THE OFFICIAL KARAOKE CONTEST THREAD!!!

This forum covers Anime Boston events that don't fit in the above forums, such as the charity auction, game shows, dances, and karaoke.
kojika
Expert Poster

Post by kojika »

I should probably figure out which e-mail I sent it to, lol. Knowing my luck though, the e-mail never went through XD
Davyn
Expert Poster

Post by Davyn »

Well craaaaaap! I missed the cutoff! I'm going to see if I can get a video together anyways, but I didn't realize it was going to be a signup like this!

Does anyone know if all 12 are filled? Or if there's a wait list?
kojika
Expert Poster

Post by kojika »

What it sounds like tentatively is that at least 11 of those spots are filled. Read the previous pages for more info~
AkushiTakuma
Getting the hang of this...

Post by AkushiTakuma »

Still have yet to hear about who got in and who didn't. I really need to know so I can work around my schedule for that day. Will we be getting the emails any time soon????
kojika
Expert Poster

Post by kojika »

Doesn't look like anyone heard. I'm in the same predicament myself, so I know exactly how you feel! I'm sure they'll get them out soon
hamstar138
AB Staff

Post by hamstar138 »

I agree. I have been stalking my e-mail all day and still no e-mail sent out. ;____; I wish we know when they are sent out!
Marija Corriveau - Anime Boston Fan Creations Co-Coordinator 2023 - 2024
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff 2018 - 2022

~AMV Maker~

Anime Boston 2016 Trailer Winner - The Little Prince Returns
Anime Boston 2017 Editor's Choice, Judge's Choice & Best In Show - Timeless
Anime Boston 2020 Upbeat Winner - Harubaru
Anime Boston 2022 Editor's Choice - When Life Gives You Kaworu
Cave
AB Staff

Post by Cave »

Bad Pete... I'll be sure to call him tomorrow to remind him about this. -.- (Read as: I'll be sure to make -my boyfriend- call him :P)
Heather Auxier
Karaoke Co-coordinator 2023-2024
Karaoke Staff 2010-2022
Registration Staff 2009
hamstar138
AB Staff

Post by hamstar138 »

LOL. XD Go Cave!

~AMV Maker~

MonsterAmpHouse

Post by MonsterAmpHouse »

Woot! I can't wait to see if I got in! I remember last year I tried the karaoke contest and I got so nervous because I hadn't sang the song I chose in so long and I was afraid I'd forgotten the lyrics XDD But this year, I'm coming in prepared. >:D
Anime Boston 2010
Matt - Death Note
L - Death Note

Anime Boston 2011
Pajama!China - Hetalia
Urban!Iruka - Naruto

Anime Boston 2012
Mephisto Pheles - Ao no Exorcist

Anime Boston 2013
Kotetsu Kaburagi - Tiger & Bunny
otakuforlife
AB Staff

Post by otakuforlife »

Well, if you actually submitted to the contest this year your probably in and don't have to sign up at the convention. Pete is being a bit lazy here and I'll be sure to poke at him to actually send the emails out. He's a little forgetful at times but not a bad guy. Hope to see you all at the convention and look forward to the performances.
Brian Auxier

2024 Karaoke Co-Coordinator
2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
Shade of Grey
Determined Poster

Post by Shade of Grey »

Busy weekend, death in the family recently too :v And yes at this point if you submitted you are in.

There is one open slot, if it's not filled then there will be a sign-up for it at con.

And mail sent.
kojika
Expert Poster

Post by kojika »

Lol, next time, you might want to put that "you made it in" in the e-mail! I just got the email saying you got my submission, so I was totally confused...XD

but, assuming that means I DID get in, I need to start planning for it. As I said, leaving my AA for another three hours on Saturday, when I already have two hours I'll be gone for panels, is going to be really tight. I know someone mentioned it could be shorter, or that we could work something out. I'd like to be around for as much of it as I can, but I can't afford to leave my table for very long, and I can ask people to cover it to some extent, but most of my friends are already bulking at hour increments...^^;
hamstar138
AB Staff

Post by hamstar138 »

YAY I GOT IN! **super excited** THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!!!!

~AMV Maker~

Cave
AB Staff

Post by Cave »

[quote=kojika]I'd like to be around for as much of it as I can, but I can't afford to leave my table for very long, and I can ask people to cover it to some extent, but most of my friends are already bulking at hour increments...^^;[/quote]

If you can leave some kind of contact info or someone to represent you, I think that would be okay.

