Dance Contest

This forum covers Anime Boston events that don't fit in the above forums, such as the charity auction, game shows, dances, and karaoke.
animeotaku2522
Experienced Poster

Dance Contest

Post by animeotaku2522 »

Not last year, but the year before there was a dance contest sponsored by someone affiliated with some japanese company or group or something. I can't really remember. But I participated in it then, and was looking forward to it last year, but it never happened... I was wondering what the reasons behind it were? If the sponsors didn't come back for a second year, would anyone else be willing to pick it up?

It was a choreography contest, where you had to perform your dance infront of the audience and judges, and the sond had to be either Japanese or from a Japanses anime or something like that. The judges conversed about who was the best, and then 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners were awarded. I remember I got a small kimono, some chopsticks, and a few other Japan-ish items.

So does anyone have an answer?
Alata
Getting the hang of this...

Re: Dance Contest

Post by Alata »

Hi, which performer were you? I also performed during the dance contest and was also sad to not see it there this year. As to the reasoning for it not being there I earnestly don't know. But if it were possible to get someone to host it again I think it would be a fun event/panel what not to have for 2012. I would attempt to host it and do prizes myself but I enjoy performing too much.

But as far as I know I believe the Japanese Embassy based in Boston was hosting it and as to their reasoning for not having it a second year, I honestly couldn't tell you. Sorry~
animeotaku2522
Experienced Poster

Post by animeotaku2522 »

I think I was in a Misa cosplay (a bad one, last minute) and I danced to Go My Way from iDOLM@STERS. which performer were you?

I would deffinetly be willing to host it, but I'm not a very reliable candidate. With me still being in high school (albeit a senior), it's not always a sure thing that I'll be going to Anime Boston. I mean, I have gone every year since Line Con (2008), but my parents, especially my mom, always threatens to not let me go. There's still a huge chance that I'll be going again this year, but because of that little chance, I can't be the one to host it, at least not until I'm in college.

If the Japanese Embasy doesn't come back to host it, could it be made into a panel, and run the same way as before? With a youtube submission and then you bring a CD or iPOD with you the day of and perform like that. And we'd have judges, and maybe some prizes. I don't know, what do you think?
Alata

Post by Alata »

I was the lacus clyne cosplayer that danced to Girl Next Doors - Drive Away and won first place.

As to your panel idea I would think that it would be possible to do so and have it run in a similar fashion. I think there would also be more candidates as we would be able to let others know about it more in advanced, where as i think when the embassy decided they were going to do it we only knew like 2 or 3 weeks in advance. As to the cd or ipod, if it were me I would have everyone email me the mp3 of their choice and then I would burn it onto a cd so that way there was no confusion on the day of and i would put it onto an ipod as a back up seeing as one wouldn't know what kind of equipment we would have to use during the panel/contest. I still agree with the judges and prizes part but in regards to prizes, you'd have to find sponsors that would be the only thing that I feel would make it potentially a bit more difficult.

Where as the embassy had money to afford to purchase prizes themselves. The judges part would be interesting though because one of the judges for the contest did indeed work as a dance instructor, I don't remember for what school in the area though.

But I think it's totally something that would be worth a shot! Normally I would be all for running one myself but if you run it you can't compete you know? An for me that's the fun part~ XD But I think it's a good idea, and I know last year there were people in the forums talking about korean dances and stuff they wanted to perform in the masq so if the music wasn't limited to just Japanese there would probably be a really good turn out!

Overall if it comes down to it I can definitely host it~ We'd just have to make sure to submit it as a panel. If I could host it, provided the embassy doesn't come back, and you were able to attend ab you would you be willing to help me run it?

Also because i forgot to address the youtube submission part, depending upon how many people were interested up front I would consider that. I think taking an hour time slot would be a good idea, but it depends upon the amount of people wanting to participate. If we get a lot of people then we would narrow down the candidates by youtube videos of what they'd like to do. Or at least that's how I would do it.
animeotaku2522
Experienced Poster

Post by animeotaku2522 »

It's good to find a fellow dance enthusiast. I don't take lesions or anything, but I used to, and still love to dance and learn choreography.

I like the idea of sending the mp3 to make things easier, but make sure you have specific instructions about how to do it. I know that I'm pretty clueless about that stuff, so if anyone else is the same, a little help would make things easier for them. And yes, the prizes would be difficult. Maybe we could make a trophy of some kind and pair it with some prizes? It all depends what kind of resources we have.

We'll have to go scouting for judges, especially if both of us want to compete :D Lets figure out a plan for recruiting people for judging and for prizes, and if it turns out that nothing works out, I would be glad to help out. Even if it is successful I'd like to lend a hand, but I'd also like to participate as well.

And yes to the youtube thing. but i say depending on the amount of people. If a ton of people are interested, we don't want to *ahem* waste time with people that will be bad (I'm thinking of the guy who did some kind of Poke'mon thing last time).
Alata

Post by Alata »

Sorry about the super late reply! Yea, in regards to the "bad" comment..I honestly felt really bad for him, because I was thinking that's not really dancing...But the point is to have fun so I mean that at least hopefully was accomplished for him.

An I have a few places I can ask in regards to perhaps prize donations. As for judges I think that will be the harder search. But lets see what we can do! (Cause yea running it would be awesome, but participating is always more fun! XD) An I think the idea of a trophy with some other prizes would be awesome~

I'll post back here when I find out some information about either prizes or judges. (Maybe depending upon who the musical guests/DJS are this year we might be able to ask one of them in advance? I know my friend got DJ Sisen to help judge at her fashion show on Friday of Anime USA)
Sayoria
AB Staff

Post by Sayoria »

No means to hi-jack, but when I saw this thread, it sort of reminded me of a video on youtube I saw...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssyYrtFlYJQ&#t=2m0s

Seeing a dance contest like this with anime fans could be quite funny. (However, of course, have people eliminated for messing up, and prizes to winners instead of punishments)

Honestly, I would love to see more dance contests in general at AB. Alot of people have talent when it comes to moving with their feet, as well as being creative.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff: 2024
moetwinstyle

Post by moetwinstyle »

Is anyone else interested in dancing at Anime Boston this year? ヽ(*・ω・)人(・ω・*)ノ
goblinkettlecosplay
Expert Poster

Post by goblinkettlecosplay »

I would love being in a dance contest but idk what to do or say.
Im going saturday only.
I will be cosplaying as Bluebird Alois, Wonderland Alois, and "Like, Dislike" Rin Kagamine.
I dont know many anime dances but i choreograph my own dances, mostly to vocaloid. And i have never took any dance lessons.
Instagram @Goblinkettlecosplay
💚2023 Lineup💚
Fri - Idol Xiao & 7-net Rem
Sat - Mushroom Venti & Power
Sun - Kagamine Rin
Attended AB since 2011!
animeotaku2522
Experienced Poster

Post by animeotaku2522 »

This wouldn't be a crazy serious competition, but I think it would just be fun. No prior dance experience would be necessary, so it would be fine.
Laser Boy
Expert Poster

Post by Laser Boy »

I'll make your bub bubs bounce