Magic the Gathering Anyone?

Collectable Card Games (CCG), Role Playing Games (RPG), Live Action Role Playing (LARP), and tabletop games are covered by this forum.
Clear Blue
Experienced Poster

Post by Clear Blue »

[quote=Chika-chan]I'll play your wurms deck!

Don't worry,my deck never gets any attentions until I BEAT THEIR BRAINS out.

^_~

I totally would love to see how you guys react to the way a 7th grade friend o' mine handles his Slivers deck,it's INSANELY hard to beat.

The only time that deck gets beat is when our magic Club teacher goes head to head with him.
May I note that Mr.L is a player of atleast 15 years.

^_^

o_O[/quote]
Slivers can be tricky sometimes, but a lot of times it comes down to one or two cards that make the difference.

If your friend plays a 5 color sliver deck, he or she probably runs gemhide slivers for mana fixing. If you can get rid of the gemhides you will slow your opponent down considerably.

Here is a deck suggestion for playing against a sliver deck. It's based around changelings because they get the benefits of all the slivers without benefiting the slivers at all.

Creatures
x4 Firebelly Changeling
x4 Skeletal Changeling
x4 Taurean Mauler
x4 Shriekmaw
x4 Cairn Wanderer

Instants/Sorceries
x4 Incinerate
x4 Nameless Inversion
x4 Blightning
x4 Raven's Crime

Land
x10 Mountain
x14 Swamp

That is just a suggestion. Just understand your opponents crucial cards to understand how you are going to defeat them. If worst comes to worst you could always run Wrath of god. You wait until your opponent has a decent amount of creatures on the board then you wipe it with the wrath. Also don't be afraid to take some damage if it means you are going to screw your opponent over the next turn with a Wrath.

otakuforlife
AB Staff

Post by otakuforlife »

This is the deck I hope to have for AB
// Deck file for Magic Workstation (http://www.magicworkstation.com)

// Lands
4 [MR] Seat of the Synod
4 [MR] Vault of Whispers
4 [MR] Ancient Den
4 [ALA] Arcane Sanctum
2 [SHM] Sunken Ruins
2 [SHM] Mystic Gate

// Creatures
4 [ALA] Etherium Sculptor
3 [MR] Silver Myr
2 [ALA] Master of Etherium
2 [CFX] Master Transmuter
1 [CFX] Magister Sphinx
2 [CFX] Sphinx Summoner
2 [ALA] Tidehollow Strix
2 [ALA] Windwright Mage
2 [ALA] Ethersworn Canonist
2 [ALA] Tidehollow Sculler
2 [ALA] Sharding Sphinx

// Spells
2 [MR] Awe Strike
2 [MR] Myr Incubator
1 [ALA] Scourglass
2 [ALA] Oblivion Ring
2 [CHK] Kusari-Gama
1 [DS] Darksteel Forge
2 [SOK] Death Denied
4 [CFX] Unsummon

Brian Auxier

2024 Karaoke Co-Coordinator
2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
LegendofMyth
Experienced Poster

Post by LegendofMyth »

I would love to run into a guy running an affinity deck. I havnt played one since the artifact lands got banned.
Cave
AB Staff

Post by Cave »

I had a fire deck that my friend made for me, but then I accidentally spilt milk all over it. ;-; It was destroyed...

Then I was working on a homosexual deck (using very shiny/gay looking cards XD), but it was getting too unorganized... So I stopped work on that and considered a faery deck.

Now I am working on a bird deck. It's nowhere near finished and doesn't even have enough cards yet. =(
Heather Auxier
Karaoke Co-coordinator 2023-2024
Karaoke Staff 2010-2022
Registration Staff 2009
towize
I'm new!

Post by towize »

ill play against your wurn deck with my esper deck,tar fiend/mycoloth?lol way to many saprolings
Spider Pride
Getting the hang of this...

Post by Spider Pride »

I'll bring my über retro deck if I can find it, although some of the cards are banned. It's like from beta. =P I also have two Onslaught deck ( anyone remember that series?) a forest/mountain and a plains/water. F/M has a cryptic gateway, amazing when mixed with the main monster of the deception deck (or w/e the F/M pack was), free summon and get some more item and he becomes something like a 23/17.
Clear Blue
Experienced Poster

Post by Clear Blue »

If you're planning on playing EDH post your general now or forever hold your peace. Naw I'm just kidding, but if you do plan on playing a little EDH would you mind posting your general just so I don't choose the same one. I was planning on running Brion Stoutarm, but if someone already has him as there general I'll run another General. It's probably going to take me a few days to build the deck so the sooner you people respond the faster I can get going.