Though we wouldn't want everyone doing this, of course. It's only for a few people who need to be some where else. I just don't want people taking advantage of it and just going off to hang out. :p

We can also arrange the order people go up to be near the beginning or end if need be. But we do need to know in advance. :p
Heather Auxier
Karaoke Staff 2010-2022
Registration Staff 2009
AkushiTakuma

Post by AkushiTakuma »

From my understanding the contest starts at 6 and goes to 9 right??? I have to go to a family dinner that night at around 7 so I actually have to leave early so if possible I would like to perform near the beginning because I have to go to this and I can't get out of it :( Sorry :(
kojika
Expert Poster

Post by kojika »

[quote=Cave]

If you can leave some kind of contact info or someone to represent you, I think that would be okay.

Though we wouldn't want everyone doing this, of course. It's only for a few people who need to be some where else. I just don't want people taking advantage of it and just going off to hang out. :p

We can also arrange the order people go up to be near the beginning or end if need be. But we do need to know in advance. :p[/quote]

I can give you my cell phone number for contact. If I could perform pretty early, that'd be great, and if someone could contact me while it's getting towards the end, or when the judging is being tallied, etc, and could call me back, I could come back for that. I'd try to estimate the time, but it's a bit hard to do. I really hate to do it, but I know it's unrealistic to think I could be gone that long from my table, especially after having both my panels fall on the same day.

I have been talking to my mother about this, and she said if she really had to (though she'd rather not) she'd be willing to sit in for me after I left, and call me back. I usually need her help at my table with things, but if I have to, I can do that as well.

I really appreciate you guys helping me out like this <3 And I hope people videotape the entrants so I DO have a chance to see them all.
EvaChii3

Post by EvaChii3 »

I have a few questions.
One: I was accepted, although I was a little curious about the age range of this event. Just wondering.
And secondly: Is it alright if we do a different song than the one we auditioned with?
Thankies, just wanted to know. ;)
Shade of Grey
Determined Poster

Post by Shade of Grey »

All I ask is that you either let us know what song you to sing with enough time to hunt down a copy of it or better yet bring your own copy with you on cd or an ipod/etc.

Also two total slots open now. I hear nothing by thursday then they'll be available for sign-up at con.
EvaChii3

Post by EvaChii3 »

Okay, thanks! So I should just tell you the song? Or someone else? And bring an instrumental with me to the contest, right? Urk... I honestly don't know if my Nook would support the instrumental so that it's actually hearable, it doesn't get to very high volumes... looks like I'm gonna be experimenting with electronics this week...
Cave
AB Staff

Post by Cave »

We have a sound board thingee. Volume isn't too much of a problem unless the original sound file is really bad quality.
Heather Auxier
Karaoke Staff 2010-2022
Registration Staff 2009
EvaChii3

Post by EvaChii3 »

Okay, perfect! Then I'm all set. Hope to see everyone there!~
EvaChii3

Post by EvaChii3 »

Tell everyone there's another open spot, because I won't be showing up, sorry!! I have plans for Friday already and I don't have the money to attend again on Saturday. I was so looking forward to it, too!! Well, whatever. Good luck to everyone still competing!!~
AkushiTakuma

Post by AkushiTakuma »

Hey I am SO SO SO SO SO UBER SORRY!!!!! But I can't do it as well :( I found out that I have to be at my family dinner earlier so I cannot participate :( I wish it was on friday instead of saturday :(

My name is Glory Lottner on the list and Im sorry but I cannot do the karaoke contest :( :'( I'm so sad right now.
Davyn
Expert Poster

Post by Davyn »

Just wanted to let you know I've sent in my (very, very tardy) sign-up and audition! Please let me know if I'm in so I can plan appropriately! Look forward to seeing everyone there!
kojika
Expert Poster

Post by kojika »

If you have somewhere to send the song, I'm happy to send it there. I'll be bringing a copy on my iPod, and a disc, just in case, but it might make it easier to have it ahead of time, too ^^
Shade of Grey
Determined Poster

Post by Shade of Grey »

You can shoot a link to my e-mail. Should go through to me via the karaoke manager address as well.

I'm a little confused now as to the open slots now, did one of you send me a mail earlier? Looks like we got someone to fill that slot up.

Kind of need to get this figured asap so I can work out ballots.
kojika
Expert Poster

Post by kojika »

I sent my song your way...I think XD it was the same e-mail I used before (couldn't actually find an address, but I had that one in my gmail still). As I said in my e-mail, I'll be bringing some spare copies in anyways, just in case.

