Magic the Gathering Anyone?

Collectable Card Games (CCG), Role Playing Games (RPG), Live Action Role Playing (LARP), and tabletop games are covered by this forum.
Sayako-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sayako-chan »

As the topic name implies, I'm interested in whether or not any one plans on bringing their Magic the Gathering card decks to AB09...

I have a Black-and-Green Faeries deck, 62 cards, and it was custom-made by an old friend who is EXTREMELY good at Magic to suit my playing style...!

Beat THAT Mix-and-Match deck players!

XD

So,any other Magic players on here?
-Yes I am aware I am a fully fledged 14 year old geekette-
Roessen
Veteran Poster

Post by Roessen »

I'll be bringing my WUB control deck and my WG EDH deck. (Though I do hope I might have a prism angel deck ready by then.)

My friend'll be bringing his prism dragon deck, which everyone will proceed to hate.
I PLAY GW2 DO YOU PLAY GW2 LET'S TALK GW2 STUFF YAY
3DS Friend Code: 2921-9087-3096
NNID: Roessen
PM if you added me!
Sayako-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sayako-chan »

I think I already hate him... o_O

I have only one prism rainbow-y card,
But I still think my deck kicks butt!

It just needs a bit of tweaking, I think we're going to throw one or two more Urborg Justices in there so I can draw them a little bit faster...
Clear Blue
Experienced Poster

Post by Clear Blue »

I'll be bringing a bunch of my decks. I might take the time to tweak some existing decks, because I have like 15 just sitting in my car right now, or creating some decks for different formats. I haven't touched my cards in about a month or so, but once conflux comes out I'm sure I'll get just as obsessive as I was before.
Sayako-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sayako-chan »

:p

I LOVE my deck, have I made that clear?

LOVE LOVE LOOOOVE IT!

But it's not my only deck,
At the Magic club I belong to,
You can "reserve" any of our head-teacher's custom decks (that he made) as for your use only...

So generally speaking, I have about 6 decks...

:laugh:
Clear Blue
Experienced Poster

Post by Clear Blue »

If everyone is going to bring an EDH deck you should post your general so no one brings the same General. Like I said I have 15 decks sitting in my car that have been updated all the way to Shards. Some extended and some t2. I will be bringing a bunch of these. I also have a few decks that I have to put together inside my house. With the release of the new series we should get a decent set of multicolor, new Generals, cards.
Roessen
Veteran Poster

Post by Roessen »

My general is Tolsimir Wolfblood, and my friend's general is Scion of the Ur-Dragon.
PM if you added me!
Sayako-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sayako-chan »

YOU HAVE A SHARDS DECK?!

My friend has a Slivers deck that he pwned me with... T_T

'Cuz I'm a nooob... T_T

I'm making some major tweaks,
Well, not major-MAJOR,
Just kinda big tweaks...
Such as taking out Puppeteer Clique for more Urborg Justices,lands,and other cards...

Myyy Shiniesss...My precioussss.... }:|

Lets make this simple.
Post what kind of deck you have,
(Elves,faeries,goblins,ect. ...)
And what the majority of land type in your deck is...

Example:
My deck's creatures,sorceries,and ect., are either related to or are Faeries.
My main land types are split between Black(Swamp) and Green(Forest).

Simple,no? :o
Clear Blue
Experienced Poster

Post by Clear Blue »

The problem with me listing all my decks is, the time it would take to list them. I have tons of decks and I'm going to bring a bunch of them. I just want to make sure I don't show up with an EDH deck with the same general as someone else.

Slivers are fairly simple to take care of. You can wait until your opponent has a few out then wrath of God. Any mass creature removal usually does the trick.