Generals must be Legendary, but if you don't have any legendary creatures we, forum people, will see what we can do. Yes I did just speak for everybody whether you liked it or not.
wdlssm
I'm new!

Post by wdlssm »

I'll play your wurm deck. I have no problem with it.

As for generals, I'm not familiar with the concept - anyone care to explain the general concept for me a bit more?
Clear Blue
Experienced Poster

Post by Clear Blue »

EDH is a format of magic.

Reference

Follow the reference to learn the rules of EDH. It's really not complicated and it's a fun change to the normal way you play magic. If nobody is going to show an interest in playing EDH though, I'm not going to bother making a deck.
LegendofMyth
Experienced Poster

Post by LegendofMyth »

Is there going to be any structured tourney of sorts?
Stained
I'm new!

Post by Stained »

i usually only play with friends so i don't think any of my decks are standard legal. is anyone gonna be up for just casual play?

edit:wasn't supposed to be in response to anyone in particular, just couldn't find the main post reply button
LegendofMyth
Experienced Poster

Post by LegendofMyth »

@ Stained.

The only deck I have that's standard is a 40 card alara reborn deck I made from a draft. So I'll be playing casual play.
Stained
I'm new!

Post by Stained »

cool, im thinking i might pick up a box of alara reborn this week and make a deck. totally not sure though
Clear Blue
Experienced Poster

Post by Clear Blue »

Seeing as how I didn't get much of a response from my other EDH posts I assume most will not be bringing an EDH deck. I still made a couple of EDH decks, a Momir Vig, Simic Visionary deck and a Teysa, Orzhov Scion, if anyone would like to play. I look forward to some multiplayer free4all and Two-headed giant.
Sayako-chan
Veteran Poster

Post by Sayako-chan »

((Yay,I love seeing people interested in Magic!))

After looking at the official Magic post,
I still think it'll be easier to play some casual games~

I'm not used to tournaments,
So I'm thinking I'll just stick to playing with you guys. . . :D
otakuforlife
AB Staff

Post by otakuforlife »

Where will causal games be cause I might try to play some matches. Though the best time for me would be after hours in the sheraton. Look for staff whose been dressed up as Prussia.
Brian Auxier

2024 Karaoke Co-Coordinator
2024 General Helper
2024 AMV Dinner Host
Retired AMV Creator
LegendofMyth
Experienced Poster

Post by LegendofMyth »

Is there any schedule up yet for the times of the tourneys, FNM, drafts etc?
no_detection

Post by no_detection »

I'll probably bring a few decks. Right now it's looking like angels, UG allies, and Naya EDH with Mayael as the general.
MrPharisee

Post by MrPharisee »

I'm bringing all my decks. None of them are tourney-able, since quite a few of my cards are old, but they're still playable. Hell, some of them are unstoppable (at times).
Valcion
Experienced Poster

Post by Valcion »

I will be bringing all my decks, including my EDH deck and my Molten Psyche deck. Though I'm more of a fan of limited events.
2012 COSPLAYS
-Gilgamesh (Fate)
-Squarewave (Homestuck)
Granithor

Post by Granithor »

I'll bring a couple decks, they're mostly from the Alara block. Gonna try and get in on some drafts this year if they have them, as I didn't get to play AT ALL last year. lol!
dreamer101
Experienced Poster

Post by dreamer101 »

I know my fiancee and I will be bringing our decks. Only one each after we sold most of our cards, though he might have two by then.
He plays mostly aggro green and I have a metalcraft deck.
Badonkadonk
Experienced Poster

Post by Badonkadonk »

I got a freebie 30-card deck at PAX East that's supposed to be perfect for learning the game. If I get the time maybe I can find someone to show me how to play or find another total beginner to learn the game with.
ffgamer72
I'm new!

Post by ffgamer72 »

So I just started magic right after Zendikar got released but play fairly competitively. I have decks for every format T1/vintage, T1.5/legacy, T2/standard, and EDH. Looking for some casual play, some testing for eternal formats, and any worthwhile tournaments to enter.

