something that can throw you off.
Cave
AB Staff

Post by Cave »

Yuusuke wrote:
Cave wrote:I...do know enough Japanese to read a manga and know what's going on
I actually meant to ask about this. If this is true, can you check the lyrics of the songs if at all possible? For example, parts of the Itazura na Kiss lyrics on AnimeLyrics are strangely romanized, and there's at least one plain ole typo. It's not a huge deal, but at least for the shuffle it's definitely something that can throw you off.
Ah sorry. I was pretty limited on my time this year (wedding planning + working two jobs ><) and left everything to Brian. But I shall remember to do that for next year! I know Anime Lyrics is not perfect, and certainly I have seen many typos from them, but for some reason I put too much faith in them for this...
Heather Auxier
Karaoke Staff 2010-2022
Registration Staff 2009