About playing music

This forum covers Anime Boston events that don't fit in the above forums, such as the charity auction, game shows, dances, and karaoke.
drgnladysupreme
Committed Poster

About playing music

Post by drgnladysupreme »

Before going into explanation, I'll pose the question. Should I go off to the side of major traffic of our fellow con-goers, would it be alright to be playing music. I don't mean from a stereo, but from a violin.

At Otakon, I plan to do an 'official' first run of a little concert in the halls. There, I know there are places safe to play without interfering with panels, or the general path people usually move through. It'd only be official, however, because that's when I'd have someone to sing along with one of the songs.
To get ready for that, however, like I've been doing with my cosplays, I need a bit of a dry run. What better place than the friendly AB?

While I'm hoping it's a case of 'if it's out of the way, not disrupting any events, and doesn't cause a safety hazard, then it's allowed,' I still want to make sure of it here first. For if it isn't allowed, I'd be content with practicing in the hotel room with my roommates. xD

And for anyone actually curious, this would be the unofficial playlist. Put down by song and where it's from.
* Devils Trill - Yami no Matsuei/Descendants of Darkness
* Bratya (Brothers) - Fullmetal Alchemist (Some parts would be considered Kyoudai, but it's derived from the piano's melody in Bratya)
* Always On My Mind - Kingdom Hearts
* Theme Song - Xena: Warrior Princess
* What Can I Say - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
* Amethyst Remembrance - Yami no Matsuei/Descendants of Darkness
* Hakkai's Theme - Saiyuki

Perhaps there'd be more, but these are the only ones I have right now. (It's alright, considering I just 'restarted' playing violin, after a decade, in October.)
J. Love Tatum
God hustle, 2016! Good hustle.
2017 is gonna be totally rad.
  • Hints will go here
  • For something old and new.
xenocrisis0153
Needs a purpose in life

About playing music

Post by xenocrisis0153 »

[quote=drgnladysupreme]Before going into explanation, I'll pose the question. Should I go off to the side of major traffic of our fellow con-goers, would it be alright to be playing music. I don't mean from a stereo, but from a violin.

While I'm hoping it's a case of 'if it's out of the way, not disrupting any events, and doesn't cause a safety hazard, then it's allowed,' I still want to make sure of it here first.[/quote]
someone asked a similiar question last year (about bringing a boombox around with him) and I'm 98.3% sure the answer was "it's cool as long as you're not within ear-shot of any of the event rooms." Staying out of the path of traffic is a given.

A little music in the hallways may be a welcome addition, so I say go for it and thanks for asking ahead of time ^____^

drgnladysupreme
Committed Poster

About playing music

[quote=xenocrisis0153]
A little music in the hallways may be a welcome addition, so I say go for it and thanks for asking ahead of time ^____^

[/quote]
Yes, I remember that thread. :) As said, I just liked making sure of things first.

I'm actually more excited than nervous to practice. Recently, I came across the music for Kyoudai's violin part. With that, and Bratja's piano melody, I was able to write up a violin part for Bratja that'd go through the entire song. I have to get used to the slurs, but I already knew the notes, and song itself.
Personally, though I'm going to need my head to be deflated, having only started in October, I think my skills have advanced a bit easier than expected. I'm adjusting to a different clef, even, having played the upright double bass before.

Thanks for the answer! I was thinking of by the wall, across the hall from where last year's Artist Alley was. That was out of the way, and out of ear shot from the events. Especially when bringing in the volume of a single violin. xD
J. Love Tatum
  • Hints will go here
PatrickD
AB Staff

About playing music

Post by PatrickD »

[quote=drgnladysupreme]Thanks for the answer! I was thinking of by the wall, across the hall from where last year's Artist Alley was. That was out of the way, and out of ear shot from the events. Especially when bringing in the volume of a single violin. xD[/quote]
Actually, we're not on the first floor this year...but have all of the second and third floors. I'm sure you'll still be able to find a good spot.
-Patrick Delahanty
Anime Boston North American Guest Liaison
Co-Founder: Anime Boston and Providence Anime Conference
AnimeCons.com | FanCons.com | The Chibi Project | Anime Unscripted™

View my Convention List
drgnladysupreme
Committed Poster

About playing music

Ah, well I can still adjust with the lack of the first floor. Who knows, I may keep those waiting to get into panels company. A little entertainment. xD

