Intro to RPGs: Dungeons and Dragons

Collectable Card Games (CCG), Role Playing Games (RPG), Live Action Role Playing (LARP), and tabletop games are covered by this forum.
drorain
Expert Poster

Post by drorain »

Hey everyone, you interested in learning how to play in a table top rpg? Join me this year coming up as I'll be running several games from the D&D essentials line of products, I plan on bringing groups through the new release of the classic 'red box.' This will give you the general knowledge of how the game mechanics go in Dungeons and Dragons Essentials. I will include the other classes featured in the books Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdom and the Shadow Lands book. Each adventure is printed as a module, but I am notorius for going of script, so you guys will be able to play how you want, I'll have extra encounters and a more fleshed out senario for you to play in.

I will be proposing this to Tyler once he's begun the prep for AB, but any feedback and/or requests can be made here and I'll work it into the adventure. If you want to play in the frightful Tomb of Horrors I can run that as well.

Also willing to play/offer

D&D 1st/2nd Edition
Gamma World 4th Edition
Ravenloft the Board Game
RPGA Sanctioned play Games
starwolf8989
Expert Poster

Post by starwolf8989 »

yay! I've always wanted to play D&D! :3 awesome!
Magical
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Magical »

I kinda stalked the tabletop gaming room at AAC this year because I wanted to learn how to play D&D. A guy gave me a basic run down, but I didn't play at all.

I would definitely love to have like, an all out n00b session. XD If there was like, a specific meet up time so we could be taught, or a panel/workshop thing, that would be awesome and I would totally go. :]
drorain
Expert Poster

Post by drorain »

Okay folks, just submitted my games to smoagen, here is the titles

Learn to play can be 2 hours or 4 hour blocks, if we are having to much fun, we'll just go longer.

I'll bring characters, or make your own level 1s for learn to play and level 6s for the burninating game below. I run the game in an open format, so it's a lot of fun.

D&D Learn to Play Noob!
Interested in learning how to play Dungeons and Dragons? Want to dive into a role playing experience that has a sandbox feel in which you can do almost anything? Join me, Crazy G, as we play together in a story that will be serious, crazy or fun as we explore the world of D&D. Cliche's welcome, memes encouraged and shennanigans mandatory! System: Rules light 4th edition Essentials, 4-8 players

Burninating the Country Side!

A volcanic dragon has attacked Fieldmeadow and in an effort to slay the dread beast you've thought it'd be quite epic to slay it right in the town square...So everyone could see your glorious deeds. (That assumes you survive the battle) Unfortunately the town is now burning, and the people are a little hysterical about the damage...you have one choice...take out the witnesses or RUUUUUNNN! Play in a all out fight with a dragon, then a royal rumble with the towns people. Choose the heroes or be a couple of the villians. System: Rules light 4th edition Essentials, 4-8 players (we'll accomodate more if necessary)
Badonkadonk
Experienced Poster

Post by Badonkadonk »

Sounds awesome, I've wanted to try a real RPG since we had to make our own in my Game Design class. Is the Intro to D&D something you'll be doing several times over the weekend, or at a specific time?
chaobunny
Committed Poster

Post by chaobunny »

I'm totally up for this if I have some free time during the con. I'm a Dragonlance fan that's always wanted to play D&D, but I've never really gotten the opportunity to learn. I did a quick intro thing at NYCC this past fall but I'm still pretty clueless, so this sounds fun. :)
My YouTube Channel

Cosplays for 2015:
Jinora (Legend of Korra)

AMVs
-Somebody Who Cares (2014 Romance Finalist)
-Heartbeat (2013 Drama Finalist)
-SpiritPunch (2012 Other Finalist)
-If I Could Find You Now (2011 Romance Finalist)
-Until The End (2010 Best Romance)
-Falling From Innocence (2010 Drama Finalist)
-In a World Without Sorrow... (2009 Drama Finalist)
-Broken Wings of Love (2009 Romance Finalist)
CaptainDatsun
Veteran Poster

Post by CaptainDatsun »

Neato! I've just recently started learning some D&D at the local comic book store. I'd love to join in sometime. :D With only a couple games under my belt I'm hoping to learn more.

That Burninating whichever sounds fun. Maybe I'll sit in for both if I have the time. Of course if I've done one and someone else wants a turn at the next then I'll sit out. So exciting! c:

Question: Is it necessary to use the pre-mades or make our own there? I don't mind if that's the case, I've just fallen in love with my cowardly, athletically-challenged elf. :'D
2012} The Great and Powerful Trixie!
drorain
Expert Poster

Post by drorain »

feel free to bring your own character, level 1 or two, I'll be having some essentials characters available as well. I run very free form so anything is welcome.
Onipuck
Veteran Poster

Re: Intro to RPGs: Dungeons and Dragons

Post by Onipuck »

I'm planning on dropping in on these two games.

I have two character ideas already for what I can do(I've never played DnD myself, but I have watched my brothers and their groups play it a couple time, and I'll have one of them help me create two characters I can feel comfortable playing as).

Just out of curiosity, can you tell me the basic rules on what kind of character I shouldn't create for these things(such as a limit on what kind of things they do, for an example, a young wizard who's only interest in magic is to set people on fire for his own amusement, or a middle-aged sorcerer who has mastered the ability of manifesting frosted alcoholic beverages).
As well as any base-line rules for what would be considered a unbalanced or "Twink" character so that I can avoid embarrassing myself with my creations.

And as a final note, you have no worries about me trying to pull off the brooding/emo sort of character, since I can't stand those sorts.

Quick edit: Apparently the version my brothers play is 3.5, so I'm gonna have to figure 4th edition on my own.
Onipuck
Veteran Poster

Post by Onipuck »

Did I accidentally kill a thread?
basharoftheages
Under a bridge

Post by basharoftheages »

Check the post dates. This was from April of 2011. Pretty much any thread in this sub-forum is already long dead - there are only a hand full of people that ever post in here and they tend to only do it in the weeks right before the con.
Justin Corriveau - Fan Creations Co-Coordinator (2023-2024)
Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2022)
Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator (2008-2016)
Onipuck
Veteran Poster

Post by Onipuck »

Oh...

Sorry, I'm used to the semi-constant postings in the Cosplay section.
drorain
Expert Poster

Post by drorain »

Oni I sent you a message, I will be at PAX on Saturday of AB this year, but I plan on coming to AB fri and sun, so if they open submissions for gaming I will post a couple things, I'll let ya'll know if I'm running anything.
Onipuck
Veteran Poster

Post by Onipuck »

Wow, I just realized how old this thread is, thanks for pointing it out in the PM.

I really wish the dates were easier to spot on this forum.
CTCon_Troll
Getting the hang of this...

Post by CTCon_Troll »

Onipuck wrote:Wow, I just realized how old this thread is, thanks for pointing it out in the PM.

I really wish the dates were easier to spot on this forum.
Live gaming will have learn to play events, the thread may be old, but we will be bringing the games!
James Carpio
2012 Live Gaming Organizer
2013 Live Gaming Organizer

Connecticon Analog Gaming Director 2010-2013