See ya'll tehre~
Vibrant Wings
Expert Poster

Post by Vibrant Wings »

[quote=hamstar138]I am so nervous/excited now. I will be checking my e-mail constantly tonight to see if I got in. XD[/quote]

I got in...I am feeling the same...Nervous/excited!
Ab 16

Grell
Nightkid

Post by Nightkid »

is there still open spots???
Shade of Grey
Determined Poster

Post by Shade of Grey »

At this point you can sign in for the 'backup' list. That is in case someone doesn't show up.

If you signed up before then please check in at the Karaoke room (RM 310) in the Hynes to confirm. My ability to check on the forums and e-mail's going to be spotty.
Shade of Grey
Determined Poster

Post by Shade of Grey »

If you received an e-mail then you're in.

I kind of reached a point where I was taking all submissions so we'd have enough contestants and then left it open since we weren't full and we had some drops.

As is there's about 11 of the 12 slots. If someone doesn't confirm Saturday at our room before the contest (Hard deadline by 6pm) I can't schedule contestants if I don't know if they'll make it. Unconfirmed slots will be available for someone on the backup list.

Also I'd like to request that all contestants be in the room at the start.

My apologies for any delays this year.
Cave
AB Staff

Post by Cave »

Congrats to the winners of the contests this year. We did it a bit differently, so we'd like to hear any feedback.

Off the top of my head... the winners for the contest were:

First Place: Amanda
Second Place: Davyn
Third Place: Mimi

I think this was our first time doing audience voting, so definitely appreciate good/bad opinions about that. I think the biggest problem was people leave early or come in late. I was hoping the two would balance out votes and it did seem to, I think.

Oh yeah, and for those who were there when one of our new staffers spilled water all over my computer, it has been fixed!

Things we'd like to work on next year:

Getting a lot more music. Vocaloid was very popular this year. In fact, I think the number one requested song was the Pokemon theme song and the second was Love is War.

Organizing that lyrics box! Remember if you need lyrics, everyone is free to look through it and you can of course take them in advance. Though please remember to return them. :p

I'm hoping the signing up in advance for the contest goes a bit better this year now that more people know of it. (Well, thanks to the drop outs, Shirtless Guy was able to get in anyway. lol) :D
Heather Auxier
Karaoke Staff 2010-2022
Registration Staff 2009
Shade of Grey
Determined Poster

Post by Shade of Grey »

I ended up getting the old karaoke hard drive back during con so next year will be more organized in terms of "what's available to sing'. Plan for next year is to combine the hard drive with new material and then prune away multiple copies.

Number one issue for me was relying a bit too much on youtube. Hopefully this can be solved with an updated HD and list of songs on it. (and a ton of vocaloid tracks ;) )

kojika
Expert Poster

Post by kojika »

[quote=Cave]Congrats to the winners of the contests this year. We did it a bit differently, so we'd like to hear any feedback.

Off the top of my head... the winners for the contest were:

First Place: Amanda
Second Place: Davyn
Third Place: Mimi

I think this was our first time doing audience voting, so definitely appreciate good/bad opinions about that. I think the biggest problem was people leave early or come in late. I was hoping the two would balance out votes and it did seem to, I think.

Things we'd like to work on next year:

Organizing that lyrics box! Remember if you need lyrics, everyone is free to look through it and you can of course take them in advance. Though please remember to return them. :p[/quote]

Congrats to the winners! I had asked to be called back to see who won, but alas, was not, and I had a panel at 9 so if it ran over, wouldn't anyways. Been poking around YouTube looking for the vids from it though. Found two of them so far~

But in regards to feedback...first off, as I said before the contest, I find audience voting to be extremely unfair. For instance, I drove 16 hrs to get to AnimeBoston. Meaning, I knew like no one at the con (aside a very few). Thus, people who have more people there could just get all their friends in the audience to vote. But the judging will always be very biased because of this. I usually prefer set judges cause well, they know nothing about any of the contestants, lol. Less bias.

