Live Gaming 2011...in the Hynes, perhaps? :D

Collectable Card Games (CCG), Role Playing Games (RPG), Live Action Role Playing (LARP), and tabletop games are covered by this forum.
Synaizen
Veteran Poster

Post by Synaizen »

Basically, what the topic says. I (as well as several of my friends) didn't get a chance to go out too often from the Hynes (and I'm not staying in the Sheraton), so would it be possible to have the Live Game Room in one of the Hynes areas? I'm sure one can be put to better use for live games! And the traffic flow/popularity for the live game room would probably increase, given the incredibly large # of MTG and YuGiOh cards being sold in the dealer's room.

(Or cut the video game room in half. Seriously, WAY too large >_>)
RubyEye
Expert Poster

Post by RubyEye »

To be very honest, I think the Live Gaming is in a perfect location. The Sheraton rooms are perfect for stuff like that. The majority of people are coming down from their hotel room in the Sheraton and voila, 50 feet away Live Gaming!

I'm assuming most people come prepared with what ever mediums they have to begin with so in essence moving it wouldn't really increase traffic, it might actually take away from it.

Take a look at the video game room, when it's tucked away where it is, there aren't a lot of visitors. When it's in the Sheraton, it's PACKED. (Plus there's the advantage of staying up all night! The hotel doesn't close after midnight or w/e)
Cowboy
Veteran Poster

Post by Cowboy »

I liked this years location. Felt more at home, it was easy to get comfortable. Had no time finding a table to game on or a place to sit. Compared to the L.G.R. back in '09 this place was like heaven!

Hopallee
AB Staff

Post by Hopallee »

And just something to keep in mind, the hynes has more restrictions about how early or how late we can kept a room open, the sheraton overall has more flexibilty for late or longer programming hours. Also all but two very small rooms in the hynes are used so something else would have to be moved, in its place. So it's not impossible but room location in general is a complex decision, and *something* has to go in the sheraton after all, with our attendance we need to space the sheraton provides.
Hope McChesney
Assistant Director of Programming/ Formal Ball Co-Chair
Kagomechan
AB Staff

Post by Kagomechan »

Tyler asked to be moved to the Sheraton last year after we had problems in the Hynes in 2008.

It comes down to the following:

If someone using a meeting room in the Hynes sells something (i.e. cards, dice, etc) it is classified as Exhibitor Space. Exhibitor Space does not get the free room set up that the meeting rooms do. There is a charge for each table and chair used in the room. With the number of tables and chairs used in the LG room, this adds up quickly.

This also applies to Artists' Alley and the cost of using a space in that room goes towards the table and chair fee.
Mary Kaplan
Staff Resource Manager for Anime Boston 2013-2024
Director of Operations for Anime Boston 2006-2012
Secretary 2004-2005
Information Desk Manager 2003-2005
Synaizen
Veteran Poster

Post by Synaizen »

Ah, okay, makes sense :) was just curious, thanks for the responses!~
Yammark
Determined Poster

Post by Yammark »

The '09 Video game room was Awesome, so dark, and Guilty Gear was always out!!!!
*ahem* '10
Yamma!
Cowboy
Veteran Poster

Post by Cowboy »

[quote=Yammark]The '09 Video game room was Awesome, so dark, and Guilty Gear was always out!!!!
*ahem* '10[/quote]

You posted in wrong thread. This is a thread that talks about the Live Gaming Room not video games.
Yammark
Determined Poster

Post by Yammark »

[quote=Cowboy][quote=Yammark]The '09 Video game room was Awesome, so dark, and Guilty Gear was always out!!!!
*ahem* '10[/quote]

You posted in wrong thread. This is a thread that talks about the Live Gaming Room not video games.[/quote]

Dreadful sorry, I implied alot for that post.
What I was trying to imply, is that we get the old gaming room back, and 2010 gaming room would be the LARP room.

Once again, sorry for the inconvience.
Yamma!
Cowboy
Veteran Poster

Post by Cowboy »

Its totally cool. Next year check us out. We have some awesome demos going on for some killer games.
nagash
Veteran Poster

Post by nagash »

Very torn between the two versions. I loved it when live and video were in the same room (had a blast that year) but I understand Tyler's point about not being able to sell games/gaming materials in the Hynes.
The room it was in this year is a good fit, though, and although I know it won't happen, if there was some way to make it a 24 hour room, that would be sweet.
Eilonnwy
AB Alumni

Post by Eilonnwy »

We cannot have 24 hrs of any room.

Everything a facility can do has permits, and if you don't have a 24 hr permit, you can't run 24 hr. The Sheraton and Hynes do not have 24 hr permits.

That's one of the reasons 24 hour gaming went away.
brighteyesblake
AB Alumni

Post by brighteyesblake »

Live gaming in The sheraton was awesome, LARP had its own room and did not have to worry about outside traffic interfering with the game. I hope to see you all there again, we'll advertise where Tyler is, and have plenty of posts on where we will be. The other great aspect is we could easily accomidate 100 plus players throughout the day without having outside noise like back in 2008 when video games, table top, and the LARP were in the same room on the cold concrete floor. OUCH!
Nikki^-^