I was thinking of using either Imperial Archangel or Sharuum The Hedgemon as my General. Unless anyone has a problem with that.
Death
Veteran Poster

Post by Death »

im new to the game kinda i mean ive known bout it for a long time like since ummm 2-4 years ago but no one near me plays so i kinda am bad... but i do have a couple of cards so ya ill try to bring it but ill probably lose it at some point XD and be mad all day
Sayako-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sayako-chan »

Clear Blue:
Hmm..I did think of that at some point, but then I thought that if it was a deck meant to be used in full force, it would block against mass creature wipeout cards..
I guess not.. I'll try that next time I play him,thanks!

Death:
I've only been playing for about 6 months now ^_^
But because I play constantly and obsessively I've been told I'm one of the *better* players.
>_< I am NOT - For the record
Or am I just being *modest*???
Whatever.
Just practice until your eyes fall out and your mom/dad/guardian/room-mate threatens to throw them away as they tube-feed you and you'll be fine!

^_~
Death
Veteran Poster

Post by Death »

lol thx but my parents and family r so out of it i mean 1s in Japan Marines and the others in College and mom works alot and dad just naggd me to do my Hw sooo ya im all alone
Sayako-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sayako-chan »

XD
Clear Blue
Experienced Poster

Post by Clear Blue »

There is the crypt sliver which allows you to tap in order to regenerate target sliver, but with wrath nothing can be regenrated.

If you really want to mess with your friend I think you should build yourself a changeling deck. All the Changeling will gain the benefits of your opponents slivers without giving them any benefits in return. Mos Changelings are meatier than slivers anyway.

Here is a GW Changeling deck I just put together from only Lorwyn & Morningtide cards.

4 Avian Changeling
4 Changeling Sentinel
4 Game-trail Changeling
4 Woodland Changeling
4 Imperious perfect

4 Crib Swap
4 Pollen Lullaby
4 Surge of Thoughtweft

4 Obsidian Battle-Axe

Now if you look at the changelings rules you will see that they will reap the benefits of all the slivers, but also the benefits of the Obsidian Battle-Axe and imperious perfect.
DagaYemar
Expert Poster

Post by DagaYemar »

Hey! I'm not sure what kind of deck I'll be bringing to AB (I tend to take my decks apart and build a new one every week or so) but I'll be spending a lot of time in the game room. Currently, I'm remaking my planewalkers deck. 5 colors, at least 2 of each planeswalker that's out, and plenty of holy days.

But what I wanted to tell you all about was this. http://www.youtube.com/user/DagaYemar

This is my youtube page. I make Magic cards for fun, but not just any cards. I build entire decks and sets around anime's and anime teams. To date, I have made Naruto, Deathnote, Shaman King, Love Hina, Fullmetal Alchemist, and many others into cards that fit them perfectly. Watch them, and tell me how I've done at AB!
I refuse to have a battle of wits against an unarmed opponent.
Clear Blue
Experienced Poster

Post by Clear Blue »

I liked your idea for magic cards based on certain anime. I disagreed with some of the color selections, but I only watched the Akatsuki video so the others might get better.

Really? A deck with all the planeswalkers? I still don't have any Ajani Vengeants or Sarkhan Vols. You mentioned putting a crap load of Holy days into the planeswalker deck too. I hope you're not planning on putting more than four in. Any more and it would be illegal.
DagaYemar
Expert Poster

Post by DagaYemar »

Thanks for watching! The akatsuki video was the first batch of cards I made. It was almost a year ago and not all of the akatsuki had done stuff yet, so I made my best guesses with the later ones like Tobi and Zetsu. I've gotten better.

The planewalker deck actually won me a couple of tournaments locally. I start off with Birds of Paradise and Joiner Adept, followed usually by Garruk and power out a different 'walker each turn. After a while, I don't have to cast spells anymore. I can tell you from experiance that the 'walkers work well together.

I meant to say that I had plenty of holy day-effect cards, like pollen lullaby and darkness in addition to holy days. The deck also ran the Ouphe that doubles counters, so some of the 'walkers would go ultimate the turn they came out!
I refuse to have a battle of wits against an unarmed opponent.
Sayako-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sayako-chan »

I checked out the videos,
I have to admit my fave was the Akatsuki...
(I'm a sucker for "ebil-doers"!)