Hope no one minds a little ear blood on the ground. :p
J. Love Tatum
  • Hints will go here
faerietithe
Determined Poster

About playing music

Post by faerietithe »

[quote=drgnladysupreme]Ah, well I can still adjust with the lack of the first floor. Who knows, I may keep those waiting to get into panels company. A little entertainment. xD

Hope no one minds a little ear blood on the ground. :p [/quote]

No one will mind. Apparently people think blood is hot... >>

Anyway... last year, my friend has his guitar with him, and when we were walking around, or just waiting in those huge lines, he'd play it. It's amusing to you and people around you. I personally can't wait to see you and your mini-concert.
drgnladysupreme
Committed Poster

About playing music

Yeah, that's true. I tend to recall threads that theme the bloodiest cosplayer.

I'm not going to pretend that I'm great, or anything. Having only started about... Mid-October, I believe, it'd still be nothing more than an amateur's work. Practice makes perfect though, I know that. So I'm using my previous upright bass knowledge, and two years of music theory, to teach myself and improve. That, and if I really need to playback what I've practiced, my Zen MP3 player has the convenience of also being a recorder.

I thought this could use a bit of an update, as well. Mostly on the playlist, progress, and the likes. (Should this be moved now that it's went from a question to a planning thread, or is it fine just being here?)

* Devils Trill - Yami no Matsuei/Descendants of Darkness ~Due to the complexity of this song, being a difficult level... It may not be played more than the little intro, if at all.~
* Bratya (Brothers) - Fullmetal Alchemist (Some parts would be considered Kyoudai, but it's derived from the piano's melody in Bratya) ~This is going well. I've been making adjustments that are for sound, and comfort, to adjust for both solo and duet with a voice.~
* Always On My Mind - Kingdom Hearts ~I'm getting used to the music, being my more recent addition. Let's just say that I can at least go through it without a neighbor's ear bleeding.~
* Theme Song - Xena: Warrior Princess ~This was my first song practiced on the violin. Unless I hear protests, it's a guaranteed part of the list.~
* What Can I Say - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex ~Iffy. It might not make it here due to the incomplete sound given. As the score shows a duet, and one of that is piano.~
* Amethyst Remembrance - Yami no Matsuei/Descendants of Darkness ~This is the voicing being brought over to violin. I'll try to listen to the instrumental and add the intro and ending from that, but so far it looks to just be the voice brought into the instrument.~
* Hakkai's Theme - Saiyuki ~This one is going well. A few more practices, and I may have a winner here.~
* Wing Stock - Bleach ~Newly printed. I'll be trying my hand at it. It's pretty straight forward, with mostly eight notes and accents. I want to try it out before making a decision.~
* Tema II - Gunslinger Girl ~See Wing Stock for what I'll be doing. Looks simpler on paper, but we'll see how it plays out.~
* Sayuri's Melody - Kumo no Mukou, Yakusoku no Basho ~A lot of slurring going on here. Like Wing Stock and Tema II, I have to play it out to make a decision. Yet another newly printed piece!~
* Ginger's Theme - Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar ~Same as the other three. So much simpler looking, though.~

If anyone else has access to other violin pieces, I'd be glad to look at them. So far, I've been getting everything from Josh's Anime Music, Ichigo Sheet Music, and Gedtag's music. That, and have looked over S.O.D.A.'s archives. (May as well look at Josh's place, personally.)
J. Love Tatum
  • Hints will go here
MinekaC.
Veteran Poster

About playing music

Post by MinekaC. »

[quote=drgnladysupreme]
* Devils Trill - Yami no Matsuei/Descendants of Darkness ~Due to the complexity of this song, being a difficult level... It may not be played more than the little intro, if at all.~* Theme Song - Xena: Warrior Princess ~This was my first song practiced on the violin. Unless I hear protests, it's a guaranteed part of the list.~
* Amethyst Remembrance - Yami no Matsuei/Descendants of Darkness ~This is the voicing being brought over to violin. I'll try to listen to the instrumental and add the intro and ending from that, but so far it looks to just be the voice brought into the instrument.~
[/quote]
If you are GOING to play any of those three songs, then I shall have to hunt you down. I love those works, especially Devils Trill (which of course is exceedingly tough to do well without screeching the violin.) You HAVE to let me know where you'll be during the course of the con so I can sneak out and listen.
PS- The, I think, second Yami no Matsuei has an amythest remembrance sheet music at the beginning of the book. I can scan it and send it to you if you were having trouble finding it. Though I doubt that's the case. I shall definitly be looking for you.
drgnladysupreme
Committed Poster

About playing music

Ah, I have that booklet, which is where I was able to get the part that I have. Unfortunately, that's only the voice, and no instrumental at all. Which is where I resigned myself to only playing the vocal on the violin.