I remember last year was a joke tournament wise and the other competitive players at the event where disappointed. Pandemonium had 15 dollar drafts with no backdrafting and a terrible prize structure even for 1st place, it was quite a rip off so we ended up organizing our own draft instead.

Anyone know if any stores are going to be running events? If there aren't I'd like to get some drafts or T2/standard tournaments going. Anyone interested just send me a message or reply here.
PhyrexiaRising
I'm new!

Re: Magic the Gathering Anyone?

Post by PhyrexiaRising »

Hey guys, nice deck lists. I just wanted to inform everyone that I do alternate/extended art to Magic cards under the name Darksteel Designs. I will be attending the con for all three days dressed as Hei from Darker Than Black, and Colonel Mustang from Full Metal Alchemist. My lovely girlfriend will be accompanying me dressed as Princess Ai so she will be hard to miss. We are going to try and attend some of the Magic events on Saturday. I will be promoting my designs by handing out business cards and if anyone seems enthusiastic I will also have twenty eight extended art cards. If anyone would like me to do a card for them before the con and meet up with them, just like Darksteel Designs on Facebook and message me. I'm sure we can work something out, and my portfolio is available for viewing. Looking forward to seeing everyone there, happy gaming :)
Akimichi Sazuki
Determined Poster

Post by Akimichi Sazuki »

Im tempted to bring my 2000+ box of cards to trade off in the swap room. I dont play anymore but i may construct a deck for shiz and giggles
You will never understand the depth of our pride
Leinad_Skeem
AB Alumni

Post by Leinad_Skeem »

Hello,

My name is Daniel. I'll be bringing three EDH decks.

Zegana (Simic Aggro)
Sen Triplets (Esper Artifacts)
Vish Kal (Orzhov Reanimator)

I will spend a goodly amount of time in the game room. I will also be bringing a binder of random trade stuff.
ElderOfNar
Experienced Poster

Post by ElderOfNar »

I have 2 standard decks I'll play against people

I have a Izzet and a mill deck

Message me here and Ill be around during the course of the evenings friday and saturday
jessikwa
Experienced Poster

Post by jessikwa »

Are there usually any events and/or tournaments for MTG? Or just casual play?
Attending AB since '09
gwen
I'm new!

Post by gwen »

I'm hoping to bring a couple decks ^^ I'm pretty new to Magic though, so I'll just be a pleb there for casual play @_@ I have a Blue mill deck, and a White Soldier/Swarm deck that I'll probably be bringing. I'm hoping to get a Red/Blue blaster caster deck prepared in time! :D
GhostLeeOne
AB Alumni

Post by GhostLeeOne »

I'll try to bring one of my decks. Won't be tournament legal (old burn and flying deck)
James Harrison
Registration 2015
Event Photographer 2016
tim_p

Post by tim_p »

I started playing Magic...18 years ago, don't I feel old now! I've lapsed from the game for awhile now, but I'd love to get in some games.
francesprince
I'm new!

Post by francesprince »

I too wish that my school had magic clubs.
RainbowSpeedos
Experienced Poster

Post by RainbowSpeedos »

Are beginners welcome to attempt to play and watch?

Ive always wanted to get into it and i have some cards, but otherwise i know very little x.x
Anime Boston '17:
  • Thursday: Pikachu Trainer
  • Friday: School bathing suit Rin Kagemine, Loli Link, Pikachu Trainer
  • Saturday: Pikachu Trainer, summer casual Rin Kagemine, Loli Link
  • Sunday: one of the above
Just turned 21 this year! Let's hang and get drinks!♡
tim_p

Post by tim_p »

I'd be glad to teach! I actually just made some basic"learning decks" to teach someone else how to play, and that went pretty well.

I'll also have some EDH/commander decks in case anyone else wants to play! On Saturday I'm planning to cosplay Asriel's "kid" form from Undertale, so might stand out. Also will always have a green-ish brown Chrome backpack with tons of buttons on it.
AnimeDan
I'm new!

Post by AnimeDan »

I want to play Magic the gathering. I start collecting since the beginning and I have to say that I have first cards ever been released. This game is awesome. I prefer red or white deck. I heard there is PC game where I can play online with other users? I just get used to play cards, but I'd like to play online with other users. It's really hard to find players in real life.