You guys are so lucky to have local tournaments!

T_T

I can't wait for some *new* oppenents @
AB09...

^_^
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Post by Phantom 1 »

I want to learn how to play.
Death
Veteran Poster

Post by Death »

i remember some basic stuff FYI but i can use practice too
Sayako-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sayako-chan »

Hmm...

If you guys need help,

(I've actually had this idea for a while!)

Maybe I and some of my friends/fellow players
could make some sort of Youtube Magic tutorial videos or something...

I'll have to think about it,

But, I digress...

Your opinion?
Death
Veteran Poster

Post by Death »

may i just suggest a tutorial there like seperated from the real games and then when they get it, help them with their cards THEY bring if they cant then just help them in choosing good cards lol I do have a bit of cards and i sooo want more i bet that they will also be selling some in the con but maybe not idk its a good idea but thats off topic anyways i think we still should have this
Sayako-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sayako-chan »

Hmm..
I'm not sure if the game room could spare the space for a tutorial table?
Isn't the whole point of the room to be MOSTLY for people that already know how to play/have some knowledge...
I'm not saying *noobies* can't play,but perhaps they should get some pointers and background knowledge first...

Also,since this is an ANIME convention...
I HIGHLY doubt anyone is going to be selling Magic cards,

Then again,my deck's card covers are of the CUTEST anime style fire-fairy you've ever played against..!

^_^
Roessen
Veteran Poster

Post by Roessen »

For the past few years at least one store thingy in the dealer's room has sold Magic cards. In fact, I remember some selling WoW cards too.

I was ashamed for buying some packs since it's an anime con but I'm obsessed with card games. <_<
PM if you added me!
Death
Veteran Poster

Post by Death »

lol makes sense
Sayako-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sayako-chan »

Whoa...

Guess I was wrong then..!

=D
Death
Veteran Poster

Post by Death »

plus wanna help me set up my deck i got alot of cards kinda and stuff and idk wats a good deck
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Post by Phantom 1 »

Actually, I have a deck, but it's a really old deck, like first edition deck.
Clear Blue
Experienced Poster

Post by Clear Blue »

I'll help you with your deck. Let us know what you have in mind for a deck and what you have available to you and you're sure to have a decent deck. I have a lot of cards so if there is something I think might help your deck I might bring it along with me. I do have 15 decks already built, but I have a lot more cards to build decks with.
wdlssm
I'm new!

Post by wdlssm »

I'll also be attending and bringing along a few of my decks.

I currently only have one standard deck, but if anyone plays vintage - I'll be able to play with them with different decks.

We should have a tournament or something. The three other people I'll be bringing also play. :D See you there, and let me know how to identify each of you guys!
Death
Veteran Poster

Post by Death »

YAY ok im gonna have an organized binder to help u help me pick out cards
kamahlrf
Veteran Poster

Post by kamahlrf »

There wasn't that big of a turn-out for MTG last year as for tournaments but I do hope that changes.

I will be bringing 2 different Standard decks, and am up for tourney play, as well as drafts.

Can't wait, AB draws ever closer! (Not soon enough :( )
Clear Blue
Experienced Poster

Post by Clear Blue »

Last year I thought they did a draft and that was it. Did they do any other tournies, because I'm definitely into some healthy competition.
kamahlrf
Veteran Poster

Post by kamahlrf »

There was a booth in the dealer room that reserved some space inside of the video game hall and set up a few tables there.

As far as I know, they had maybe 1-2 standard tourneys while scratching the bare minimum of 8 players (I faintly recall 2-3 people just buying pre-mades and playing)

And ya I agree with you, hopefully it gets a bigger turn-out this year as I am up for some friendly competition :)
HellCat
Expert Poster

Post by HellCat »

My deck is a Black deck has it some blue cards and red card. This will be second time playing. So dont underestimate me!
LegendofMyth
Experienced Poster

Post by LegendofMyth »

Are most of you guys going to be playing by standard tourney rules? AKA no Skullclamp, Disciple of the vault, Artifact Lands, etc...
kamahlrf
Veteran Poster

Post by kamahlrf »

I hope so, otherwise I won't bother playing :)

Full list of banned cards and sets allowed for Standard here:

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/A ... frstandard

Doesn't mean that's what we're playing, dont look at me im not running it!, but I figured I'd post it anyway
wdlssm
I'm new!