Someone proposed letting me practice and fine tune my playing with someone more experienced. I'm thinking about taking that up, though the stubborn side is saying that I should keep learning on my own. I've only half-assed my way through Devil's trill up to the middle, which is 1 1/2 pages out of 3, Trills aren't the hard part so much, so much as the areas where you have to play two strings at once. >.< Aiya, a headache it is!

Out of the ones that you said, Xena and Amethyst Remembrance are basically guaranteed for being brought. :P
J. Love Tatum
  • Hints will go here
drgnladysupreme
Committed Poster

About playing music

Alright, found Aeris' Theme, set up for Violin. Printed it out, tried it out the first time, via sight reading. I think I did pretty well on it.

So, Aeris' Theme is coming with me. xD

Also, should this be moved to the 2007 subforum, or no?
J. Love Tatum
  • Hints will go here
drgnladysupreme
Committed Poster

About playing music

Alright, so far, this is what I have for the 'play list,' in order of what I'm planning:

* Devils Trill - Intro. (Yami no Matsuei.)
* Bratja (Fullmetal Alchemist.)
* Ginger's Theme (Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar.)
* Tema II (Gunslinger Girl.)
* Theme to Xena: Warrior Princess
* Aeris' Theme (Final Fantasy VII)
* Hakkai no Theme (Saiyuki)
* Amethyst Remembrance (Yami no Matsuei)
* Always On My Mind (Kingdom Hearts.)
* Gravity (Wolf's Rain) Maybe. I just started this, and am doing alright in it.

And, I know there's a no sign policy, but would that count towards a playlist taped to my stand, with the songs on it? It's not about to be left behind. (I kinda need it for Otakon as well. xD) Either there, or 'standing' in my violin case... Something like that?
J. Love Tatum
  • Hints will go here
kuroneko¿
Veteran Poster

About playing music

Post by kuroneko¿ »

I wonder if you might not be able to learn the violin version of Lilium.

http://symphony.atspace.com/Elfenlied_L ... iolin).pdf

If you did, and I found you, I could totally do vocals for you. And really, any other song probably.

I look forward to hearing you play~!
drgnladysupreme
Committed Poster

About playing music

*Practices it*

Well, the sheet music seems off, for what's given, but I can't say much without having been familiar with the song myself. However, while I won't make a final decision till the week of Anime Boston, it doesn't look to be too much of an issue to bring along.
J. Love Tatum
  • Hints will go here
drgnladysupreme
Committed Poster

About playing music

Alright, I've been trying to practice everything. Luckily my legs don't start to ache, but my wrist does act up. (The kind of issue where you don't realize that your wrist was fractured, but thought it was sprained, didn't go to a doctor, and it healed improperly. That type of thing.) So to avoid complications, there'll be a break between the amateur performance.

Devils Trill -Prologue (Yami no Matsuei)
Bratja (Fullmetal Alchemist)
Ginger's Theme (Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar)
Tema II (Gunslinger Girl)
Theme to Xena: Warrior Princess
Lilium (Elfen Lied) -Maybe-

Break

Aerith's Theme (FF VII)
Hakkai no Theme (Saiyuki)
Amethyst Remembrance (Yami no Matsuei)
Always On My Mind (Kingdom Hearts)
Gravity (Wolf's Rain) -Maybe-

Lilium is a maybe, simply because it sounds off. I believe this is meant to be played with another instrument, with how things set out. I don't have a tempo written, or know when to switch from p to f, mf, or anything like that.
Gravity is a maybe because it's a pain to always play in the lower field of the violin, and I haven't been practicing.
J. Love Tatum
  • Hints will go here
Tabemashoo
Expert Poster

About playing music

Post by Tabemashoo »

Oh, if you end up playing Gravity that would be great.

What day/time do you plan on playing?
drgnladysupreme
Committed Poster

About playing music

That'll completely depend on the scheduling, honestly. However, it looks to be mostly on Saturday, and perhaps during the AM, before opening ceremonies, on Friday.
J. Love Tatum
  • Hints will go here