And also, since when do karaoke contests allow people to use lyrics during the contests? I've been in a LOT during my time, and even run the one at YoumaCon, and I've NEVER seen someone do that. I thought part of the fun of karaoke was learnign the songs. Yes, even though they are in Japanese Xd it's unfair to those of us who actually freaking tried (course, I don't have the same issue as other people do cause I can understand the Japanese lyrics, but there are plenty of people I know who have won contest and have no idea what they are singing)
otakuforlife
AB Staff

Post by otakuforlife »

I understand your point of view on these topics but here's my counter to that. One we don't have a professional singer guest or karaoke expert among us so how could we be completely sure are voting would be accurate. Two audience voting would have been better if more people stayed through the whole contest. While someone may have brought a few friends popularity seemed not to figure in that much. Three as for lyrics we had some last minute fill ins who we were lucky enough to be there. Who did need lyrics to preform the best they could. Now as for the songs that were sent ahead of time and weren't on the HD, I deeply apologize for that. I scolded our manager in person for that one. Events can only get better, it's been almost 3 years since the last one. So it takes time to get things right.
Brian Auxier

2024 Karaoke Co-Coordinator
2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
Shade of Grey
Determined Poster

Post by Shade of Grey »

I was expecting people to know their song before hand, I'll make sure that's up for the next con. Couple of us came up with the general idea for the contests and I had less time than I realized (a.k.a. procastinated >_>).

Definitely would like to set a hard deadline next year and then open up the slots. I would've appreciated people signing up much earlier but again, I announced the contest perhaps with not enough time and relied solely on someone looking at the forums.

The 'bands' was too much of a distraction and not one showed up so focus will be on single performers once again. On the bright side, with only one song per contestant we were done within the 7-9 time slot.

I kind of prefer not being forced into judging, though balloting opened up the floor too much for people voting and then leaving without giving everyone a chance. I'll try and tap people, perhaps even guests, for judging. We did have a staff 'tiebreaker' in mind for someone clearly attempting to rig the voting.
kojika
Expert Poster

Post by kojika »

Lol, I just can never see having audience judging be a good thing. Sorry, but I've been shafted personally, and have too many friends shafted, just because the audience will always be biased. It's hard to entirely remove bias in total, but I think that does little to remove it. ^^;

course, it would probably also help if you guys had put the contest times and location IN the program book so people knew where to look ^^;
Cave
AB Staff

Post by Cave »

I have to disagree with saying the audience voting was biased enough to really affect things. The person who won, in my opinion, definitely was an amazing singer and did an excellent job. I'm sure the people who saw her sing would not disagree with the results.

Yes, people were allowed to use lyrics but that wasn't necessarily helping their chances. Having to look through lyrics and not knowing the song well could easily mess up a person and cost them points.

This year was hopefully a transition into something better and more serious. Karaoke, I feel, wasn't taken seriously in the past. From now on, we probably won't allow lyrics. I hope. And can get some better ways of judging going. I think it's even hard just to decide with numbers from 3 judges like we do at the shuffle contest.

I do also hope that the contest times will be included in the con chowder. That would help attendance and people's planning for when they want to karaoke themselves.

p.s.: Sorry for not calling you. No one told me you wanted a phone call with the results, otherwise I would have shortly after the contest finished. As it was, I was only going to call you and the other girl who left if one of you had won.

Also, I do want to state that we did our best in reminding people multiple times about who was who and especially for the two people who had to leave early.
Heather Auxier
Karaoke Staff 2010-2022
Registration Staff 2009
Chrissii
Determined Poster

Re: THE OFFICIAL KARAOKE CONTEST THREAD!!!

Post by Chrissii »

Heyo, not to bump last year's thread but didn't want to start one since they're generally started by the staffer running things for this... just wondering what's up with Karaoke and it's contests this year, if any?
Proudly attending Anime Boston since 2005!

2007: Haruhi Suzumiya (Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya)
2008 & 2009: Dawn (Pokémon Diamond & Pearl)
2010: Byakuya Kuchiki hoodie (Bleach)
2011: Rukia Kuchiki (Bleach)
2012: Grell Sutcliff (Black Butler)
2013: Vice Captain Rukia Kuchiki (Bleach)
Cave
AB Staff

Post by Cave »

Chrissii wrote:Heyo, not to bump last year's thread but didn't want to start one since they're generally started by the staffer running things for this... just wondering what's up with Karaoke and it's contests this year, if any?
No problem, and funny timing because we just put up a thread about the contest! viewtopic.php?f=11&t=14221

As far as I know, we'll be doing our 2 usual contests: Karaoke Shuffle (where contestants sing a random song) and the Karaoke Contest. We've also got more plans for "Karaoke Challenges" which we do randomly through-out open mic.
Heather Auxier
Karaoke Staff 2010-2022
Registration Staff 2009
striker923
AB Staff

Post by striker923 »

This thread is old, locking.
Kim Miller Brown
2022 Outreach Manager