Post by wdlssm »

I have mostly T1 (Vintage) decks, HOWEVER, I now have three T2 (Standard) decks.

I'll be up for playing anything. Standard seems more fair though. :D
Clear Blue
Experienced Poster

Post by Clear Blue »

I mostly have t2 decks, but I do have a few Extended decks. Nothing too crazy, because I actually want to have fun and not beat the pants off people that haven't been playing as long.
LegendofMyth
Experienced Poster

Post by LegendofMyth »

hmmm. Since I havn't played in years, all of my cards are from the Kamigawa block. Does that mean alot of people will refuse to play as the standard format is 10th edition and lorwyn and higher?
Clear Blue
Experienced Poster

Post by Clear Blue »

Probably not. People aren't that bent on someone playing a standard legal game. Most games I saw going on last year were multiplayer, which kind of makes standard pointless anyway.
kamahlrf
Veteran Poster

Post by kamahlrf »

[quote=LegendofMyth]hmmm. Since I havn't played in years, all of my cards are from the Kamigawa block. Does that mean alot of people will refuse to play as the standard format is 10th edition and lorwyn and higher?[/quote]

Don't take my post word for word at all XD I was just making a suggestion but I know since this is a anime convention and not my local FNM card store than the rules are often tweeked and adjusted :D
Phantom 1
Committed Poster

Post by Phantom 1 »

And if you look real closely, you can see that go WAAAAAAAYYYY over my head. :-/
Jewl chan
Experienced Poster

Post by Jewl chan »

-peeks in- Um...Hai -waves-

I love magic the gathering and am planning on bringing several decks......I want to find someone who will play again my wurm deck cause I love my worms and they are never used T-T
beware I am not the best magic player...i wouldn't say im the worst though....

anyway anyone willing to play me Ill tell you how you can find me ^-^
ill also bring my tar fiend/mycoloth beast deck and my elementals......
Clear Blue
Experienced Poster

Post by Clear Blue »

That's funny because I just started messing with my decks again. I'm building a B/G Devour deck so it must be kind of like your Tar Fiend/Mycoloth deck.
Sayako-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sayako-chan »

Whoa... I've been on hiatus from the internet for so long!
XD
I've been tweaking my deck,
Anyone else heard of those cute little buggers called 'Oona's Gatewarden', cost 1 mana and have wither et cetera?
Hee. ^_~

I'm not giving away any of my other cards..
AB is almost here!
Woot!
LegendofMyth
Experienced Poster

Post by LegendofMyth »

I'll be bringing my Isochron Scepter deck and my burn deck. It's so funny watching the different reactions I get from the scepter. =P
Jewl chan
Experienced Poster

Post by Jewl chan »

yeah I love my tarfiend/mycoloth deck it does well in tests but i get OWND at FNM T-T
still though, Anyone willing to play me with my wurms?....its my favorite deck and it never gets any attention-sniffle-
Sayako-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sayako-chan »

I'll play your wurms deck!

Don't worry,my deck never gets any attentions until I BEAT THEIR BRAINS out.

^_~

I totally would love to see how you guys react to the way a 7th grade friend o' mine handles his Slivers deck,it's INSANELY hard to beat.

The only time that deck gets beat is when our magic Club teacher goes head to head with him.
May I note that Mr.L is a player of atleast 15 years.

^_^

o_O
LegendofMyth
Experienced Poster

Post by LegendofMyth »

Man, I wish my school had a magic club. I only know of other players currently in the school and I only know 1 of them personally.